Misfiring/breakup on acceleration 2016 civic touring (cvt)

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
The 27won race intake with the race maf will have some STFT fluctuations on low throttle because its so much larger than stock. Its even larger than the PRL race maf.

Its something I run into myself at light throttle/idle a bit.

Also in regards to fuel cleaner, I've heard some mixed opinions about how they are.

Also this does remind me but what did you gap your spark plugs to? Are they legit NGK?
Yes I’ve checked the gaps and replaced them 3 or 4 times; checked each time.
And in regard to the fluctuations; I don’t think 20%, sometimes even 30% stft is “normal”.
I’m getting another scanner tool to see if ktuner isn’t showing something for whatever reason; mostly want it to evaluate O2 voltage.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
02B1S1 reads a stable 2.3v to around 3.4v.
From what I've found 02 sensors are supposed to read from 0.1v to around 1v.
Can anyone confirm this is an issue or is this supposed to read like this because of flex fuel or something.
Because my numbers really don't seem right.

Also have u0100 u0038 codes stored in pcm/transmission module which were the same ones scanned by my friends scanner last month.
So def thinking this is electrical now.

Edit: Also also just was looking at some more logs with the new scanner; at WOT o2 voltage drops to as low as 1.5v which is still higher than the supposed .1-1v

Last edited:

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
How difficult was the head gasket R&R? Honda wants $4,800 (18hrs)

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
How difficult was the head gasket R&R? Honda wants $4,800 (18hrs)
Have you figured out if it is coolant related?
I didn’t do the head gasket yet myself, but from what I’ve heard all it takes is a garage and a really good torque wrench.
It’s mostly just taking everything apart up until bottom end and then putting it all back together.
Shouldn’t be too hard just time and patience but you should definitely ask around about it because 5k for head gasket is not worth imo especially if it’s just stock (depending on your power goals you might want to go aftermarket for more boost).

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
This is what the tech said

Pulled out the spark plugs and right away found the plugs with some corrosion due coolant/oil mixing together. Went ahead and did a leak/cylinder down test found cylinder 3 [4] measuring 8 psi indicating there’s a leak and all other 3 cylinder passed. I pressurized the coolant system and stuck a camera into cylinder three and found coolant leaking down to the valves will need to start with a head gasket as a FIRST step.

www.mktext3.com/p/RYFAxI.jpg www.mktext4.com/p/gUC9t2.jpg www.mktext5.com/p/0Le1s9.jpg
--Carina Oliva First Texas Honda

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
This is what the tech said

Pulled out the spark plugs and right away found the plugs with some corrosion due coolant/oil mixing together. Went ahead and did a leak/cylinder down test found cylinder 3 [4] measuring 8 psi indicating there’s a leak and all other 3 cylinder passed. I pressurized the coolant system and stuck a camera into cylinder three and found coolant leaking down to the valves will need to start with a head gasket as a FIRST step.

www.mktext3.com/p/RYFAxI.jpg www.mktext4.com/p/gUC9t2.jpg www.mktext5.com/p/0Le1s9.jpg
--Carina Oliva First Texas Honda
That is unfortunate my man. Like I said tho I would try to do it yourself so you can maybe upgrade it.
If it has happened once, it can happen again.
Drob has actually mentioned to me head gaskets are a pretty common failure once ppl start to use base maps and custom tunes Bc of more boost.
Good luck tho!

K.Gonzales

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
OP, how likely do you think it’s your ECU? Seems like you’ve already tried everything, and no luck. Even my 2016 Touring is weird.​

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
OP, how likely do you think it’s your ECU? Seems like you’ve already tried everything, and no luck. Even my 2016 Touring is weird.​
o2 sensor is the last thing on my list before ecu or pcm. Maybe I'm forgetting something but I don't know what else it could be.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Maybe it's worth replacing the engine... I can get an engine from a salvage civic for under 2k. It should be about 1k to r&r. Only 3k in the hole with an 42k mile motor vs my 185k motor

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Maybe it's worth replacing the engine... I can get an engine from a salvage civic for under 2k. It should be about 1k to r&r. Only 3k in the hole with an 42k mile motor vs my 185k motor
Damn that's a whole lotta miles, I didn't know you had that many.
Def something to consider then, I would say go for it.
or k20 swap for shits and giggles lmao.

K.Gonzales

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
o2 sensor is the last thing on my list before ecu or pcm. Maybe I'm forgetting something but I don't know what else it could be.
Have you looked at your VTC actuator (cam phaser)? Maybe this should be on your list too before PCM. This is responsible for our variable valve timing, I was told by a tech that when this goes bad, misfires occur because the timing is off. You’re tuned, I think when tuned uses more timing than the stock tune. This is actually on my list since I’m also facing an undetectable misfire issue and it’s been 5 months. I might just take mine to Honda.

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Have you looked at your VTC actuator (cam phaser)? Maybe this should be on your list too before PCM. This is responsible for our variable valve timing, I was told by a tech that when this goes bad, misfires occur because the timing is off. You’re tuned, I think when tuned uses more timing than the stock tune. This is actually on my list since I’m also facing an undetectable misfire issue and it’s been 5 months. I might just take mine to Honda.
I have not, thank you for bringing it to light, I will take a look at it.
Sponsored