Modifications/Basic Bolt Ons Without Tuning?

Boarshead77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW FK8; previously, 2011 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I’m new to turbo cars, having driving a few NA Hondas before with just basic bolt ons. I know this may sound simple, but what modifications can be done without a tune? Intake, cat back exhaust? I understand that a tune always is best, but can these be done without risking damage to the car?
Sponsored

NMRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Vehicle Showcase
I too am interested in this as i cant currently afford motec, would like to get exhaust components of some sort and an innercooler for now but concerned about safety as ive seen it said both increase boost a bit, maybe together is more than the factory tune can handle. Maybe Vit can do some pulls when prl gets him their exhaust stuff to do a safety check for the community ;)

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m new to turbo cars, having driving a few NA Hondas before with just basic bolt ons. I know this may sound simple, but what modifications can be done without a tune? Intake, cat back exhaust? I understand that a tune always is best, but can these be done without risking damage to the car?
You can upgrade almost any of the above, without a tune. But of course a lot more power with a tune. It can also keep any CEL's from appearing. An intake can sometimes cause a CEL, and also the Downpipe. A defouler(a longer small peice of metal, that screws into the downstream port for the OBD2 sensor) can also keep it off most of the tiem, but it can appear without one day. An OBD2 Reader can usually get rid of the errors, but a tune would be better. Upgrading the turbo would require a tune though.

OP
OP
Boarshead77

Boarshead77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW FK8; previously, 2011 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm honestly just considering a cat back exhaust right now for a little better sound. I would be ok with nominal gains. I just don't want to cause damage (I don't really think that would happen). Eventually, I will probably go the Hondata route if, God willing, it comes together. I had a Hondata and a custom tune on my FA5 and it was the best money I spent on any car, ever... lol

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, if you're looking for power on the 1.5t, a catback has been shown on other threads to make essentially no more power. If power is your goal, look elsewhere. If sound is what you're after, go for it.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I wouldn’t be looking into bolt ons for power gains, you’ll get none. What you need to do is just wait for tuning. Do cosmetics and enjoy your car till it arrives.

NMRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Well, if you're looking for power on the 1.5t, a catback has been shown on other threads to make essentially no more power. If power is your goal, look elsewhere. If sound is what you're after, go for it.
AFE and PRL both claiming gains from front pipe alone so I dont understand how a full catback which would include this does nothing, nor have i seen a dyno to confirm. To my understanding most turbo cars love to have the exhaust opened up some. Personally i have just been considering the front and down pipe opposed to making the car louder with a catback.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AFE and PRL both claiming gains from front pipe alone so I dont understand how a full catback which would include this does nothing, nor have i seen a dyno to confirm. To my understanding most turbo cars love to have the exhaust opened up some. Personally i have just been considering the front and down pipe opposed to making the car louder with a catback.
Yes turbocharged cars with a reasonable sized turbos do. Ours is so tiny that a huge exhaust doesn’t really do much, change out the turbo for a bigger one and maybe that big 3 inch full turbo back will actually produce some gains worth while. Maybe a full exhaust would provide some gains, but it’s nothing like you are thinking.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are
There are already threads on this. Why don't you read up on PRLs build car? That'd be a good place to start.

NMRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Yes turbocharged cars with a reasonable sized turbos do. Ours is so tiny that a huge exhaust doesn’t really do much, change out the turbo for a bigger one and maybe that big 3 inch full turbo back will actually produce some gains worth while. Maybe a full exhaust would provide some gains, but it’s nothing like you are thinking.
my subaru with a similar or smaller turbo even loved 3" exhaust.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Post the data man, I’d love to see it. Anyhow completely different engine, displacement, brand and car as a whole. Can’t compare that here, it won’t help.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not knowing your car... but I think think that's isnt so. I though, at least the old WRXs had TD04s. This is a TD025. Much smaller.

Front and Down pipe help. Cat back does not... or at least it's in the realm of 'negligible' WRXs/STIs had 2/2.5L engines with a turbo that'd move more air. I get it, the principles are the same. It's a smaller motor. At the amount of CFMs of air you can pump in at what the little motor can take and the turbo can push, the cat back isn't restrictive enough up limit the power. Maybe with E85 and another turbo... sure. If you're looking for bang for the buck... intake... tuner... pipes... tune. Look at that stuff.

Again, this has already been covered. Snow White I'm pretty sure covered this. Read.

Last edited:

sushi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type R
I wouldn’t be looking into bolt ons for power gains, you’ll get none. What you need to do is just wait for tuning. Do cosmetics and enjoy your car till it arrives.
Not trying to disagree, however, some of the bolt on items are showing horsepower gains on dyno sheets. What am i missing? I am completely new to turbos and my last car was a Hellcat. I’m by no means expecting Hellcat fast, but am I wasting $ on a Mish cold air intake and a PRL intercooler?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag