Mis-shift with CVT story/question

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
So... my car is the US 2018 Coupe LX 2.0 with CVT.

I'm in the habit of, when stopped at the bottom of an incline for a light, pulling the transmission into 'sport' mode for the initial acceleration to speed. Then I move it to 'drive'. I do all this in 'eco' mode as well since the the throttle response seems a bit more linear to my foot this way. And I stay in 'eco' the rest of the time.

Yesterday I was waiting at a light on an incline and pulled it to 'sport' as usual. Once I got up to speed; I must have accidentally pulled it into 'low' or whatever 'L' indicates. I heard the RPMs race upward and saw the tach bouncing off 4K a few times until I shifted back to 'sport' and then 'drive'. This all happened very fast. I've done this hundreds of times before and never made this mistake. But now I'm half paranoid that I screwed up the transmission... or at least took a few years off of its life.

I believe that I understand what happened and what the computer did in this case. But is there a 4K redline or rev limiter in these scenarios?

Any insights, advice, co-miseration, or general thoughts are appreciated.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You're fine. Those CVT programs (D,S,L) can all be used safely. Me personally though, I mostly just keep it in D and just use S to engine brake from time to time. I rarely, if ever, use L.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
4000 rpm isn’t gonna hurt anything. This is a Honda engine, sir. It can do 8k rpm.

If you felt a hard bang when it happened, as the trans was confused what you were doing, maybe it wasn’t too great for it.

OP
OP
shoegazer

shoegazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you felt a hard bang when it happened, as the trans was confused what you were doing, maybe it wasn’t too great for it.
No banging or thumping. It was just an engine scrambling to catch up to meet the transmission; but bouncing off of 4K RPMs.

Maybe I'll stick to using the eco button as my push to pass from now on ;)

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I use my right foot as the push to pass button. Lol

OP
OP
shoegazer

shoegazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
s is not sport mode.
I remember that it wasn't technically 'sport mode'. But I can't remember what we decided that the 'S' stood for in CVTs without paddles.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mis-shift with CVT story/question hjkhgjkghk

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
I remember that it wasn't technically 'sport mode'. But I can't remember what we decided that the 'S' stood for in CVTs without paddles.

hjkhgjkghkj.jpg
To me it is always the following:

D - Drive
S - Second
L - Low

S is not sport mode as changing how the transmission shifts (in general) is not changing your car to sport mode in a standard vehicle. For instance in the SI, changing to sport mode actually changes the suspension. In other cars, sport mode usually does these three things: Changes shift points in the transmission to rev a bit higher, tightens the suspension, and changes the throttle response. Shifting to "S" mode in a CVT only does one of these three things.