Mishimoto Civic Type R Oil Cooler R&D Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Thank you for the update. Nice looking oil cooler.
An oil cooler is something that looks like a serious consideration if you are tracking your CTR hard or in the heat.

I realize the mounting bracket is designed to direct more air into the oil cooler but it seems a bit hard to believe that there will be enough cooling air getting through those two smaller ducts under the driver side fog light grill and then escape out the back through the existing small ducts located at the front of fender liner.. Good to see another oil cooler option though.

@Mishimoto - please be sure to post up some of the actual oil temp cooling charts along with the associated data from live track testing. Like many on here, definitely interested in a functional, efficient oil cooler option for the track.

Also agree with the comment above. A black unit option would be nice.
Sponsored

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
@Mishimoto - Just a thought which you probably already considered... Possible to add an oil temp sensor option?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Thank you for the update. Nice looking oil cooler.
An oil cooler is something that looks like a serious consideration if you are tracking your CTR hard or in the heat.

I realize the mounting bracket is designed to direct more air into the oil cooler but it seems a bit hard to believe that there will be enough cooling air getting through those two smaller ducts under the driver side fog light grill and then escape out the back through the existing small ducts located at the front of fender liner.. Good to see another oil cooler option though.

@Mishimoto - please be sure to post up some of the actual oil temp cooling charts along with the associated data from live track testing. Like many on here, definitely interested in a functional, efficient oil cooler option for the track.

Also agree with the comment above. A black unit option would be nice.
@Mishimoto - Just a thought which you probably already considered... Possible to add an oil temp sensor option?
All great questions!

So for the brake ducts, Honda put a ton of work into their aero to make sure that the airflow is going where it needs to go. The duct there is already forcing it into the factory ducting and out through the wheel well into the brakes. With that duct removed there's still enough of a pressure differential on the inside of the wheel well generally from the wheel spinning, and also thanks to the belly pan, that the airflow is still being pulled through there. Our bracket works as more of a guide for this airflow to make sure that it's still being pushed through the cooler. Though, it definitely would've been nice of Honda to give us a larger opening on that section of the bumper from the factory, but from what we've seen, there's still plenty of cooling air pushing through there.

Yup, we plan on offering this kit in both a silver and black cooler option. Also our sandwich plate design has a temp sensor port worked in ;)

Graphs and data are coming! Keep an eye out for the first week of November, we have plenty more info for you guys on the way!

-Nick

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
All great questions!

So for the brake ducts, Honda put a ton of work into their aero to make sure that the airflow is going where it needs to go. The duct there is already forcing it into the factory ducting and out through the wheel well into the brakes. With that duct removed there's still enough of a pressure differential on the inside of the wheel well generally from the wheel spinning, and also thanks to the belly pan, that the airflow is still being pulled through there. Our bracket works as more of a guide for this airflow to make sure that it's still being pushed through the cooler. Though, it definitely would've been nice of Honda to give us a larger opening on that section of the bumper from the factory, but from what we've seen, there's still plenty of cooling air pushing through there.

Yup, we plan on offering this kit in both a silver and black cooler option. Also our sandwich plate design has a temp sensor port worked in ;)

Graphs and data are coming! Keep an eye out for the first week of November, we have plenty more info for you guys on the way!

-Nick
Nick, thank you very much for the replies> Glad to hear there is a black option in the mix and that the sandwich plate has a temp sensor port in it :)

Definitely interested in the data to come.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Hey Guys,

Bumping this thread up with another update on this kit! As always make sure to head over to the Engineering Blog for the full write-up!

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Civic Type R Oil Cooler R&D Thread IMG_6003

Not much is better for testing than track days. Nothing puts our products through a more grueling trial much like slinging the car around the bends and chicanes of the circuit. However, getting to the track isn’t always practical, so we developed a way to bring the track to us. Using a racing simulator, we created a load map that replicates a hot lap of Hatch Brands Indy Circuit. We first rolled out this race program during the testing of our C6 performance radiator, and it was time to put the CTR on our digital treadmill of the course.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Civic Type R Oil Cooler R&D Thread 072318_NLT_C6_RAD_WEB_1

This is what a hot lap around Hatch Brands Indy Circuit looks like in terms of our Dynapack system. These peaks and valleys represent power on and power off as the car flies around the course, enabling us to give a full range of torture to our oil cooler kit.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Civic Type R Oil Cooler R&D Thread IMG_6018

Make sure to head over to the blog to see what numbers Jason was able to pull from race torture testing our Civic Type R Oil Cooler Kit!

Our oil cooler kit is also now on presale, make sure to pick up your kit today!

2017+ Honda Civic type R Oil Cooler Kit

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Civic Type R Oil Cooler R&D Thread MMOC-CTR-17TSL_1

As always, feel free to shoot over any questions you might have!

-Nick

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to bump this up again with a look behind the scenes of the production of this kit! Since our coolers are also available universally, we just needed to cut brackets and make hoses:

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Civic Type R Oil Cooler R&D Thread MG_7084

We're fortunate enough to have a water-jet that makes cutting out these brackets a breeze

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Civic Type R Oil Cooler R&D Thread MG_7093

They might not look pretty now, but these are destined for the powder coater after the bending process.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Civic Type R Oil Cooler R&D Thread IMG_7937

Mike working the press to make sure each set of brackets is up to Mishi standards.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Civic Type R Oil Cooler R&D Thread IMG_7939

Almost there ;)

For the hoses, they needed to be cut to length, and then have a nut and fitting threaded in.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Civic Type R Oil Cooler R&D Thread NLT_0127

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Civic Type R Oil Cooler R&D Thread NLT_0133

One of our freshly powdercoated brackets ready to be boxed up!

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Civic Type R Oil Cooler R&D Thread NLT_7973-1

We're looking forward to getting these kits out the door to you guys! I'll be sure to keep you in the loop with any updates!

-Nick

DPL8

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 3388
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to bump this up again with a look behind the scenes of the production of this kit! Since our coolers are also available universally, we just needed to cut brackets and make hoses:

MG_7084.jpg

We're fortunate enough to have a water-jet that makes cutting out these brackets a breeze

MG_7093.jpg

They might not look pretty now, but these are destined for the powder coater after the bending process.

IMG_7937.jpg

Mike working the press to make sure each set of brackets is up to Mishi standards.

IMG_7939.jpg

Almost there ;)

For the hoses, they needed to be cut to length, and then have a nut and fitting threaded in.

NLT_0127.jpg

NLT_0133.jpg

One of our freshly powdercoated brackets ready to be boxed up!

NLT_7973-1.jpg

We're looking forward to getting these kits out the door to you guys! I'll be sure to keep you in the loop with any updates!

-Nick
Awesome!

what did you guys to for the opening in the front grille area? cut into it or did you purchase a new vent?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Awesome!

what did you guys to for the opening in the front grille area? cut into it or did you purchase a new vent?
We actually left it as is! I know there are some out there that are dremmeling some a bit of that grill out for some increased airflow if you're willing to make those sort of modifications!

-Nick

DPL8

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 3388
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We actually left it as is! I know there are some out there that are dremmeling some a bit of that grill out for some increased airflow if you're willing to make those sort of modifications!

-Nick
Good to know! thanks!

therealdarkknight

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It may just be my opinion but that's a little much.. $520 on sale (Regular $675) your universal 19 row oil cooler is $380.. that's an expensive custom made bracket The hoses can't be much different than others. Not just that but a long wait for that to be "produced" especially with little R&D really needed. I get R&D times, recuperating those costs, you already said its a universal cooler and sandwich plate, it just needed hoses and bracket. The Type R tax feels real guys...

therealdarkknight

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The components used to build,the lines are not cheap. What I use would cost a minimum of $170 retail for the lines, $136 for the thermostatic oil sandwich plate, $16.50 for plate adapter, $18 for plate fittings, plus whatever the steel mounting plate and powder coating is, so a minimum of atleast $750. That is on the low side, total involved is probably more. I think the pricing is very fair. There is no CTR Tax. The BRZ/FRS kit uses similar components, and regular price is $640 and has been out about 6 years, for a car that costs less than CTR. People always complain about pricing but never look at the big picture, this isnt some guy in his garage building parts with no real overhead, this is a business, in it to stay in business, paying employees to design. Test, build, manufacture, etc all of the products, and they they offer a kit for less than the retail,of the individual components.....but still you complain....
The universal oil kit includes everything you just listed.. I know it’s a business $520 full price isn’t terrible but when you look at the fact it’s supposed to be $675? I have a hard time adding things up. This isn’t apple needing a profit margin of 40%. I’d question it if I was a BRZ owner. I’m not complaining just felt it needed to be stated. I’ll shut up and hand my money over without comment.

mladjan

First Name
Mladjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 TypeR GT, FN2 TypeR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To be honest, I think that this oil cooler kit is expensive, even with presale pricing. I was buying kit for my fn2 (European) TypeR, with mocal biggest cooler and mocal sendwitch plate and all hoses/fittings for about 300-ish euros. Also, regarding design, Im not happy about removing brake air ducts. They are here for purpose.
There is a space for mounting a cooler and keeping brake ducts. Here is my favorite design, with dual cooers!
Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Civic Type R Oil Cooler R&D Thread WhatsApp Image 2018-11-11 at 1.04.00 PM

mdub83

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR in White
Country flag
Sois there actually any data objectively showing that this reduces engine temperatures ? I have yet to see any
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.