jugraj

First Name
Jugraj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T Coupe
Country flag
I was driving down the street the other day and I noticed a grinding sound occasionally from underneath the car. When I reached home and looked below, I could see a small plastic part hanging. I went to a garage the next day and the mechanic told me the entire underbody shield is missing and the part hanging was what was remaining of it. He said its a common issue with the 10th Gen civic and most people don't bother to replace it as its an expensive part (around C$200+ taxes and labour). It doesn't make a lot of difference besides some added protection and smoother aerodynamics. Now with spring around the corner, I wanted to get my car washed but my options are limited due to the current situation and everything shut down. My best bet is automatic car wash (PetroCanada) which is close to my house but I am worried about the underbody cleaning might damage something under the engine since now its all exposed.

Should I go ahead with the wash? I have driven the car through snowstorms and heavy rainfalls and even puddles and it seems to be good so far. Are there any members who have lost their underbody covers and encountered any issues because of it? Are there any important components below the engine bay that can be damaged if sprayed with water?

Thanks
Sponsored

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You'll be fine. The underbody tray is mainly for aerodynamics. Cars used to not come with them before, and they stood up to water just fine.

The reason they fall off is because people can't figure out how to put them back on after an oil change. It's one reason why I do my own.

OP
OP
jugraj

jugraj

First Name
Jugraj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T Coupe
Country flag
You'll be fine. The underbody tray is mainly for aerodynamics. Cars used to not come with them before, and they stood up to water just fine.

The reason they fall off is because people can't figure out how to put them back on after an oil change. It's one reason why I do my own.
Thank you for the quick response. I did have the thought about how older cars had exposed underbody and did just fine but then, cars back then cars weren't this complex and didn't have any sensors too.

Funnily enough, the first thing the mechanic asked was whether I had recently gotten an oil change? I hadn't, I bought the car used and it was probably missing the cover since the day I got it but I never bothered to look underneath the car and that was probably wrong on my part.

I guess I will go ahead with the car wash and hope for the best and probably get a replacement cover once all this over. Thanks again!

amilee

First Name
ami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag

So I got under the car to do my first oil change (my first time, not the cars) and noticed I didn’t have one at all! I’m having a hell of a time finding a replacement. Which civic do you have?

V3N0M_VZL4

First Name
Mauricio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI
Country flag
I have seen that and do like it, but is there a reason when I go to confirm, it says it doesn’t fit in my car? That actually happens on all the Honda parts websites too.
You always can confirm with the vendor before make the order but I believe should be fine.
Sponsored