Mishimoto 2016+ Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Intake Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

nurvcom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIVIC TOURING 1.5L TURBO CVT 4DR // 2001 IS300 2JZ 3.0L // 2000 F250 CCSB 7.3L
Country flag
will the new intake setup be carb legal for cali? and i kinda really excited to see how this new box looks :)
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm interested to see the results on a dyno. I suspect the removal or modification of the resonator will result in sacrificing some throttle response/spool at lower RPMs in favor of mid range gains.

Also, it's important to note that ambient air temps play a different role in forced induction. While getting cooler air into the inlet has some benefits, the gains from that approach are comparatively less than NA, due to the presence of the intercooler while in motion. And Boost Air Temps (BATs) can be surprisingly similar between CAIs and SRIs in other platforms, depending on how the air is delivered to the inlet. But as they say, every little bit helps. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Oh how exciting! Mishimoto stepping up on this opportunity. I was going to buy an injen intake and I'm glad I held off for now. More options woot!
Awesome! Some exciting updates will be coming by the end of the day, so stay tuned for that!

Looks Good can't wait to see the finish product. Hopefully you guys will come out with one for the SI models for those of us that are waiting :)
Thanks!

will the new intake setup be carb legal for cali? and i kinda really excited to see how this new box looks :)
We are actually in the process of getting CARB certification for as many applications as we can. The intake for this brand new Civic is definitely in our sights, but unfortunately, it won’t be CARB legal immediately after product release due to how long and arduous the process is. We do fully intend to pursue an EO number for this car though. As soon as the process is complete, we will update our specs and let you guys know. Great question!

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
In our design, we will opt to leave this part of the system alone so as to help with heat soak
I'm confused on this. Why would you want heat soak? That seems like a big area you could improve on.

As far as the resonator, it seems there are two types of people that buy intakes: those that get a shop to install them, and those that do mechanical work and could easily remove the resonator. I removed the one on my Nissan truck, as did many other people on the forums. And it was buried inside the fender and required the ABS unit to be moved out of the way. It took time, but nothing any DIY type/light backyard mechanic couldn't do. We all preferred the sound without it. The resonator got rid of the throaty sound, and made it quieter. I've read that they can help actually give power, but I think that's for N/A motors as how could it affect the pressure waves from the engine with the turbo compressor wheel, intercooler, and it's long intake plumbing between them?

Will your system use the OEM air filter? If so, that to me would be a big bonus.

Very exciting news. I had a short ram recently installed and it made a huge difference! Are you guys planning on coming out with a exhaust system?
This forum really needs a moderator.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
I'm confused on this. Why would you want heat soak? That seems like a big area you could improve on.

As far as the resonator, it seems there are two types of people that buy intakes: those that get a shop to install them, and those that do mechanical work and could easily remove the resonator. I removed the one on my Nissan truck, as did many other people on the forums. And it was buried inside the fender and required the ABS unit to be moved out of the way. It took time, but nothing any DIY type/light backyard mechanic couldn't do. We all preferred the sound without it. The resonator got rid of the throaty sound, and made it quieter. I've read that they can help actually give power, but I think that's for N/A motors as how could it affect the pressure waves from the engine with the turbo compressor wheel, intercooler, and it's long intake plumbing between them?

Will your system use the OEM air filter? If so, that to me would be a big bonus.
A better way to communicate what I was trying to say was to help prevent heat soak. We definitely want as little heat affecting the air the intake sees as possible! Sorry for the confusion.

For the resonator, you are absolutely right that a lot of applications have easy removal processes, but for this car, we found it would be better to just leave it where it sits since it won't have any affect on our system either way. We want this to be an easy drop in intake replacement that isn't too involved so really anyone with basic tools can handle the job! Our planned design won't use the OEM filter, but we will include a better, higher flowing filter. Stay tuned, we will have an update for this project today.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
The Civic Has Boost! Performance Intake R&D, Part 2: Prototype Development

We are moving along with the intake project! Last time, we talked about the stock system and our goals for this project. Now, we will show you our process for assembling a prototype that we can test and analyze results from. Let’s jump right in!

Once our engineers finalize a design, the proposed idea gets modeled in 3D modeling software. The next step is to make the idea a physical reality. We have an awesome machine called a waterjet that can cut almost anything with pinpoint accuracy using a mixture of high pressure water and abrasive material. We upload our design to the waterjet through computer software, “telling” it exactly what we want to cut. The machine takes care of the rest! We just sit back and watch as our prototype gets crafted out of a big sheet of any metal we place inside the machine – in this case, steel.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto 2016+ Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Intake Development 2ywcz60

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto 2016+ Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Intake Development z4nb6

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto 2016+ Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Intake Development 2q8oj1d

Next, we arrange the pieces, prepare them for assembly and weld them together to form the prototype.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto 2016+ Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Intake Development 28hcqa8

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto 2016+ Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Intake Development ele79

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto 2016+ Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Intake Development feql1v

Pay close attention to the image above. It shows how we plan to use the stock fresh air duct we discussed in the last post. The front of the box with the opening is where the filter will gather cool fresh air. We wanted to have an enclosed airbox while still retaining use of the fresh air that is guided into the duct. This will ensure that most of the hot air from the cramped engine space is directed away from the filter.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto 2016+ Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Intake Development 2rgzw2b

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto 2016+ Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Intake Development velqg4

What’s Next?

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto 2016+ Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Intake Development b8obnq

We have a working prototype ready for dyno testing. Stay tuned for the next update to see our results and what our performance gains look like! As always, thanks for reading!

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
A better way to communicate what I was trying to say was to help prevent heat soak. We definitely want as little heat affecting the air the intake sees as possible! Sorry for the confusion.

For the resonator, you are absolutely right that a lot of applications have easy removal processes, but for this car, we found it would be better to just leave it where it sits since it won't have any affect on our system either way. We want this to be an easy drop in intake replacement that isn't too involved so really anyone with basic tools can handle the job! Our planned design won't use the OEM filter, but we will include a better, higher flowing filter. Stay tuned, we will have an update for this project today.
Thanks. I would have thought you meant help prevent heat soak, but that was after you mentioned that the intake was right over the turbo and that you would leave it alone, which also sounded like you want heat soak. o_O So I still wonder, why would you leave it alone?

I'm hesitant to use foam/cotton filters anymore.

Garagegoblin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
Country flag
Awesome work so far!! Once you are done with the prototype, will you be making the box out of plastic for the actual production of it? I will say I am a little bummed, that you are not going to have a chrome tube to replace the intake, so it looks visually different. I guess I am just a ricer at heart. :)

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Thanks. I would have thought you meant help prevent heat soak, but that was after you mentioned that the intake was right over the turbo and that you would leave it alone, which also sounded like you want heat soak. o_O So I still wonder, why would you leave it alone?

I'm hesitant to use foam/cotton filters anymore.
No problem!

There are a couple reasons to leave that part of the intake tract alone. Replacing it with an aluminum tube would both attract a lot of unwanted heat soak and there is also a possibility of having clearance issues with the hood. That tube also has a specific shape. If we were to replace that, keeping the shape would most likely be a significant factor in not having to tune for anything. Hope this helps!

Awesome work so far!! Once you are done with the prototype, will you be making the box out of plastic for the actual production of it? I will say I am a little bummed, that you are not going to have a chrome tube to replace the intake, so it looks visually different. I guess I am just a ricer at heart. :)
The final box will be constructed from steel but will be powdercoated black to combat any heat attempting to make its way inside. And our next update will show you what the prototype of the intake tube will look like - it won't be made of aluminum!

Garagegoblin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
Country flag
I am extremely excited to see what it will look like in the end! Is there a price point you would like to try and stay under or is it just too early to tell/not really taken into account during prototype development?

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
No problem!

There are a couple reasons to leave that part of the intake tract alone. Replacing it with an aluminum tube would both attract a lot of unwanted heat soak and there is also a possibility of having clearance issues with the hood. That tube also has a specific shape. If we were to replace that, keeping the shape would most likely be a significant factor in not having to tune for anything. Hope this helps!
Would putting a metal plate/shield under the intake help any?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
I am extremely excited to see what it will look like in the end! Is there a price point you would like to try and stay under or is it just too early to tell/not really taken into account during prototype development?
Awesome!

We are still in the middle of testing and development so a price hasn't been nailed down yet. This project is moving quite fast though so when we do have a price ready, this thread will be updated!

Would putting a metal plate/shield under the intake help any?
If you are refering to putting a shield underneath a pipe routed on top of the turbo, it may help a slight bit, but not enough to prevent the inevitible rise in IAT (intake air temps) with that type of design.

We definitely thought about replacing that part of the intake upon the start of this project, but our engineers decided against it because we wanted to minimize the chance of heat soak as much as we could. The kit would also be easier to install with fewer components.

RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been waiting for an enclosed short ram. I'll be purchasing the catch can and this intake when released. Good job mishimoto :thumbsup:

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Interesting. I like the idea of analyzing the stock setup and evaluating whether stock components should remain in the aftermarket application. Oftentimes, the stock setup is dismissed as if a manufacturer's R&D was of no positive outcome.

What is the difference between constructing the airbox of powder coated steel versus the usual black plastic? I look forward to further updates.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.