Misfiring/breakup on acceleration 2016 civic touring (cvt)

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
I believe the fuel line has been replaced just reach out the the company you got it from and ask them about it if that is your problem. There was a video about this i will try to find the link and post it.
The company I bought it from is an oem part store so I doubt they'll be able to answer any questions in regard to aftermarket setups with ethanol.
But which fuel line are you referring to? Would love to see that video if possible.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
just a guess hope it helps
I’m wondering if I should chat it up with prl support. This definitely sounds about on par with what’s going on.

And coincidentally today I started seeing my numbers during cruising speeds being very lean (upper teens for my stfts).

So I’m going to say your guess is probably as good as mine; I’m going to replace the LPFP as soon as I can because I don’t want the new HPFP to end up just like the old one because the LPFP still has contaminates in it or something of the sort. And I’ll probably take the prl hose off and take a look at it to see if I can actually see any wear in or on the hose and/or the assembly.
And if this is the case with everything I might as well try and salvage the old pump if it just clogged up.

Time will tell; I’ll keep giving updates as the weeks go on.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are you monitoring your ethanol % live while driving? If you don't have dielectric grease in your ECT plug where the single ffc wire connects in, you will get corrosion and reading bouncing all over the place. Especially when humid. Happened to me all the time. Your fuel trims will be all over the place big time when the ethanol reading bounces all over and you can even feel it. In tunerview if you set high and low limit colors to the values like stft and ethanol % you can see when it falls out of the expected range real easy.

If you have a vacuum leak, your stft will be very lean or high at idle or low throttle. And if you leak when boosting it could be rich.

I have the original tsp kit one of their guys made in house for cheap before he left the company in 19. It has held up for 3 years. I did hear something about some other kit having sub par lines that melted, don't know if it was the prl kit? I've run 70% ethanol plenty times in mine (road trips not going fast no WOT) no problems with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Are you monitoring your ethanol % live while driving? If you don't have dielectric grease in your ECT plug where the single ffc wire connects in, you will get corrosion and reading bouncing all over the place. Especially when humid. Happened to me all the time. Your fuel trims will be all over the place big time when the ethanol reading bounces all over and you can even feel it. In tunerview if you set high and low limit colors to the values like stft and ethanol % you can see when it falls out of the expected range real easy.

If you have a vacuum leak, your stft will be very lean or high at idle or low throttle. And if you leak when boosting it could be rich.

I have the original tsp kit one of their guys made in house for cheap before he left the company in 19. It has held up for 3 years. I did hear something about some other kit having sub par lines that melted, don't know if it was the prl kit? I've run 70% ethanol plenty times in mine (road trips not going fast no WOT) no problems with it.
I'll try the grease. I have seen the numbers jump high before, but usually it doesn't correlate with the fuel trims.
I would rather try this than replace a second pump 0.0
And yes my kit is PRL.

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
So finally got around to greasing the ect2 plug and got everything out and well...
I think I may have figured out why my ethanol jumps around in excess.

I think it may have been rubbing against the serpentine belt and over time it chewed up the wire. Not 100% sure but whatever the reason it was probably my fault for not paying more attention when mounting the wire.

Will be trying to contact prl to just get the wire harness rather than a whole other kit.

Honda Civic 10th gen Misfiring/breakup on acceleration 2016 civic touring (cvt) IMG_5842

Honda Civic 10th gen Misfiring/breakup on acceleration 2016 civic touring (cvt) IMG_5841

Honda Civic 10th gen Misfiring/breakup on acceleration 2016 civic touring (cvt) IMG_5840

Honda Civic 10th gen Misfiring/breakup on acceleration 2016 civic touring (cvt) IMG_5839

Last edited:

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hah, is that the single wire that runs from FFC to the ECT2 sensor? Just replace it yourself and be sure to use heat shrink. EZ. Did the plug show any signs of corrosion for you?

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Hah, is that the single wire that runs from FFC to the ECT2 sensor? Just replace it yourself and be sure to use heat shrink. EZ. Did the plug show any signs of corrosion for you?
It is.
A friend recommended fixing it myself as well and I probably will but don't have time to do it today.
And I didn't see any signs of corrosion so I'll probably hold off on the grease until I really need it.

Still think the pump might also be part of the problem though. I've had the seat off with the pump exposed so I could hear it while I drive, and from what I can hear it does seem to make a buzzing noise when running so I'm not 100% on the pump because I don't know exactly what it sounded like before it was supposedly broken. I basically can't differ the operating noise from the possible broken pump noise? If that makes sense, so I'll try the wire fix and if nothing comes of it will also be replacing the pump.

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Also do you know what gauge wire that is I've looked through prl's manual and couldn't find anything on it.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also do you know what gauge wire that is I've looked through prl's manual and couldn't find anything on it.
16g or 18g copper will do just fine.

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Fixed the wire with 16g tonight.
Trims look alot better when driving.
Still wonky at really low speeds and idle, replacing pump next week when it arrives.
Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Fixed the wire with 16g tonight.
Trims look alot better when driving.
Still wonky at really low speeds and idle, replacing pump next week when it arrives.
Fingers crossed!
Was just told that the pump is on national back order. So I'm beginning to look towards oem pumps for the LPFP. Anyone have any recommendations? I was looking at the ones on MAPerformance, but I'm not really sure I want to be a guinea pig for most of those pumps considering I can't find any info about them being on our civics despite the manufacturers saying fitment/compatibility is fine.

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Was just told that the pump is on national back order. So I'm beginning to look towards oem pumps for the LPFP. Anyone have any recommendations? I was looking at the ones on MAPerformance, but I'm not really sure I want to be a guinea pig for most of those pumps considering I can't find any info about them being on our civics despite the manufacturers saying fitment/compatibility is fine.
I asked drob as well if he has recommendations.
I found one video of a type r replacing the lpfp but it’s a type r and in the comments he said he doesn’t use it anymore don’t know why because the vid is like 1yr or 2 old.
I’m thinking I might just send it with a 340 aem
Sponsored