or should I get the model Y performance lol
Sponsored

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not an apples to apples comparison... depends on what you're looking for:

Model Y would have way better tech, more practical space, and it's an EV with a lot of range. It also costs twice the price if you're going for the performance trim.
The CTR is going to handle far better, is going to be more engaging to drive, and has a decent MPG depending on how you drive it. It costs far less than the MYP.

Personally, the Y is ugly as hell, so CTR all the way...

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I would get the Type R any day and twice on sunday over a boring golf cart I mean tesla.

Yes tesla's are quick, but where is the fun the soul?

You would give up -

- Stickshift
- Engagement
- Noise and fun

And get a golf cart with amenities and a big screen to annoy you by being so big and in your face.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
How much traffic do you sit through? Tesla with Autopilot for mundane driving.

I have both the Model 3 and a CTR. They compliment each other.

OP
OP

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
  • Banned
Not an apples to apples comparison... depends on what you're looking for:

Model Y would have way better tech, more practical space, and it's an EV with a lot of range. It also costs twice the price if you're going for the performance trim.
The CTR is going to handle far better, is going to be more engaging to drive, and has a decent MPG depending on how you drive it. It costs far less than the MYP.

Personally, the Y is ugly as hell, so CTR all the way...
I would agree on this one. I even think the brake system on the 2020 CTR is supposedly just as good as the acura nsx 200k , this was on a review .

I do like the space and hatch appearance of the model y, gas is still cheap. I had hondata on my 2018 type r which will be traded in . My car payment will be 30.00 less on the 2020 CTR even though my interest rate is a bit higher , about 600.00 more over 6 years.

I do like honda's and was lucky to find another champ white. Seems in my region this color is not being pushed as much vs previous years 2017-2019

OP
OP

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
  • Banned
How much traffic do you sit through? Tesla with Autopilot for mundane driving.

I have both the Model 3 and a CTR. They compliment each other.
I do not sit in much traffic , I was just thinking about getting a car that can be more comfortable to travel in. I guess I could put some motegii rims from tire rack, 19" and some all season .. unsprung weight should be considerable less with the new rotors on the 2020 and using aftermarket rims since the 2020 has 2.5lb less as well

OP
OP

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
  • Banned
I would get the Type R any day and twice on sunday over a boring golf cart I mean tesla.

Yes tesla's are quick, but where is the fun the soul?

You would give up -

- Stickshift
- Engagement
- Noise and fun

And get a golf cart with amenities and a big screen to annoy you by being so big and in your face.

Living in the mid west where it snows and is cold all winter

AWD is a plus
Cold and batteries do not mix for millage on a tesla
I guess I can easily solve this on winter tires or a good all season traction? Or should I get strictly winter tires for the CTR? I also think no matter what car you buy living on a mountain and ice and snow are going to be an issue unless you are using chains.

I wish the 400HP STI was released already

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
I've also been eyeing the Model Y. Cant afford it currently, but it provides an interesting value proposition.

It'll be faster in day to day driving than the type R, probably more comfortable, lower maintenance costs, costs pennies on the dollar to fill, and you have the convenience of charging at your own home and never visit a station ever again.

My next vehicle will probably be an EV to be totally honest. CA gas prices are stupid. Maybe that's the intended effect.

Also, if you spring for the FSD option, might be able to relax and let the car do the work (when they eventually work out the kinks).

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Living in the mid west where it snows and is cold all winter

AWD is a plus
Cold and batteries do not mix for millage on a tesla
I guess I can easily solve this on winter tires or a good all season traction? Or should I get strictly winter tires for the CTR? I also think no matter what car you buy living on a mountain and ice and snow are going to be an issue unless you are using chains.

I wish the 400HP STI was released already
Snow tires will be more than sufficient with the Type R to give you mobility and confidence on the road. The only thing it lacks, well so would the Tesla, is a ton of ground clearance. But neither car should be going down non shoveled roads of a crazy depth, so I think it's a non issue.

Get the Type R - it's one of the last ridiculously fun stickshifts you will have an opportunity to own. I'd take it, as it sits, over an STi (had one in 08), even a new one I'd wager because it will be much heavier than the current Type R.

Good luck - but go test drive a used Type R then report back when you buy a new one after you feel what we're all going on about like idiots lol.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
The slowest Tesla is still faster than the Type R. Flat torque, no gears, etc.

Depends if you want to row through gears or hear engine noises. EVs are superior for daily driving in almost every aspect IMO.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've also been eyeing the Model Y. Cant afford it currently, but it provides an interesting value proposition.

It'll be faster in day to day driving than the type R, probably more comfortable, lower maintenance costs, costs pennies on the dollar to fill, and you have the convenience of charging at your own home and never visit a station ever again.

My next vehicle will probably be an EV to be totally honest. CA gas prices are stupid. Maybe that's the intended effect.
What is the true cost though?

- When your battery wears out - what do you do? What's the cost to replace?
- Are tires really that much cheaper?

Tesla's are very attractive up front - but have a horrible used market because nobody wants to take the risk - and if you 'plan to keep forever' - research the replacement battery cost - it's really not that attractive over the life of things I don't feel.

Then you really remove driving excitement and just replace it with road noise and wind noise.

Thrilling I'm sure lol

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Depends if you want to row through gears or hear engine noises. EVs are superior for daily driving in almost every aspect IMO.
Faster doesn't mean it is more fun. I'd challenge anyone to put me in any Tesla that would be more entertaining in any driving situation than a Type R.

The GTR is CRAZY fast - but most that have it or drive it say it is numb and not really that fun to drive. They had a head to head with the GTR versus a Mitsubishi Evolution X GSR - and the reviewers came away more entertained by the EVO and would rather have it on the daily lol.

Fast is fine and good - but true driving excitement, at least for me and a lot of others, is a mixture of many elements - the rowing of gears, the screaming of the engine, the visceral feelings of torque. Tesla doesn't provide that same feedback because it's just a golf cart really - push pedal - battery juices you up and you're gone - Yawn.

OP
OP

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
Snow tires will be more than sufficient with the Type R to give you mobility and confidence on the road. The only thing it lacks, well so would the Tesla, is a ton of ground clearance. But neither car should be going down non shoveled roads of a crazy depth, so I think it's a non issue.

Get the Type R - it's one of the last ridiculously fun stickshifts you will have an opportunity to own. I'd take it, as it sits, over an STi (had one in 08), even a new one I'd wager because it will be much heavier than the current Type R.

Good luck - but go test drive a used Type R then report back when you buy a new one after you feel what we're all going on about like idiots lol.

I have driven the type r for almost 2 years. trading mine in for 2020 msrp :)

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
What is the true cost though?

- When your battery wears out - what do you do? What's the cost to replace?
- Are tires really that much cheaper?

Tesla's are very attractive up front - but have a horrible used market because nobody wants to take the risk - and if you 'plan to keep forever' - research the replacement battery cost - it's really not that attractive over the life of things I don't feel.

Then you really remove driving excitement and just replace it with road noise and wind noise.

Thrilling I'm sure lol
8 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Most original owners don't keep the car that long. This is a misconception for Teslas.

Tire costs are same.

Insurance will generally cost more for Tesla.

Teslas actually hold their value pretty well. Also a misconception.

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/02/18/tesla-model-3-has-least-amount-of-depreciation/

Cost is only a factor if your alternative is to buy a luxury German car IMO. If you're buying a 35-40k Honda, then total ownership costs are probably pretty close.

OP
OP

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag

I already have two 50amp outlets installed in my garage. I do not think I would get any EV credits 4k less since I am retired and have no taxed income coming in. I do think the tesla build quality is awful , paint issues, body fender gaps, other issues with interior could be a headache at 70k . I think the slowest tesa is still not as fast as a hondata type r as once you hit 100+mph the tesla would choke and the CTR would pass it. I also think a CTR would blow it away on the highway going in and out of traffic.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.