Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
All Mishimoto intercooler are powder coated.
Do you think? is more like a paint to me. When I'm referring to '' not good idea to powder coat or do any treatment to insulate from heat''
Sponsored

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
Do you think? is more like a paint to me. When I'm referring to '' not good idea to powder coat or do any treatment to insulate from heat''
I thought it was just paint as well. However it definitely feels like powder coat and their website specifically says it's power coat. Which I'm thinking makes a little sense. Powder coat is thicker and stronger. So one you get minor ding protection and two it slows down the initial heating up of the core. Not perfectly but they probably thought anything helps. Maybe they even tried it raw aluminum and we're dissatisfied about the results. Then tested a powder coated one and got a better result.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I thought it was just paint as well. However it definitely feels like powder coat and their website specifically says it's power coat. Which I'm thinking makes a little sense. Powder coat is thicker and stronger. So one you get minor ding protection and two it slows down the initial heating up of the core. Not perfectly but they probably thought anything helps. Maybe they even tried it raw aluminum and we're dissatisfied about the results. Then tested a powder coated one and got a better result.
Wouldn't a black powder coat make it absorb more ambient heat though?

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Make sense. I'm pretty sure must be a good reason why. Is not their first intercooler.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
One thing is do a couple pulls and another thing is the road course.

Regarding those IAT2, you could wrap the box and the maf housing , I have this mode on mine and I got 4-6 degrees over ambient temperatures cruising, and if you left the car idle for 30 minutes with ac on the temperatures will rise like crazy, ( all the intakes does the same) but after a short drive in less than 5 minutes the temperatures go down quickly . Whit this mod you can save money and will perform better than any intake with no mod.

IMG_7880.JPG
I mean it's a little more than a "few pulls" I go out late at night or very very early in the AM and have a highway by me where I can get up over 150mph in a bunch of spots. I would do a bunch of pulls from the bottom of 4th gear until I ran out of road or came on a blind spot where I couldn't see the sides of the road over a hill. Slowing down and then just sending it again immediately. Going from over a half tank of fuel to having the light come on in a 30 minute or so span and having ECT up to 200 degrees. I will say the stock charge pipes SUCK for IATs into the throttle body. I would see IAT be 20 degrees over IAT2 sometimes in that situation. Swapped out to the PRL charge pipes and the two stay within less than 10 degrees of each other, plus IAT drops much much faster from sitting in vaccum for awhile and then going full load.

I was going to insulate the intake with your suggestion but decided against it and just went ahead and cut my losses and ordered the HVI. It's made of PVC (or something similar) and testing has showed it to out perform the stock airbox, so it will be good to go right out of the gate.

Last edited:

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
Wouldn't a black powder coat make it absorb more ambient heat though?
If the sun is beating on it maybe. Grey vs black has the same effectiveness when we're just talking air passing through cooling.

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
People seem more concerned with the color of their Intercooler than the color of the air passing through it. I lived in the PR oā€™ MD first 19 years and most air there is gray, either with smog, rain, snow or (esp) slush, worst season of the five.

Manufacturers often utilize matched coatings and tinkering with that selection isnā€™t going to improve heat transfer as any removal process would disturb or perhaps dissolve some metal, the idea is choose the right coating originally and PRL and Mish probably picked from a list of coatings, good luck doing better second time around. Iā€™m not claiming to be an expert here but do have basic engineering knowledge of heat transfer and metallurgy. Be careful adding anything or stripping in the name of appearance as it will likely impact efficiency, thatā€™s all.

In NW FL we have several months of near 100 degree days and few months of cold 40ā€™s, some freezing but the ability to transfer heat is not impacted by two identical objects of different colors if not exposed to sun so a black powder coated one would not run hotter in theory than a gray or white Intercooler unless solar energy is a factor (quite familiar with that and photovoltaics).

Do what makes you happy, go for the largest transfer area and flow rate your pocket can handle. I have yet to determine which Iā€™d choose as the ones discussed or another brand, all appear good, similar with just examining manufacturers data.

Iā€™m feeling a little Sheepy now...
https://images.app.goo.gl/33Pvvs1iTm5utPqh7

CHiNG818

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Had my MIshimoto Intercooler installed at evsive motorsports and im full bolt and man does it make a difference. It consistently pulls no matter ambient temp. Its been really hot here lately and its performing just fine as a daily . This is my first time owning a turbo charge car and im loving the learning curve and modding the Type R.

vcastle

First Name
Vlad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Iā€™m just waiting till Mishimoto has a sale to buy the intercooler, radiator and oil catch can.