Pdpawlak09

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type-R
Country flag
I know a bunch of folks have taken out the mufflers and resonator. I’ve heard mixed results from that, but I’m curious if anyone has done other small things to the stock exhaust by either just taking out the resonator or just changing the front pipe or any other combinations.

Personally, I like the look of the stock exhaust and given that most exhaust systems for this car are purely for sound and not performance I’m curious if anyone has tried other things than the standard cut out the mufflers and resonator.
Sponsored

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did the front pipe first and honestly I can't remember if it did anything to the sound. I am currently running without the resonator and it is louder and also more drony so if you are sensitive to that I would not recommend it. Though its not just resonator delete since we made a custom "mid-pipe" which connects new RV6 3" front pipe with a 3" section mid-pipe that does not have resonator. I also have a 3" axle back that has a V-band that connects to either the stock axle back that we modified to have a v-band disconnect or a custom muffler-less axle back. Currently I am running the stock one.

I think I'd like to try with a resonator without muffler but the way we have the mid-pipe made it would be hard to weld a resonator back in.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
What's your goal for the exhaust? Noise, looks, performance?

All exhaust stock modifications after the cat is purely for sound. The factory catback isn't really a bottleneck for this engine.

OP
OP

Pdpawlak09

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type-R
Country flag
What's your goal for the exhaust? Noise, looks, performance?

All exhaust stock modifications after the cat is purely for sound. The factory catback isn't really a bottleneck for this engine.
Yea, I get the stock exhaust isn’t a performance bottleneck. I’m after sound while keeping the stock aesthetics. Curious what combinations folks have tried

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Yea, I get the stock exhaust isn’t a performance bottleneck. I’m after sound while keeping the stock aesthetics. Curious what combinations folks have tried
I haven’t found any that sounded good enough for me to swap out the OEM exhaust.

Part of it is just that these turbo 4 engines don’t sound good. The Veloster N is an exception, but I believe they were able to make those noises by tweaking the tune. You can dump extra fuel when you lift off so the fuel combusts in your exhaust system.

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Beware, taking out the resonator or muffler will introduce drone that is much more noticeable when driving with passengers. Even the stock setup has a subtle but tolerable drone but I can’t imagine having it drone any louder than it already does.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As noted by @Rich19Si the drone is actually A LOT worse in the back seat than the front....

I did what I did to drop weight on the exhaust system(stock one is actually decently light, but we were able to get 20lb out of it). In hindsight though I'd plan better to be able to put a resonator in...

martindtjr

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
TYPE R 19, Sienna XLE15, Xa 06, Camry 92
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I
As noted by @Rich19Si the drone is actually A LOT worse in the back seat than the front....

I did what I did to drop weight on the exhaust system(stock one is actually decently light, but we were able to get 20lb out of it). In hindsight though I'd plan better to be able to put a resonator in...
I'm not in the back. But, I would like a louder exhaust, it's too quiet. I'm looking at just modding the stock exhuast.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
I ran Ultimate Racing catLESS DP/FP combo with the stock exhaust and it was barely noticeable sound wise. I went with GReddy 2 tip and bought the *OPTIONAL separate front section to keep it an honest FULL 3in all the way through. All in the GReddy was $800 and I love the sound. The local Porsche club commented on the good sounds as well.

If I had to do it again, I would try cutting the whole rear muffler section off the stock exhaust and try that.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I ran Ultimate Racing catLESS DP/FP combo with the stock exhaust and it was barely noticeable sound wise. I went with GReddy 2 tip and bought the *OPTIONAL separate front section to keep it an honest FULL 3in all the way through. All in the GReddy was $800 and I love the sound. The local Porsche club commented on the good sounds as well.

If I had to do it again, I would try cutting the whole rear muffler section off the stock exhaust and try that.
Is it their new DDR exhaust? That's gotten high marks from people who have bought it.

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
I have mufflers and 1st small resonator deleted. Doesn't actually drone that much, and actually sounds pretty decent down low(you get a bit of burbling which is nice). Only issue I have is that there is no sound after 4.5k RPM. All you hear is the turbo induction sound, aka dyson vacuum.

n2da2nd

It's Senor Bane to ya
First Name
Nam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know a bunch of folks have taken out the mufflers and resonator. I’ve heard mixed results from that, but I’m curious if anyone has done other small things to the stock exhaust by either just taking out the resonator or just changing the front pipe or any other combinations.

Personally, I like the look of the stock exhaust and given that most exhaust systems for this car are purely for sound and not performance I’m curious if anyone has tried other things than the standard cut out the mufflers and resonator.
Same opinion on the look of the OEM exhaust.
I'm in to hear feedback on the muffler delete method as well. Been thinking about that but not really want to have any drone noise in the cabin.
Honda Civic 10th gen Modifying stock exhaust PSX_20200428_164203-01

FJ26

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag

So I've been looking at resonators and muffler tweaks too and was hopeful pulling one would be a quick and cheaper fix. S2K guys have been doing that for a while now.

Unfortunately, I think we may be SOL here. From the clips I've heard with resonators and/or mufflers removed, it does not sound good and more drone (granted sound quality could be bad) to me. As others have said, it's hard to make and I-4 with a turbo sound good.

Haven't looked into the front pipe but not sure how much that would impact the sound with a stock system? Maybe someone with more experience on that, could chime in?

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Is it their new DDR exhaust? That's gotten high marks from people who have bought it.
No, it is the 2 tip with the single muffler.

martindtjr

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
TYPE R 19, Sienna XLE15, Xa 06, Camry 92
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I did the muffler only. It's a bit louder and no drone. I kept both resonators. This is how it should be. Stock is way too quiet. On youtube fyingato has a video.
Sponsored