Mirror Housing Only Replacement

Mr. Shelby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
So I did something stupid and backed out and just clipped the edge of my passenger side mirror. Thankfully it was only the flat black housing which was broken on the mirror and the heating/power/camera were all still intact, so I ordered the housing only online. It's a fairly straightforward process to get the mirror taken off, the cap off, and the rear piece of the housing undone, but the front piece must taken off after the white piece (actuator? from the power mirror) seen here. I know to remove the two clips at the top and left of the piece, but it seems to be anchored at the center which I can't see. I can't find any specifics online, and I don't want to break it by forcing it off. How does this white piece come off??? Help!
Honda Civic 10th gen Mirror Housing Only Replacement upload_2017-5-9_15-30-16
Sponsored

surfergrl145

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Were you able to figure it out? I am stuck at the same step as you are and can't figure out how to get that white piece off.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mirror Housing Only Replacement PRnKTMiCdleTHKsad7TjQjwHtVkiQM7Xd-JWTVdhb-ORglrOSIOBNC-bJ1Vr8NmwvZQjNTbU-B8NUr6K5w=w1135-h638-no

OP
OP

Mr. Shelby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Yes I did! Basically, behind that white piece is a plastic ball on a stalk. The feet on the white piece are anchored into a metal ring, which is smaller than the ball (This is why it is really tough to pry off). You need to get the feet of the white piece out of the metal ring, and really pull it out! I thought I was going to break it, but it just needed some elbow grease. A picture is attached, you can see the metal ring hanging from the stalk behind the plastic ball! Mirror is good as new now.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mirror Housing Only Replacement IMG_0579

kadrik0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-L 17
Yes I did! Basically, behind that white piece is a plastic ball on a stalk. The feet on the white piece are anchored into a metal ring, which is smaller than the ball (This is why it is really tough to pry off). You need to get the feet of the white piece out of the metal ring, and really pull it out! I thought I was going to break it, but it just needed some elbow grease. A picture is attached, you can see the metal ring hanging from the stalk behind the plastic ball! Mirror is good as new now.

IMG_0579.jpg
Can you walk me through the whole process of replacing that front mirror housing? I clipped the top corner of the black bezel around the passenger mirror. Is it as simple as prying off the mirror, unplugging the heat element on the mirror, yanking out the white piece, and unscrewing the two screws? Did you have to do anything to the lane watch camera? Debating on buying this housing and fixing it myself or taking it in. Shooting myself for touching the garage door frame. I barely touched it and it shattered that corner section.

uvajay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Anyone have resources/videos for doing this? I have the part, but my dealership refused to do it (they wanted to replace the whole mirror).

Cbstiles

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I also need to replace just the housing on my 2016 Civic right side mirror. Were you able to do this without removing the door panel? It seems like you should be able to. But I've seen some descriptions that indicate you might have to remove the door panel first.

OP
OP

Mr. Shelby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I also need to replace just the housing on my 2016 Civic right side mirror. Were you able to do this without removing the door panel? It seems like you should be able to. But I've seen some descriptions that indicate you might have to remove the door panel first.
You can definitely do it without taking off the door panel. You essentially just take off the housing screw by screw after you take out the actual glass part and it’s fairly straightforward. The only challenge is as above, when you need to pry the actuator off the plastic ball and you can do that by taking each individual white plastic foot out of the metal ring behind the actuator. I should have taken a video... next time I smash the housing!