jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
To be honest, I think that this oil cooler kit is expensive, even with presale pricing. I was buying kit for my fn2 (European) TypeR, with mocal biggest cooler and mocal sendwitch plate and all hoses/fittings for about 300-ish euros. Also, regarding design, Im not happy about removing brake air ducts. They are here for purpose.
There is a space for mounting a cooler and keeping brake ducts. Here is my favorite design, with dual cooers!
WhatsApp Image 2018-11-11 at 1.04.00 PM.jpeg
I like the published numbers of the TR cooler.
They seem like the best I’ve seen, and they use HKS cores for both sides.
Sponsored

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I like the published numbers of the TR cooler.
They seem like the best I’ve seen, and they use HKS cores for both sides.
I would see those claimed numbers from TR as possible, but they need to reveal the testing conditions by which they acquired those numbers. What served as the control for the testing? How did they assure that the before/after numbers were achieved under similar conditions?

I do motorsports engineering, aerodynamics, and data acquisition setup and analysis for a living. So I have seen actual track data on oil temps from multiple vehicles in multiple forms of racing. TR is claiming 30ish degrees C, or about 50 degrees F. I can assure you that these numbers are possible, with a well-designed oil cooler system. But they are certainly on the high-end of what is realistic. Especially considering that there is not a huge cooler surface area at work here.

Maybe the TR setup is truly capable of these numbers, and maybe they are fudging the numbers. I can make a product comparison "test" give just about any results, if I am willing to bias the results to give a favorable output to one certain product. So I need more information before I totally buy 50F. 30F would be about the low side of what I would expect if the system is well-functioning. Even 40F would not raise a big question mark from me. But 50F? That is starting to get up there for the size of coolers being used.

Mishimoto on the other hand is claiming that they are seeing about a 10F drop in global oil temps. This is not a very good result. In fact, if I was designing a cooler for a particular vehicle, and my design only yielded 10F drop, I would be back at the drawing board trying to figure out why the system was so under-performing, not moving a suspect design to market.

This all goes back to what I said early on about this design: I question their assessment of the aerodynamics of this car, and in particular the air flow capacity of that single duct to try and provide enough air flow to both the cooler and the brakes. Only achieving 10F would seem to indicate my concerns were justified.

PS: Before someone gets on here and starts trying to flame me as some Mishimoto hater, I am not. I have bought several Mishimoto products over the years. I am probably going to upgrade the intercooler on my Type R this spring, and right now in my opinion the Mishimoto is the best on on the market.

But they have missed the ball on this oil cooler. I don't wish them to make unsuccessful products, but I and others questioned the design from the beginning. I pointed out my concerns here. And I would have given them more a detailed, scientific assessment either privately or publicly if they had asked. But they were not interested in improving the design, just getting it to market via the design track they predetermined they would use, effective or not. Sorry, just the way I see it.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to bump this up and let you know this oil cooler kit is now available world wide!

Feel free to reach out with any questions you might have!

-Nick

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
bump.

will this kit interfere with the 2020+ models honda sensing?
I don't think any kit will, you just can't use the ducting.

I have a greddy oil cooler kit on my 2021 with zero issues you just can't attach the duct unless you want to get creative with cutting an opening for the sensing mount.

They all sit FAR behind where it mounts. Had a HKS before and know where the others mount in the same spot

tde1205

First Name
Tulio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TypeR
Country flag
I don't think any kit will, you just can't use the ducting.

I have a greddy oil cooler kit on my 2021 with zero issues you just can't attach the duct unless you want to get creative with cutting an opening for the sensing mount.

They all sit FAR behind where it mounts. Had a HKS before and know where the others mount in the same spot
looking into all the oil cooler options in the market for the FK8. I recently made a JDM hypebeast purchase with the Js racing front bumper garnishes. thank you for the recommendation, i will look into its reviews.

monstarind

Monstar Industries
First Name
Monstar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.monstarind.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R FK8R
Country flag
Lots of useful info on this thread. Mishimoto does a great job on the R&D end of their product design. Love carrying their products for our customers.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.