Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
I went to get my oil changed today and the tech in the pit hollered out saying he wasn't going to do the oil change because all of the bolts from my skid plate were missing. He went on to say he didn't want to be held responsible. They then said the last person to do the oil change probably forgot to put them back on. Honda was the last ones to do an oil change on my car.
I don't have access to a lift so I've never looked underneath my car.
Is there another means that these skid plates are actually held on besides bolts? I am hoping the tech was mistaken.
If not I guess I'll have to call Honda and convince them they forgot to put the bolts back on during my last oil change.
Sponsored

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
This is the reason why I always do oil changes on my CTR, they always forget to put back some of those bolts that hold the skid plate.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
The skid plate is held on by some tabs and two philips screws in the front and twist pins. I'm guessing they forgot the twist pins.

I would get it in paper and call up the dealer that did the previous change.

They're seen in my DIY video here:

OP
OP
Dragnet

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
Thanks. I called the dealership. I'm taking it up there Saturday.

Zane Longden

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had this same issue (tech missed fastening hardware during oil change) when my plate started dragging mid 90 mile trip. Didn't want to fight with the dealership AND more than likely have it happen again, as I have oil changes for life from my dealership. Might I suggest an aftermarket skidplate.

https://www.baddannlv.com/product-page/test-civic-15-21-skid-plate-si-type-r-coupe-sport-sedan

It is slighly more expensive than stock replacement but I think its worth the cost for the piece of mind it gives. Has access hatches for the tech to get at the filter and drain plug with just 1 bolt each. I just got mine a few weeks ago and want other civic drivers to know this quality product is out there and worth the cost for the multitudes of potential problems that it corrects.
Honda Civic 10th gen Missing Bolts from Skid Plate? 20230109_151320

Last edited:

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
I've had the dealer miss two bolts on mine.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
Same ^^^^.

Always nice to have some around. Even doing my own oil changes, some get lost or damaged.
I have both the Amazon set and an OEM set. One difference I can see is that some of the Amazon sets don't have a shoulder on the screws. The OEM set does. Look at the pictures on Amazon before you buy.

Just a note on the Phillips screws - they're #3, not #2. A #2 screwdriver is much more likely to strip them if they're rusty or very tight.

Last edited:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I went to get my oil changed today and the tech in the pit hollered out saying he wasn't going to do the oil change because all of the bolts from my skid plate were missing. He went on to say he didn't want to be held responsible. They then said the last person to do the oil change probably forgot to put them back on. Honda was the last ones to do an oil change on my car.
I don't have access to a lift so I've never looked underneath my car.
Is there another means that these skid plates are actually held on besides bolts? I am hoping the tech was mistaken.
If not I guess I'll have to call Honda and convince them they forgot to put the bolts back on during my last oil change.
Those front two bolts, if not properly tightened, will fall out. Ask me how I know. Just get two bolts and screw back in. If they left out the twist tabs - you really need to rethink trusting anyone doing your oilchange and do it yoruself. There are only two screws at the front that if they don't tighten, can drop out.

For anyone interested - this is the proper screwdriver for those screws. Side note - this is the best manual screwdriver I've ever owned -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E55DL4I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Perfect form for palm turning / torque / also works for fingertips. I bought one for all my friends too lol.

CTR39322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR(sold) DE5 Acura Integra
Country flag
I wish the 2 Phillips head bolts could be changed to hex head bolts. Would be much easier to remove and install. I added a drop of blue loctite last oil change, due to one of them falling out.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I wish the 2 Phillips head bolts could be changed to hex head bolts. Would be much easier to remove and install.
Just need the right screwdriver - the one I just linked literally locks in and feels perfect to torque down / remove. Before getting that one I used a craftsman phillips and it felt off / damaged the bolt. You need that Japanese style phillips head it feels perfect when you have the right head for the screw.

Chizzo

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type r, 1996 civic ex
Country flag
Ive been driving around for over 2 years now with no skid plate, rip that out and enjoy better engine cooling, mine balloned open at about 160mph and now i have no more issues and my oil changes are faster hehehe.

23Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '06 AP2
Country flag
I got tired of losing those front screws so I'd apply blue loc-tite to them every time I reinstall the cover.
Sponsored