Rustlinjimmies

First Name
Meh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
reasons I've never leased a car, cant go far because of the miles and if you do end up in the penalty for the mileage its so insane how much more you'd end up owing a lease. Unless you plan on owning it outright when its up mod it all day long but if not you'll just be playing with fire if for some reason the car fails while modded and tuned
Sponsored

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Wait......You can lease a type R? I may sound dumb saying that. But they don’t even let you test drive, less you cut a check, then they give the keys. By what others say on here. :confused1:
Yeah, my Type R is leased.

My Si and hatch were leased as well

All 3 modded too lol

Not sure why people are saying you need to buy the car out right if modded. When I returned my Hatchback, my dealer just said bring in the stock parts and it's fine.

I didnt even install the stock parts back I just put it in the trunk and the dealer did It themselves, picked up my modded parts the next day lol.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
There is nothing wrong with modding a leased car, but you should be aware of what you're getting into. You're on the hook for the car just as if the car was purchased. With that being said, keep in mind that if you blow it up you will likely need to fix it before turning it in if that is your plan. Simple mods are obviously easier to reverse and allow you to sell them to recoup some of the cost, or use them for your next car. Before you decide how far you are going to mod the car, I would decide what your end goal is.

Will you be buying the car after the lease is up? If so, mod away and don't worry about anything as the car is practically financed.

Will you be trading in it? If so mod away as well, when your trade in a leased car the dealer will evaluate the vehicle value, if they don't pay it off you will owe the negative equity just like if it was financed.

Will you be turning it in? This is where you should be considerate of your mods, whether they are reversible or not. Some mods the dealers will not care about like tint, better tires, factory accessories, lighting upgrades, etc..... Basically things that don't change the car drastically visually and functionally.

Michael's FC2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX sedan
Country flag
Remember that buying out a lease is SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than buying new or buying a similar used car.
Umm I don't know what you're talking about man. At least in Canada that is. The cheapest APR for my car on finance was 3.5% , I'm leasing my car at .9% for 4 years. But I will have the money in my pocket to pay off the car at the end of the lease if that makes a difference. I actually did the math before I did the lease, I saved myself about $2,500

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Easily reversible mods like tuning or something like that are perfectly reasonable imo. You spend the $450 for the KTuner device so you're going to have to swallow that cost but other than that, all you're basically doing is making the car more fun to drive for how ever long the lease is for $450. Worth it to me. All the lease states is that you need to give it back the way you got it.

Your dealer can't do anything about those mods really and I doubt they would really care.You said you have an intake and intercooler with are both reversible mods, so the only thing you'd be losing out on is the money sunk into those mods if you end up giving the car back at the end of the lease. But I know MANY people who mod their cars and sell if after a couple years and IMO doing it to the leased car is the exact same thing. A car is not like a home, it's a depreciating asset. I wouldnt go beyond those mods though if you're not very confident that you're going to buy the car out. The less things you have to reverse back to stock when you give it back the less headache and money you're going to have to shell out.
Sponsored

Last edited: