Modifications/Basic Bolt Ons Without Tuning?

NMRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Vehicle Showcase
also there are different versions of the tdo4 and id imagine that the one on the fk8 is bigger or at least more efficiant as the one on my wrx was said to be out of its range at much lower boost levels than the type r is currently running stock.

I dont think many people would argue the benifits of a down pipe on a turbo car, all the factory ones ive seen have been choked down to hell.

A catback would could and should by definition be replacing the stuff behind the cat which includes the A pipe/mid pipe/front pipe, again i think most would anticipate some sort of gain.

Lastly the OP and my post were and are comcerning safety untuned NOT power output... we can all agree the tuning is key for output and even safety no one is denying it...
Sponsored

8yourv8

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Tuning is the best first mod to do before anything else and you also get to data log your car to see how it operates before doing all the bolt- ons. A three inch system will increase airflow and make more power but the question becomes why are you upgrading? For power, racing, or just for the hell of it. I went down the path wiwith my Evo 9 and all i can say is tuning is everything.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
Tuning is the best first mod to do before anything else and you also get to data log your car to see how it operates before doing all the bolt- ons. A three inch system will increase airflow and make more power but the question becomes why are you upgrading? For power, racing, or just for the hell of it. I went down the path wiwith my Evo 9 and all i can say is tuning is everything.
Honest question here.....what happens if an engine related problem occurs and it's taken to the Honda dealer for diagnosis repair? Even if the stock tune is put back in beforehand, might there not be a trace somewhere in the diagnostics that an aftermarket tune was done and the dealer could refuse to do the repair? I get the whole Magnussen case and I can see how that relates to bolt-ons. I'm not worried in the least about an issue with my car relating to the CAI or Invidia exhaust I have, but a tune is turning up the wick via the computer, and that seems to be a very different proposition regarding warranty.

Now, for someone that does not care about the warranty, that's a different story. The CTR is not an expensive car, as car prices go, so I'm sure there are folks out there who tune the car to the max and if something breaks, they fix it or pay to have it fixed. Nothing wrong with that.

I would love to get a tune done to get the most out of the car, but this is what has always kept me from doing it on any car, while it was still under warranty. Should I not be concerned?

NinjamanCTR

Space Force Special Forces
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.
Honest question here.....what happens if an engine related problem occurs and it's taken to the Honda dealer for diagnosis repair? Even if the stock tune is put back in beforehand, might there not be a trace somewhere in the diagnostics that an aftermarket tune was done and the dealer could refuse to do the repair? I get the whole Magnussen case and I can see how that relates to bolt-ons. I'm not worried in the least about an issue with my car relating to the CAI or Invidia exhaust I have, but a tune is turning up the wick via the computer, and that seems to be a very different proposition regarding warranty.

Now, for someone that does not care about the warranty, that's a different story. The CTR is not an expensive car, as car prices go, so I'm sure there are folks out there who tune the car to the max and if something breaks, they fix it or pay to have it fixed. Nothing wrong with that.

I would love to get a tune done to get the most out of the car, but this is what has always kept me from doing it on any car, while it was still under warranty. Should I not be concerned?
This is why you can buy a spare ECU or "PCM" (powertrain control module), clone it, then tune. You'll swap in STOCK PCM for dealership visits if needed.

jefxfree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, EK hatch
Country flag
This is why you can buy a spare ECU or "PCM" (powertrain control module), clone it, then tune. You'll swap in STOCK PCM for dealership visits if needed.
Also it depends on what breaks.

If you tune your car and the power windows break they can't deny that because one is not related to the other.

So you wont lose the entire warranty even if they find out you modded.

NinjamanCTR

Space Force Special Forces
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.
Also it depends on what breaks.

If you tune your car and the power windows break they can't deny that because one is not related to the other.

So you wont lose the entire warranty even if they find out you modded.
Always better safe than sorry but you’re right. Powertrain warranty is separate from structural.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
ah, interesting option.....thanks.

8yourv8

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I had a chance to get my car dynoed the other day and the first pull on tge sheet is nothing done but a k&n filter. The next 2 runs are hondata 93 octane tune added.

Honda Civic 10th gen Modifications/Basic Bolt Ons Without Tuning? 20180824_141024
Sponsored