Modifying the back deck to fit in an 8" sub like the ex?!

SethCarley

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anybody ever cut out the back deck and fit in a sub??? It looks like it could be easily done, just would have to supply the hardware and dress up the back deck so it don't look ghetto.
Sponsored

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I tried it and let me save you the hassle, it is in no way worth it. The stock sub cutout will fit the pioneer 8 inch flat cone subwoofer. But you still need a 1/4 inch spacer.

With that it sounded really really bad, even with the help of Lc2i. It rattled and bottomed out with no real bass.

OP
OP
SethCarley

SethCarley

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tried it and let me save you the hassle, it is in no way worth it. The stock sub cutout will fit the pioneer 8 inch flat cone subwoofer. But you still need a 1/4 inch spacer.

With that it sounded really really bad, even with the help of Lc2i. It rattled and bottomed out with no real bass.

Thanks man. I won't do it then. Lol

I'll just stick with the hideaway sub under the seat.
I'll be installing some kicker 6.5 inch speakers later today.
The front doors will be easy but I haven't found how to do the back dash yet.
Not many videos or tutorials on how to remove the back dash in order to change the speakers.

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
I used these video to get to the rear speakers
its a pain the first time....
I suggest getting the speaker mounting brackets and wire harness
Good Luck!!!

Mestiso863

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anybody ever cut out the back deck and fit in a sub??? It looks like it could be easily done, just would have to supply the hardware and dress up the back deck so it don't look ghetto.
I haven't done the install yet but I cut a whole (with an angle grinder) to fit a 10" sub. You have to make sure you have a free air/infinite baffle sub for it to work w/o a sub box.

OP
OP
SethCarley

SethCarley

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used these video to get to the rear speakers
its a pain the first time....
I suggest getting the speaker mounting brackets and wire harness
Good Luck!!!

Thanks man! I actually did get the speaker brackets to mount the speakers to. They are rather cheap and delicate, but, do the job I need them to.
The wire adapters however I did not get, considering I'm never going back to the stock speakers.
The two door 6.5's we're super easy and not a problem.
These however will take some time considering I have to take off so many plastics to get to the back deck.

Thanks for all the help guys.
I'll be happy once these kicker KS series will be installed.

OP
OP
SethCarley

SethCarley

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I haven't done the install yet but I cut a whole (with an angle grinder) to fit a 10" sub. You have to make sure you have a free air/infinite baffle sub for it to work w/o a sub box.

You have any pictures you could send me??? Idk if I'd go with a 10, but a good 8 would be nice I think.

Mestiso863

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You have any pictures you could send me??? Idk if I'd go with a 10, but a good 8 would be nice I think.
Honda Civic 10th gen Modifying the back deck to fit in an 8" sub like the ex?! 20200322_172854

This is the only pic I have so far. Still working on sound proofing and a few other things to get it ready. I can take a pic of the finished whole later but that's about it for now.

Mestiso863

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Modifying the back deck to fit in an 8" sub like the ex?! Screenshot_20200505-095837_eBay

This is the sub I'll be installing

Mestiso863

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good luck on your project, hope it comes out good!!!!
Thanx! I didn't realize how time consuming putting sound deadening would be! :rofl:
Honda Civic 10th gen Modifying the back deck to fit in an 8" sub like the ex?! 20200328_202710
Honda Civic 10th gen Modifying the back deck to fit in an 8" sub like the ex?! 20200402_213318

Good luck with upgrade as well!

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
how much reinforcement are you putting on the deck and do you know how the sub will sound with out a box?

Mestiso863

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
how much reinforcement are you putting on the deck and do you know how the sub will sound with out a box?
I'm using a 1/2 inch cutting board that I will mount the sub to and then mount the board to the rear deck. The sub is a free air/infinite baffle sub so it is designed to not need a box.

EP3R-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MR/MGM CB500F, 2018 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
Granted mine came with the factory sub, but it's not worth a damn as everyone knows. I did something along similar lines as to not lose a whole lot of trunk space and it hits pretty good and goes lower than I expected being a small volume sealed box. I'm throwing 600rms at a Meso 8" and it does the job nicely to fill out the void in the low end.

Honda Civic 10th gen Modifying the back deck to fit in an 8" sub like the ex?! IMG_0224~photo
Sponsored