Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Hey Guys!

I hope everyone had a great weekend! I just wanted to drop in the next installment of our Race Intake development on this Tuesday morning for you!

HEAVIER BREATHING – RACE INTAKE KIT R&D, PART 2 – PROTOTYPING

In our last post, we covered our plans for the new race intake, but no design is complete without a round of prototyping here at Mishimoto. While the 3D modeling process gives us precision designs, we still need to double-check the fitment in the vehicle.

Since the digital workspace only gets us so far, so now it’s up to our bank of 3D printers to create a physical manifestation of the new intake design. Also, creating prototypes within a few hours allows us to significantly speed up our development process since we can check for potential fitment issues and even start preliminary performance testing with this unit. It also allows us to give an exact comparison of the stock components.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Race Intake R&D Thread DSCF1021-scaled

Make sure that you hit the link above to get a full look at our prototype! Also, don't hesitate to reach out with any questions that you might have!

-Nick
Sponsored

SpicyPIXEL

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SGP Civic Type R #43027
Country flag
Blog post pictures look GREAT - any way you can post pictures of all sides of the intake box (right, bottom and bottom front)?

Reason I ask, I've noticed that intake companies like Takeda cleverly don't show the hole in one side which hot engine bay air is drawn into. Injen's Revolution Intake pictures are the same - just the top and left side (where it connects to the inlet tube), but not the bottom or right side of the intake box. Also, how does the new box seal? From what I've heard of the current Mishimoto intake available, the box has a few gaps where it "leaks".

I'm new to the FK8 - so to the OG FK8 owners, don't roast me too much if I've got some information incorrect regarding the current Mishimoto intake box.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Blog post pictures look GREAT - any way you can post pictures of all sides of the intake box (right, bottom and bottom front)?

Reason I ask, I've noticed that intake companies like Takeda cleverly don't show the hole in one side which hot engine bay air is drawn into. Injen's Revolution Intake pictures are the same - just the top and left side (where it connects to the inlet tube), but not the bottom or right side of the intake box. Also, how does the new box seal? From what I've heard of the current Mishimoto intake available, the box has a few gaps where it "leaks".

I'm new to the FK8 - so to the OG FK8 owners, don't roast me too much if I've got some information incorrect regarding the current Mishimoto intake box.

All great questions!

I don't have photos from the side in its prototype form, but our design is also going to feature an extra small inlet on the side of the box to aid in airflow. We made sure to position our's on the lower left side so we're not drawing in engine bay heat.

As for sealing the airbox, we're utilizing our gasket system, which locks the filter in place with a large rubber gasket within the airbox and keeps the fresh air sealed within the intake system. We've been using this across plenty of systems now, and here's an example of the gasket used for our GR Supra intake:

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Race Intake R&D Thread DSCF0072

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Race Intake R&D Thread DSCF0054

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Nick

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
All great questions!

I don't have photos from the side in its prototype form, but our design is also going to feature an extra small inlet on the side of the box to aid in airflow. We made sure to position our's on the lower left side so we're not drawing in engine bay heat.

As for sealing the airbox, we're utilizing our gasket system, which locks the filter in place with a large rubber gasket within the airbox and keeps the fresh air sealed within the intake system. We've been using this across plenty of systems now, and here's an example of the gasket used for our GR Supra intake:

DSCF0072.jpg

DSCF0054.jpg

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Nick
I like the thickness of the plastic there. Looks about as thick as the stock intake. That should keep IATs down. I hope you plan to keep it that thick.

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
Is there plans to make this intake CARB legal?

Jason@DASHautosports

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

I can also confirm that the seal is very good and can make the install a tight fit initially, getting piping, box, and filter in place all at the same time, but instructions may help hear as well. I was doing it based purely on what I thought should be the correct steps, lol. Overall the seal is perfect as is the final fit.

Jason@DASHautosports

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey Guys!

I just wanted to bump up this thread with a more in-depth look at our prototype process!

Make sure that you keep watching through the end for a glimpse at the final product! More to come on that soon!

-Nick
I remember when I met Ye at the headquarters when I brought the USR type R by for everyone to see on my way to GTA Time Attack at NJMP. I had modified the Mishimoto air box with a new top cover to allow a large billet MAF housing to aid in our search for more power. The car was making about 475whp at that time. Ye was very curious in what I had done and it is really cool to see the progression of this new race intake.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Since you need a tune for this intake meaning Hondata/Ktuner, you can bet there is a slim to none chance that it will be carb legal.

MarcusgibbS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2000 EM1
Country flag
Hey Guys!

I just wanted to bump up this thread with a more in-depth look at our prototype process!

Make sure that you keep watching through the end for a glimpse at the final product! More to come on that soon!

-Nick
Hey Guys!

-Nick
Any possible eta on when coming to market? This year? Spring 2022?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
I like the thickness of the plastic there. Looks about as thick as the stock intake. That should keep IATs down. I hope you plan to keep it that thick.
It's not going to be quite as thick as our sample, but we're still planning on keeping this design sturdy

Since you need a tune for this intake meaning Hondata/Ktuner, you can bet there is a slim to none chance that it will be carb legal.
@ebatr24 beat me to it. Since the MAF housing is oversized and requires a tune, this intake would not pass the CARB testing on its own.

Any possible eta on when coming to market? This year? Spring 2022?
Great question!

Right now we're planning on launching our presale towards the end of August with shipping starting about 3-4 weeks after. Right now we're on schedule for that, but these are subject to chance in case we run into production or shipping delays. I'll make sure that you guys are the first to know if either of those happen.

-Nick

MarcusgibbS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2000 EM1
Country flag
It's not going to be quite as thick as our sample, but we're still planning on keeping this design sturdy

@ebatr24 beat me to it. Since the MAF housing is oversized and requires a tune, this intake would not pass the CARB testing on its own.

Great question!

Right now we're planning on launching our presale towards the end of August with shipping starting about 3-4 weeks after. Right now we're on schedule for that, but these are subject to chance in case we run into production or shipping delays. I'll make sure that you guys are the first to know if either of those happen.

-Nick
Cool this is great news

Status
Not open for further replies.