First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a Mishimoto air intake. If you are currently running it, could you provide pros and cons that would help me make my decision? :)
Sponsored

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
Don’t get the Mishi. PRL stage 1 or HVI. Mishimoto does not have the best reputation due to higher iats. Search around, you’ll find a lot of info supporting my comments.

OP
OP

fk8_kevin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Don’t get the Mishi. PRL stage 1 or HVI. Mishimoto does not have the best reputation due to higher iats. Search around, you’ll find a lot of info supporting my comments.
That's a shame. I had the PRL stage 1 paired with a k&n filter. I had trouble with the PRL stage 1 because it caused a hose to rub against the top of my hood. I tried everything to fix the fitment but no luck. Ended up returning the pair. I was considering Mishimoto because it's carb legal and sounds pretty good.

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
I’ve had mine for a couple years now with no issues.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I had the mishi as well. I personally liked it. It sounded great and it looked like you bought something instead of just another piece of plastic. Sure you can nit pick its heavier or your temps might be a degree or two higher (if you race) but for an everyday driver I personally think it looks great sounds great and which is what you are buying it for anyway as its been fairly widely known and proven that other then the eventuri Intake, intakes on this car do little better to worst then the OEM one as far as performance. and unless something has changed in the last year its even in the hondata setup that intakes dont matter. again except the eventuri one hondata has a selection for that one.

OP
OP

fk8_kevin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I had the mishi as well. I personally liked it. It sounded great and it looked like you bought something instead of just another piece of plastic. Sure you can nit pick its heavier or your temps might be a degree or two higher (if you race) but for an everyday driver I personally think it looks great sounds great and which is what you are buying it for anyway as its been fairly widely known and proven that other then the eventuri Intake, intakes on this car do little better to worst then the OEM one as far as performance. and unless something has changed in the last year its even in the hondata setup that intakes dont matter. again except the eventuri one hondata has a selection for that one.
What did you switch it out for? Since the heat soaking has been brought to my attention, I'm really concerned about the damage it would do to the engine.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What did you switch it out for? Since the heat soaking has been brought to my attention, I'm really concerned about the damage it would do to the engine.
Didn't switch it out. Had on car 2 years no problems. Till sold car.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
Lol you're not doing damage to the engine. The heatsoak people are describing is like 10 degrees F. It's also almost completely mitigated if you apply some reflective heat tape to it.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lol you're not doing damage to the engine. The heatsoak people are describing is like 10 degrees F. It's also almost completely mitigated if you apply some reflective heat tape to it.
Yup what this guy said. It is literally called a cold air intake. I brings in more cold air not make things hotter.

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Been running k&n intake with reflective tape for 46k miles and at speed only read about 10 degrees over ambient. No issues at all but I would recommend upgraded intercooler so you recover faster after sitting at a stop. And forced induction engines the intake temp before the turbo means little to nothing. Think about the cars with a filter directly on turbo inlet next to engine.

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why do I have the mishimoto intake?
It's carb legal and has a lifetime warranty. Plus it matches my other mishimoto parts.

Why am I currently not running it?
I picked up an eventuri which matches all my other carbon under the hood.

Honestly I think for a daily driver and that little "extra" I like the pro's of the mishi. Specifically being smog legal which in California is nice to have. Mine is just sitting in a box though right now. ✌

OP
OP

fk8_kevin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I live in CA as well which is why the Mishimoto intake appeals to me. Do you guys think it would be enough to heat tape the inside of the metal box? I really like how sleek the setup is. Wrapping the entire setup in gold tape would kill the look for me.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I live in CA as well which is why the Mishimoto intake appeals to me. Do you guys think it would be enough to heat tape the inside of the metal box? I really like how sleek the setup is. Wrapping the entire setup in gold tape would kill the look for me.
I think what the last few posts are trying to say is you are worrying over nothing. I had full bolt ons and a tune with zero heat shielding and I had no issues. Sometimes it's best not to read everything in a forum cause people for thier own reasons make a bigger deal out of stuff then it really is. Daily driving you got no "heat soak" issues. If you are gonna run it full throttle all day on a track yeah sure. But daily driver... Get the intake put it on and enjoy you don't need heat shielding. That first whoosh blow off sound after install you won't care any more lol

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
If you're going to heat tape it, you have to do the outside. Heat tape does not provide any insulation whatsoever, the whole point of it is to reflect radiant heat away. That means it needs to be on the outside to work.

OP
OP

fk8_kevin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I think what the last few posts are trying to say is you are worrying over nothing. I had full bolt ons and a tune with zero heat shielding and I had no issues. Sometimes it's best not to read everything in a forum cause people for thier own reasons make a bigger deal out of stuff then it really is. Daily driving you got no "heat soak" issues. If you are gonna run it full throttle all day on a track yeah sure. But daily driver... Get the intake put it on and enjoy you don't need heat shielding. That first whoosh blow off sound after install you won't care any more lol
You're absolutely right. I'm probably overthinking it. I drive pretty casually and like to get on the throttle once per drive :D
Sponsored