Not open for further replies.

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Hey CivicX!

Nick here from Mishimoto, back again to drop some info on you guys on our shiny new primary aluminum radiator! As always make sure that you head over to our Engineering Blog for the full scoop!

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Performance Primary Radiator NLT_9798

One of the many wonders of science and engineering is its ability to progress continuously. If you might remember, after our initial evaluation of the FK8's cooling system, our best course of action was to add to or beef up other parts of the system, specifically with our Secondary Race Radiator and Oil Cooler kits. Now with some added elements in our radiator fin playbook, our sights are set again on the CTR’s primary radiator.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Performance Primary Radiator NLT_8911

For our design, we know that when it comes to heat exchangers, bigger is better, so we designed our radiator with a 40mm core and adjusted the dimensions to yield a 48% increase in core volume and 102% increase in external fin surface area. We also added a few other features to our design to improve the core's strength and overall durability of the radiator, so make sure that you head to the Engineering blog to find out!

Our radiator is also on Presale now for a limited time, so make sure that you get your's before the sale ends!

2017+ Honda Civic Type R Performance Aluminum Radiator

As always, feel free to shoot over any questions you might have!

Thanks,
Nick

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
How much heavier is it and does it actually help cooling or is it just delaying the inevitable by having more coolant volume?

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I thought increased air flow to radiator >>> size of radiator

Higgo8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 CTR GT
Country flag
Tried to click on the link guys for presale @Mishimoto, but because I'm UK based it wouldn't let me order..

When will this be available with your UK outlet- and will this also have a presale stock & order?

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
After the debacle with the high IATs caused by their FK8 intake, I think it's wise to wait for 3rd party reviews and independent data before investing in this.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
How much heavier is it and does it actually help cooling or is it just delaying the inevitable by having more coolant volume?
Let me see about getting an exact weight for you, but it won't be too much heavier than the stock unit. Since it's still tube-and-fin the core weight hasn't increased much, but the all-aluminum tanks can add some weight.

The combo of adding core thickness, our improved fins, and the larger cooling capacity are all going to help deliver more consistent and manageable coolant temperatures. For the best results, we'd recommend beefing up other parts of the cooling system as well. So, adding more airflow if possible (better grills), and adding the secondary race radiator and/or oil cooler

Awesome! I would like to see track data
We're hoping to get this into the hands of some of our third-party testers soon! It does appear that some tracks are opening back up so I will definitely keep you guys posted on any track data that comes our way!

I thought increased air flow to radiator >>> size of radiator
Air flow to the rad is definitely also a large part of the equation as well. The combination of both, more airflow and the larger radiator core is the best bet

Tried to click on the link guys for presale @Mishimoto, but because I'm UK based it wouldn't let me order..

When will this be available with your UK outlet- and will this also have a presale stock & order?
Unfortunately, our presales are only offered in the US currently, but we do plan on offering this radiator worldwide. Our UK stock typically arrives about 4-5 weeks after our US shipment.

I'll shoot you a PM in a few with an option for you!

After the debacle with the high IATs caused by their FK8 intake, I think it's wise to wait for 3rd party reviews and independent data before investing in this.
We always welcome third party reviews! That is a fair course of action and I'll be sure to direct any of our third party testers to this thread!

Thanks guys!
-Nick

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Hi Nick.
Two quick questions.

1. Do both radiators you guys offer have the same fin design?
  2. How do you compare this big radiator to the Secondary Race version: does the race version still better for spirited driving/occasionally track or this one will better?
Thanks!

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Hi Nick.
Two quick questions.

1. Do both radiators you guys offer have the same fin design?
  2. How do you compare this big radiator to the Secondary Race version: does the race version still better for spirited driving/occasionally track or this one will better?
Thanks!
Great questions!

1. The fin design is similar between the two. Both are a version of a louvered fin, which is the method of forcing air through the core diagonally for better heat transfer, but our primary radiator uses our improved method of that design to help optimize the cooling potential.
2. It's tough to compare these directly, since they both are serving the same purpose, though they differ greatly in size and location. If you're looking to get one or the other, the primary radiator would be your best bet, since there's more cooling power to be had there all around, though for best results we'd recommend using both together

Thanks,
Nick

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Great questions!

1. The fin design is similar between the two. Both are a version of a louvered fin, which is the method of forcing air through the core diagonally for better heat transfer, but our primary radiator uses our improved method of that design to help optimize the cooling potential.
2. It's tough to compare these directly, since they both are serving the same purpose, though they differ greatly in size and location. If you're looking to get one or the other, the primary radiator would be your best bet, since there's more cooling power to be had there all around, though for best results we'd recommend using both together

Thanks,
Nick

Thank you! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Hey Guys!

Just wanted to bump this up and make sure that you get in on the special pre-sale pricing before it's gone!

-Nick

Higgo8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 CTR GT
Country flag
Never heard from your CS people as per our DM messaging Nick.

Not impressed I have to say

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Never heard from your CS people as per our DM messaging Nick.

Not impressed I have to say
Sorry about that, I'll shoot you a PM in a few!

Where does the secondary race rad go?
Our secondary race rad mounts on the back side of the engine, and uses the hood scoop for airflow:

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Performance Primary Radiator IMG_9863

And for some more info on the kit itself, check it out here: Secondary Race Radiator

-Nick
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.