Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
Mitsubishi (MHI) recently got CARB approval for their 2017 to 2020 Civic Si turbo upgrade, and we now have these in stock with USB flash drives! This means you can purchase and use this product on the street, wherever you might live (even in California). Please note that you must load the CARB approved FlashPro tune to get this 50-state legal emissions status (there is also a race-only one provided on the USB flash drive).

More info on this awesome, emissions-friendly upgrade:

Did you know that MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) makes the OEM factory turbo for your 10th Gen turbo Civic Si? They are actually one of the world's premier designers and manufacturers of turbocharger units. Amazingly, they also recently started making aftermarket turbo upgrades using the same world-class manufacturing design, precision, and materials that made Honda choose them in the first place as an OEM supplier.

This MHI turbo upgrade is a high-performance, drop-in version of your factory Civic Si turbo. That means the installation is basically as easy as putting in another turbo from your dealer. Besides simply allowing more airflow due to upgraded compressor and turbine wheels, this MHI turbo has many other advanced features built in, such as: double hydrodynamic bearings, non-ferrous metal castings, and Inconel exhaust turbines. This turbo is made in Japan too!

The combination of OEM-quality, reliability, efficiency, and power is why we consider this MHI turbocharger to be the best overall turbo upgrade for your 10th Gen turbo Civic Si.

Click here for more details, pics, and to purchase: https://www.procivic.com/p/m/civic/mitsubishi-turbocharger-mhi-oem-turbo-upgrade.html

Please email [email protected] for a special forum discount on this kit! :cool:

Honda Civic 10th gen Mitsubishi MHI Drop-In Turbo Upgrade - CARB Approved for Civic Si 1625684609721-

Honda Civic 10th gen Mitsubishi MHI Drop-In Turbo Upgrade - CARB Approved for Civic Si 1625685157469-

Honda Civic 10th gen Mitsubishi MHI Drop-In Turbo Upgrade - CARB Approved for Civic Si 1625685171168-

Last edited:

Crough

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Don't mean to be a hater, but anyone considering this turbo should watch this video in its entirety before making their purchase.

OP
OP
procivic

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
From what I know, they didn't use the correct oil. Again, this is just what I heard, but it seems they started with 0W-20 and then ended up with 15W-40. None of those oils are recommended by MHI. Just stick with 5W-30 or 10W-40. It is also possible they didn't pre-lube the turbo properly. It's just a bit unbelievable that three turbos in a row failed due to them getting defective turbos...from an OEM supplier. There are plenty of people running this setup without issue and the other shops we've spoken to that followed all the install recommendations haven't had any issues. So, I think that's what's going on here and unfortunately it's some bad press for MHI regardless.

Ex-t hammer

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EX-T 6spd sold. Accord 2.0 10AT '18
Country flag
I read it states L15B7 I might sound obvious but can this fit on my non si? Might be future purchase and I'm thinking if I can keep the torque down a bit.

Crough

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
From what I know, they didn't use the correct oil. Again, this is just what I heard, but it seems they started with 0W-20 and then ended up with 15W-40. None of those oils are recommended by MHI. Just stick with 5W-30 or 10W-40. It is also possible they didn't pre-lube the turbo properly. It's just a bit unbelievable that three turbos in a row failed due to them getting defective turbos...from an OEM supplier. There are plenty of people running this setup without issue and the other shops we've spoken to that followed all the install recommendations haven't had any issues. So, I think that's what's going on here and unfortunately it's some bad press for MHI regardless.
You may very well be correct. As someone considering a turbo upgrade myself, I think that both the linked video and your response are an important part of an open discussion. That's why I felt compelled to post it.

If what truly happened was that the installer failed to follow directions three separate times, leading to turbo failure each time, then I am perfectly willing to accept that explanation.

I appreciate your response.

Ex-t hammer

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EX-T 6spd sold. Accord 2.0 10AT '18
Country flag
You may very well be correct. As someone considering a turbo upgrade myself, I think that both the linked video and your response are an important part of an open discussion. That's why I felt compelled to post it.

If what truly happened was that the installer failed to follow directions three separate times, leading to turbo failure each time, then I am perfectly willing to accept that explanation.

I was reading the comments from the YT video cough cough not going to say who but there was a couple commenting how they been running reliability as of the time.

OP
OP
procivic

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I'm glad you brought it up too, actually. On their YouTube video, Edge did definitely preface the whole thing with "don't let this be an MHI bash" it ended up kind of being that anyway because of their results. It's just unfortunate because you really have to know every single detail of what happened during that install. If we had heard about a ton of turbo failures, we wouldn't be carry this product, and it would also just be kind of crazy in my opinion of the factory supplier to mess up a turbo so bad that the defect rate was like near 100% (in Edge's case).

Last edited:
OP
OP
procivic

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was reading the comments from the YT video cough cough not going to say who but there was a couple commenting how they been running reliability as of the time.
Well, that would certainly be weird. Again, it's a shame that some bad press is out there on this turbo. I really believe it's an awesome product from everything I know about it.

OP
OP
procivic

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I read it states L15B7 I might sound obvious but can this fit on my non si? Might be future purchase and I'm thinking if I can keep the torque down a bit.
Yes, it will fit the non-Si. We actually do list those applications.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have over 12k miles on mine running 0w-20 for 4k and 5w-30 for 8k miles.

I also doubt three turbos in a row were improperly installed.

Given the randomness of the successful installs and the fails, I completely understand why there's reservation

racerguy180

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Acura Integra GS-R 2001 Acura Integra GS 2014 Acura MDX Advance
Country flag
I'm interested just for the fact it's CARB approved.

OP
OP
procivic

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't want to imply that they didn't know how to install the turbo or anything. Clearly they've done this kind of thing many times. Simply saying that them having problems with 3x turbos in a row is an extreme outlier in terms of looking at all the data I can see on this kit. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Seems like maybe there is some combination of things going on here.

I do know that the 15W-40 oil they used in the last turbo install is too thick and will cause issues, even if you properly pre-lube the turbo. On a side note, 15W-40 is too thick for L15 engine too. MHI should have made the oil recommendation more prominent since it is pretty important (possibly due to the hydrodynamic bearings) in this turbo. It seems this wasn't done when the turbo first came out last year.

Last edited: