WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
let’s not get into what a track car actually means when literally you can take almost anything to open lapping..now that it’s on a track does that mean it’s a track car..no

But when this civic on 20’s is out performing cars twice it’s cost and other vehicles that may also be categorized as “track cars” then maybe it is a track car lol

we can go on about this forever, and this car is capable..no shame in people keeping it stock..not everyone is running down the worlds famous tracks.
Some of us bought a Type R to enjoy it, make it faster, and make ourselves faster as well.
Some of us bought it to HAVE a Type R.
I know which category I'm in.
Sponsored

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
let’s not get into what a track car actually means when literally you can take almost anything to open lapping..now that it’s on a track does that mean it’s a track car..no

But when this civic on 20’s is out performing cars twice it’s cost and other vehicles that may also be categorized as “track cars” then maybe it is a track car lol

we can go on about this forever, and this car is capable..no shame in people keeping it stock..not everyone is running down the worlds famous tracks.

Theres definitely nothing wrong with keeping the Type R stock, if thats how you truly feel. the thing that bothers me, and im sure some other people as well are the "Keep it stock" elitists, some of which use it as an excuse. This comment is not directed at anyone here, but you find these types of folks in all types of car groups.

Find me the most coveted car that people appreciate in stock form. Ill find someone who wants to put a set of raceland coilovers and an obx muffler on it guaranteed. :D

LSUFANDAN

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Grey Civic Type R
Country flag
In my 20's I had a RSX Type S. Of course I had full bolt-ons lol. I sent my ecu to hondata. The car was so much fun. I loved the NA motor with vtec. It was reliable and fun. That is the main things I remember about the car.

In my 30's I had a WRX STI. Of course I went full bolt-ons with it also. Had Cobb Accessport. I went Perrin full stage 2 kit. Didn't have any issues with the car. Was fun but not as fun as the RSX. Just remember that getting power out of that flat 4 was harder than a inline 4.

In between these cars I usually had large trucks lol. Both times were Chevy Trucks. Every time I get one I love them at first but grow to hate how crappy American made vehicles are made. Just so many issues. Recalls after recalls for so many things. Had a lifted Z71. It was beautiful but it just started falling apart after the warranty expired.

I am now in my 40's and traded in my Z71 for my 2019 Civic Type R. Only mod I have is JB4. I think the reliability issues I had with the trucks has made me just enjoy a good reliable vehicle more. JB4 makes the car feel a bit faster. JB4 has some pretty good features. Im pretty happy with it the way it is. I think with my current income I would be more likely to upgrade the full car for something with more power if I get the itch now. Probably hard for me to find a fun car that can fit a full 2021 Specialized Diverge in the trunk with seats down. Might do Hondata after the warranty ends.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
In my 20's I had a RSX Type S. Of course I had full bolt-ons lol. I sent my ecu to hondata. The car was so much fun. I loved the NA motor with vtec. It was reliable and fun. That is the main things I remember about the car.

In my 30's I had a WRX STI. Of course I went full bolt-ons with it also. Had Cobb Accessport. I went Perrin full stage 2 kit. Didn't have any issues with the car. Was fun but not as fun as the RSX. Just remember that getting power out of that flat 4 was harder than a inline 4.

In between these cars I usually had large trucks lol. Both times were Chevy Trucks. Every time I get one I love them at first but grow to hate how crappy American made vehicles are made. Just so many issues. Recalls after recalls for so many things. Had a lifted Z71. It was beautiful but it just started falling apart after the warranty expired.

I am now in my 40's and traded in my Z71 for my 2019 Civic Type R. Only mod I have is JB4. I think the reliability issues I had with the trucks has made me just enjoy a good reliable vehicle more. JB4 makes the car feel a bit faster. JB4 has some pretty good features. Im pretty happy with it the way it is. I think with my current income I would be more likely to upgrade the full car for something with more power if I get the itch now. Probably hard for me to find a fun car that can fit a full 2021 Specialized Diverge in the trunk with seats down. Might do Hondata after the warranty ends.
I find myself wanting to pick up an RSX to have strictly for the track. Im talking completely gutted, FBO and K pro and not have to be worried about totaling it out or something. I took a ride in a friends RSX around a smaller track in my area that was modified the way I mentioned and I was grinning and laughing the entire time. was such a blast. The K20A/Z are great engines and one of the best sounding when boosted imo.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Holy hell reading through all of these posts I feel like I'm reading a Corvette forum.

Sound like a bunch of guys who'd rather stand around at a Cars and Coffee talking about how good the car is stock wearing these...
415445_102_P1.jpg
Dude, you FUCKIN NAILED IT RIGHT THERE!!!
I see them shoes at my local Car & Coff in the Vette, Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari, Lotus sections all the time!
Huge high-five to you! :)

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm definitely more on the side of keeping it closer to stock. I'm fairly tame when it comes to driving so the most i've done is slap a tune on it and put in the acuity shifter. I don't imagine I will need any more power when I don't even push it much further past 60%. Overall, it's my only car so a commuter, hauler, grocery getter, and overall awesome to drive. To put it another way, if I know I have to drive all over the place, why not drive something I would actually love to drive.

Aside from that, I was considering doing some more cosmetic things. I do have side markers and wide angle side mirrors, which are nice. Although I am seriously considering different wheels or tires because I don't think I want to keep replacing the stock continentals over time lol

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Intresting article regarding downsizing rim size on the CTR. Thoughts?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...5683452/smaller-lighter-wheels-hurt-handling/
This article has been shared to death ? You do get a tad bit of torque steer by increasing offset; this has nothing to do with a smaller diameter wheel. If you could find an 18” with a +60 offset, you will not negatively affect the handling. That said, even with the little bit of torque steer (which is more than manageable), the pros outweigh the cons IMO.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Show me one track car in the world that comes with 245/30/20's. I'll wait.

While you're scouring Google, should we address the fact that the TCR Honda cars are using RV6 sway bars and a bunch of other aftermarket suspension parts? They created a very capable out the box, autox car, but a track car in stock form it is not. I had mine at an HPDE in stock form and it was awful.
The TCR cars also don't have a ton of HP yet they seem to work well.

I bought my CTR for track and street use and at this stage it needs better suspension and tires before it needs power. Coming from a C5Z06 Corvette, it is clear that the CTR has less grunt but the seat, gearbox, aero are better and the brakes are vastly better. The CTR is a vastly more useful car than the Corvette and will be used for that a lot more while still being able to do track duty.

That being said, the CTR still needs way more camber, 18" wheels, better tires and race brake pads to be enjoyable at the track. Having massive increases in HP will only make it more difficult to drive and will lead to lots of wheelspin as well as ridiculous cooling issues. I don't care much about HP on the street.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
The TCR cars also don't have a ton of HP yet they seem to work well.

I bought my CTR for track and street use and at this stage it needs better suspension and tires before it needs power. Coming from a C5Z06 Corvette, it is clear that the CTR has less grunt but the seat, gearbox, aero are better and the brakes are vastly better. The CTR is a vastly more useful car than the Corvette and will be used for that a lot more while still being able to do track duty.

That being said, the CTR still needs way more camber, 18" wheels, better tires and race brake pads to be enjoyable at the track. Having massive increases in HP will only make it more difficult to drive and will lead to lots of wheelspin as well as ridiculous cooling issues. I don't care much about HP on the street.
A C5Z is also 20 years old at this point. And 400 hp, which isn't a ton of HP compared to modern cars, or the FK8 for that matter. I don't see much point in the comparison.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
A C5Z is also 20 years old at this point. And 400 hp, which isn't a ton of HP compared to modern cars, or the FK8 for that matter. I don't see much point in the comparison.
The C5Z06 is still considerably faster on track without any suspension or engine mods than the FK8 due to its significant wgt/hp advantage and lack of turbo lag but that doesn't make it more enjoyable. The FK8 is much more enjoyable on the street and in some ways just as enjoyable on the track even with the drop in HP. Adding more power would be nice but the cost in terms of cooling etc are not worth it and putting more power to the front wheels will end up being self limiting in terms of track performance.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
The C5Z06 is still considerably faster on track without any suspension or engine mods than the FK8 due to its significant wgt/hp advantage and lack of turbo lag but that doesn't make it more enjoyable. The FK8 is much more enjoyable on the street and in some ways just as enjoyable on the track even with the drop in HP. Adding more power would be nice but the cost in terms of cooling etc are not worth it and putting more power to the front wheels will end up being self limiting in terms of track performance.
I dont know about considerably faster. Both cars in stock form I would imagine people would give the edge to the CTR being almost 20 years newer. It lapped the ring faster than the only C5 Z06 listed. Id rather have a C6 GS over a C5 z06 though, those seem to be pretty stout track cars especially in stock form.