Modify condenser intake?

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Is there a way to modify the condenser intake to block more of larger rocks that can damage it?? My 2006 looked like swiss cheese after a few years of highway driving. (many people had AC leaks caused by it).

The Accord has a Honeycomb type grille that seems like it would protect better. The 2016 Civic seems very open - see attached

Honda Civic 10th gen Modify condenser intake? Condenser
Sponsored

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Take a look at some of the 911 forums for GT3RS bumpers - you'll find a good number of DIY write ups on how people added mesh screens, similar to what you find on Cup / RSR cars to screen out debris. The principle and supplies will remain largely the same I imagine.

Also, minor syntax, but that isn't a condenser. It's a radiator, heat exchanger, or intercooler. The condenser is located under the hood, the "intake" for which is the an air duct, which typically feeds off above the headlights (haven't checked to see where it is on Civics yet).

hal9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Looks good. Over on the Element forums it's known as the HD(Home Depot) mod. After doing it to my Element I was amazed at the junk that collected on it. I'll be trading my '05 Element for a Civic this week. Looks like I'll be doing it all over again. Sad we still have to zip tie gutter guard from Home Depot to a brand new Honda to protect it.

OP
OP

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Didn't know that Element users did something similar!

I may have to move my license plate holder up also. The dealer mounted it so low that it blocks some of the top opening of the intercooler.

WOPcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I used gutter guard that is 90% open (see pic). It should at least take the first hit when the larger rocks hit the intercooler.

20160103_104210_resized.jpg
Hey hunter44102, how did you put the gutter guard behind the grille? Did you have to remove the entire front bumper, or did you slide it in from underneath the bumper?

OP
OP

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey hunter44102, how did you put the gutter guard behind the grille? Did you have to remove the entire front bumper, or did you slide it in from underneath the bumper?
No you don't have to remove anything the way I did it. Its TWO separate long strips that go in the front of those vertical plastic pieces. I secured the two strips using tie wraps to those vertical bars.

By putting them in the front, there is less chance that it can somehow end up touching the intercooler.

I have 2280 miles so far with no issues

WOPcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Oh, that's a great idea! Putting it on the outside really saves you from a lot of work. I'll give it a try too, when I have time. Thanks!

andi_sf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring WOP
This looks quite sporty too - I always felt this unstyled opening looks a little lame. I wish there would be some easy aftermarket honeycomb or crosspattern solution. But this is a great solution which can be easily reversed. hunter44102 - how did you fix it at the very ends (left/right) since there is no vertical bar accessible. Could you also post which exact gutter guard at Home Depot this is?

Although cable ties do the job - if anybody comes up with an idea of using anything that is more invisible to the eye than the cable ties then this almost looks perfect...

Last edited:

andi_sf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring WOP
I used gutter guard that is 90% open (see pic). It should at least take the first hit when the larger rocks hit the intercooler.

20160103_104210_resized.jpg
Could you post a picture of the full frontal part of the car so we can see how it looks from a little more distance with all of the car in view? Thanks in advance!

regularguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX w/sensing, 16 Civic EX
Country flag
No you don't have to remove anything the way I did it. Its TWO separate long strips that go in the front of those vertical plastic pieces. I secured the two strips using tie wraps to those vertical bars.

By putting them in the front, there is less chance that it can somehow end up touching the intercooler.

I have 2280 miles so far with no issues
Just saw this post. I am definitely doing this as soon as possible. 30k miles and it's sheer luck that a stone hasn't damaged my condenser yet.