SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I’ve installed a Mishimoto Oil catch can on my Si and have been using it for around 3k miles now. I’m happy with it overall, but there are a few things I think users and future users should be aware of.

After installing my can, my rubber fuel line hose rests against the side of the catch can. I noticed this after around 1k miles. The fuel line was rubbing against the can (which has an abrasive texture) and had worn a small notch into the hose.
*Warning*:
Check and see if your fuel lines are rubbing against the side of the catch can. If so, I implore you to use a zip-tie to hold it back to prevent rubbing, unless you want to watch your civic burn to the ground on the side of the road in a couple years. The catch can gets very hot. You don’t want your fuel line touching this. Zip-tie is an easy fix.
Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto 1.5T oil catch can CONCERNS 1871AED4-E8E8-4C05-B653-F6E81F2D0B0A

Some other things I’ve noticed:

-rattling noise the can makes as the air moves through the catch can. It’s not the bracket rattling against the firewall, it’s just a sound it makes as the air from the PCV line passes through the brass screen and baffle in the top portion of the can.

-The can has collected maybe 1-2 mL of oil in about 3000 miles of driving, barely covering the bottom of the can. I inspected the outlet hose that runs back to the engine, and there was some oil inside of it, which suggests that it’s not a perfect device. I don’t know how much is actually making it through the can, but i’m not too worried about it. I’m satisfied that it is catching some of the oil.

- Installation is harder than it looks in Mishimoto’s youtube instruction video. That fuel line clip you have to undo is a bitch.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve installed a Mishimoto Oil catch can on my Si and have been using it for around 3k miles now. I’m happy with it overall, but there are a few things I think users and future users should be aware of.

After installing my can, my rubber fuel line hose rests against the side of the catch can. I noticed this after around 1k miles. The fuel line was rubbing against the can (which has an abrasive texture) and had worn a small notch into the hose.
*Warning*:
Check and see if your fuel lines are rubbing against the side of the catch can. If so, I implore you to use a zip-tie to hold it back to prevent rubbing, unless you want to watch your civic burn to the ground on the side of the road in a couple years. The catch can gets very hot. You don’t want your fuel line touching this. Zip-tie is an easy fix.
1871AED4-E8E8-4C05-B653-F6E81F2D0B0A.jpeg

Some other things I’ve noticed:

-rattling noise the can makes as the air moves through the catch can. It’s not the bracket rattling against the firewall, it’s just a sound it makes as the air from the PCV line passes through the brass screen and baffle in the top portion of the can.

-The can has collected maybe 1-2 mL of oil in about 3000 miles of driving, barely covering the bottom of the can. I inspected the outlet hose that runs back to the engine, and there was some oil inside of it, which suggests that it’s not a perfect device. I don’t know how much is actually making it through the can, but i’m not too worried about it. I’m satisfied that it is catching some of the oil.

- Installation is harder than it looks in Mishimoto’s youtube instruction video. That fuel line clip you have to undo is a bitch.
That rattling is most likely the round baffle plate. On the older design cans, there's a rubber O ring that fits into a notch on the square piece holding the baffle plate to the can top. They flatten out and become useless. I went through two of them under warranty before Mishimoto sent me a new designed can due to all the issues I had, including the hoses. The new design is much better and eliminates the rattling.

TranceFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
Anyone have a part number for the smaller hose it rubs against. My Damond Motorsports Catch Can hoses rubbed against the smaller hose wearing it down and I wanted to change it out. Anyone know what type of hose it is? Vacuum, fuel?

OP
OP
SDAlexander8

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That rattling is most likely the round baffle plate. On the older design cans, there's a rubber O ring that fits into a notch on the square piece holding the baffle plate to the can top. They flatten out and become useless. I went through two of them under warranty before Mishimoto sent me a new designed can due to all the issues I had, including the hoses. The new design is much better and eliminates the rattling.
I think im using a new can. It’s not a loud rattle, it’s more like a gurgling sound. Can only hear it with no music playing and A/C on low.

OP
OP
SDAlexander8

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anyone have a part number for the smaller hose it rubs against. My Damond Motorsports Catch Can hoses rubbed against the smaller hose wearing it down and I wanted to change it out. Anyone know what type of hose it is? Vacuum, fuel?
You’d have to send me a pic. Im not familiar with the setup of that catch can. The hose im talking about is the fuel line hose right before it’s converted to a steel line along the firewall.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think im using a new can. It’s not a loud rattle, it’s more like a gurgling sound. Can only hear it with no music playing and A/C on low.
Here's how to tell for sure,this is the new one, the old one has a longer piece connecting the baffle plate.
Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto 1.5T oil catch can CONCERNS mishimoto-mis-mmbcc-civ-16pbe-6925663535174_361x@2x.progressive

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's how to tell for sure,this is the new one, the old one has a longer piece connecting the baffle plate.
mishimoto-mis-mmbcc-civ-16pbe-6925663535174_361x@2x.progressive.png

So if I wanted to RMA this thing I'd have to send the old can to them?

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So if I wanted to RMA this thing I'd have to send the old can to them?
Well,in my case, i had so many issues with the hoses, and then with that o ring I mentioned , that they just sent me the new can and let me keep the old one. Best thing I could tell you is contact them and let them know you got some issues, there's a lifetime warranty on them and they may have to give you a new one if they don't have the old stuff in stock anymore.

Syseen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT, 1982 Suzuki GS750T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep same issue with my catch can. It sounded like a ticking almost like timing chain noise. I took the can off because the car is going to the dealer for a clutch pedal vibration issues and don't want them voiding my warranty.

Once I took the can off the noise went away so while it's on the bench I'm going to pull it apart and clean it, but now that I know it's nothing serious the can is going to go back on as soon as the dealer is done...

This collection is two weeks of normal driving like 400 miles. Very watery brown and smells like gas.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto 1.5T oil catch can CONCERNS 20211022_110701

OP
OP
SDAlexander8

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yep same issue with my catch can. It sounded like a ticking almost like timing chain noise. I took the can off because the car is going to the dealer for a clutch pedal vibration issues and don't want them voiding my warranty.

Once I took the can off the noise went away so while it's on the bench I'm going to pull it apart and clean it, but now that I know it's nothing serious the can is going to go back on as soon as the dealer is done...

This collection is two weeks of normal driving like 400 miles. Very watery brown and smells like gas.

20211022_110701.jpg
So i’ve come to the conclusion that the gurgling sound is a normal sound that the engine makes under load. But you cannot hear it without the catch can. The noise is transferred to the firewall by the catch can and hose and you hear it in the dash. It’s completely normal. It’s probably the PCV valve opening and closing.

The sound is completely gone when I'm not using the catch can.

Syseen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT, 1982 Suzuki GS750T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I replied to this in a different thread. the rattling noise is actually the brass filter coming loose. I dented mine into place and so far so good.

Now I just have to zip tie my fuel line. it is developing a flat spot from the front of the can, but so far if I just tuck the hose behind the can it seems to be alright.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/mishimoto-catch-can-updates.5443/post-1083826
Sponsored