Misfiring/breakup on acceleration 2016 civic touring (cvt)

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Also for anyone wondering I consulted Drob about those codes when I started getting them more frequently and he basically told me it’s more than likely the hpfp.
Sponsored

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I can send some pictures when I get home but honestly I was trying to figure that out as well, it looked completely fine other than the fact that it had 100k miles on it but I didn’t anything that stood out.

I could only imagine maybe the spring wasn’t compressing for pressure to relieve?

Please do I am interested on how it went bad, you are probably right though and its related to the spring.

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Please do I am interested on how it went bad, you are probably right though and its related to the spring.
Tried taking it apart but everything is pretty tight on there and it’s not really worth my time to take apart. But yea I could imagine it was the spring; you can also see some marks on the tip of the injector that’s within the spring.

Honda Civic 10th gen Misfiring/breakup on acceleration 2016 civic touring (cvt) 6FAD4338-2BF7-42EB-9CB7-5A7507ABD5F6

Honda Civic 10th gen Misfiring/breakup on acceleration 2016 civic touring (cvt) 6C6281A6-97E9-4E69-95ED-D6A4BAD6F538

Honda Civic 10th gen Misfiring/breakup on acceleration 2016 civic touring (cvt) 4188420C-774D-447A-BCE1-709F340B3DFB

Honda Civic 10th gen Misfiring/breakup on acceleration 2016 civic touring (cvt) 54FE313D-840D-466B-AD69-919C17C7D7F6

Honda Civic 10th gen Misfiring/breakup on acceleration 2016 civic touring (cvt) BECA0CFA-D513-4A7F-B302-2C9447359BDA

Honda Civic 10th gen Misfiring/breakup on acceleration 2016 civic touring (cvt) E8A55DFC-97A7-4EF9-86BA-1A1F37313013

Attachments

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Tried taking it apart but everything is pretty tight on there and it’s not really worth my time to take apart. But yea I could imagine it was the spring; you can also see some marks on the tip of the injector that’s within the spring.

6FAD4338-2BF7-42EB-9CB7-5A7507ABD5F6.jpeg

6C6281A6-97E9-4E69-95ED-D6A4BAD6F538.jpeg

4188420C-774D-447A-BCE1-709F340B3DFB.jpeg

54FE313D-840D-466B-AD69-919C17C7D7F6.jpeg

BECA0CFA-D513-4A7F-B302-2C9447359BDA.jpeg

E8A55DFC-97A7-4EF9-86BA-1A1F37313013.jpeg
The pictures aren’t the best but they’ll do. I might try to take it apart some time this week

Lennysam

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic si Coupe
Country flag
Also for anyone wondering I consulted Drob about those codes when I started getting them more frequently and he basically told me it’s more than likely the hpfp.
I have been data logging as well trying tget it to misfire so i can see what its doing but some days it drives fine and others itll misfire my whole ride at some points.

i had tried talking to drob but he was pointing me towards his fourm about misfiring and the causes.

dumb question, but did u end up swapping the whole fuel pump with the hpfp in it or is the hpfp atotally different component?

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
I have been data logging as well trying tget it to misfire so i can see what its doing but some days it drives fine and others itll misfire my whole ride at some points.

i had tried talking to drob but he was pointing me towards his fourm about misfiring and the causes.

dumb question, but did u end up swapping the whole fuel pump with the hpfp in it or is the hpfp atotally different component?
I swapped the whole pump.

The HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) is just one piece as you can see in my pictures.
The LPFP (Low Pressure Fuel Pump) is the one that I was talking about in earlier posts, which is located underneath the back passenger seats. They are both fairly simple to replace and the HPFP is easier than the LPFP because it is located in the engine bay and doesn't require you to take anything extra out to get to it.

To put it in perspective all these fixes I've tried have been done in my apartment parking lot and completed within 1 day including the HPFP and the fuel injectors which imo are the hardest.

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag

Also have you figured out whether or not the car is running rich or lean?
This might also help you figure out what the issue may be.
Also post a cruise/WOT log here so I can take a look and compare mine with yours side by side.
Might be able to help, might not, but worth a shot.

Lennysam

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also have you figured out whether or not the car is running rich or lean?
This might also help you figure out what the issue may be.
Also post a cruise/WOT log here so I can take a look and compare mine with yours side by side.
Might be able to help, might not, but worth a shot.
I will try to get some logs of the car misfiring , i have been datalogging everyday for the past couple and the car has driven fine.

The one thing i did notice is that the car has been smelling like gas through shifts and driving , not often but I've noticed it more which it normally doesn't, and my MPG has gone from 27.5 to 24.9 now and i have been driving the car the same for the past two years so not sure if that means something maybe its dumping fuel but that would mean its running to rich ? But my afr’s have been fine Wot from what i can watching while im driving.

Sunday i had put 44k in my tank so possible that worked but ill see if it comes back over the next couple days.

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
I will try to get some logs of the car misfiring , i have been datalogging everyday for the past couple and the car has driven fine.

The one thing i did notice is that the car has been smelling like gas through shifts and driving , not often but I've noticed it more which it normally doesn't, and my MPG has gone from 27.5 to 24.9 now and i have been driving the car the same for the past two years so not sure if that means something maybe its dumping fuel but that would mean its running to rich ? But my afr’s have been fine Wot from what i can watching while im driving.

Sunday i had put 44k in my tank so possible that worked but ill see if it comes back over the next couple days.
Definitely sounds like a fuel pump issue; generally speaking if your mpg goes down if its a fuel pump related issue and you saying it smells like gas more than it normally does also supports this.

Definitely sounds like your car is running rich and not lean.
AFR should be in between 11-12 when WOT is this what it looks like in your logs?
Also what do you mean be 44k?
Does the car take longer than usual to start?
Also maybe try some fuel cleaner the next couple of weeks like seafoam, might help if you just got a bad batch of gas.

Lennysam

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Definitely sounds like a fuel pump issue; generally speaking if your mpg goes down if its a fuel pump related issue and you saying it smells like gas more than it normally does also supports this.

Definitely sounds like your car is running rich and not lean.
AFR should be in between 11-12 when WOT is this what it looks like in your logs?
Also what do you mean be 44k?
Does the car take longer than usual to start?
Also maybe try some fuel cleaner the next couple of weeks like seafoam, might help if you just got a bad batch of gas.
Yes my afrs from what i was seeing WOT is around 11-12 , by 44k i mean the fuel system cleaner. Even if it was getting bad gas I usually only go to Shell 93 but not the same station always different spots , And it seems like the 44k cleaner did something because it still hasnt misfired this whole week.

The car in my opinion it does take little longer to start not by like a crazy amount but a couple extra clicks then usual as well and then sometimes couple little pops after starting but im guessing thats just the air , or can it be little misfires ?

I didnt see exactly but when i filled up this week my tank was definitely under 300 mile range when it’s usually over 300.

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Yes my afrs from what i was seeing WOT is around 11-12 , by 44k i mean the fuel system cleaner. Even if it was getting bad gas I usually only go to Shell 93 but not the same station always different spots , And it seems like the 44k cleaner did something because it still hasnt misfired this whole week.

The car in my opinion it does take little longer to start not by like a crazy amount but a couple extra clicks then usual as well and then sometimes couple little pops after starting but im guessing thats just the air , or can it be little misfires ?

I didnt see exactly but when i filled up this week my tank was definitely under 300 mile range when it’s usually over 300.
Might be a bad batch of gas then.
I'd say put in another thing of fuel cleaner next time you fill up and if all the issues disappear then you should be good.
Were your issues just at WOT? Or did you have drivability issues?

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
I can send some pictures when I get home but honestly I was trying to figure that out as well, it looked completely fine other than the fact that it had 100k miles on it but I didn’t anything that stood out.

I could only imagine maybe the spring wasn’t compressing for pressure to relieve?
There is a screen inside the pump that in the past there had been issues with flex fuel eating the rubber line and clogging up the screen? Glad you got it fixed.

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
There is a screen inside the pump that in the past there had been issues with flex fuel eating the rubber line and clogging up the screen? Glad you got it fixed.
I'll definitely pop it open then and take a look when I can to confirm this.
Is there anyway to prevent this from happening?
I would hate for this to happen again, because I've only been running flex fuel for probably about a year if not less.

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Also for anyone that can maybe enlighten me about my still ongoing issues with my car.
The car literally only runs super rich now under 1700 rpm while cruising or idle.
Once up to speed the fuel trims level out and the car is fine but its only at low speeds.

I really can't put a finger on what it could be; I was thinking maybe a vacuum leak that I missed but that would be prevalent throughout my driving and not just at low speeds. It can't be coils, injectors, or plugs because they've all been replaced.

There has also been my thought of a faulty ECM/ECU or failing transmission, but again this wouldn't make sense due to the fact it's only at a specific point when the car is running and not the entire time, and I also don't think a failing trans would cause a rich condition.

So I'm still thinking it might be the LPFP or the fuel filter attached to it but why only at low speeds?
Is the LPFP only active during certain rpm ranges rather than the entire time the car is running; wouldn't a faulty pump affect the drivability throughout the rpms/the entire time the car is driving? And if it's a clogged fuel filter I would assume this would make the car run lean rather than rich. I haven't had any codes point towards the LPFP like it did with the HPFP and this is probably the most confusing part because the LPFP seems like the most viable of these options.

Maybe I'm missing something or assuming too much, but If anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear it before I tear open my backseat to look at the pump myself (trying to avoid this at the moment due to the effort required to remove all the back seating).

Last edited:

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
I'll definitely pop it open then and take a look when I can to confirm this.
Is there anyway to prevent this from happening?
I would hate for this to happen again, because I've only been running flex fuel for probably about a year if not less.
I believe the fuel line has been replaced just reach out the the company you got it from and ask them about it if that is your problem. There was a video about this i will try to find the link and post it.
Sponsored