Minor scuff on rim

Hypergolic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CR-V, 2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Hi all, I've been lurking here for a while, getting awesome tips and tricks to really make my SI stand out. For that I am grateful to everyone here! Anyway the other day I noticed a scuff on my driver side rear rim. I'm certain it wasn't there when I bought the car, and I'm absolutely sure I didn't hit a curb. I bet it happened when I drove through an automated car wash.

So! Two things:
1) can someone educate me or link me to a good tutorial on how to clean the interior and exterior of my new car properly (I've always just done auto car wash and infrequently wiped the inside down with armorall on previous cars)
2) is there any way to undo, repair or otherwise fix this rim damage?

Thanks everyone for your time and help! I look forward to spending lots of time in my new (to me) SI!

Honda Civic 10th gen Minor scuff on rim rim2

Honda Civic 10th gen Minor scuff on rim rim1

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda RF 2021 Toyota Supra GR 3.0
Country flag
Hi all, I've been lurking here for a while, getting awesome tips and tricks to really make my SI stand out. For that I am grateful to everyone here! Anyway the other day I noticed a scuff on my driver side rear rim. I'm certain it wasn't there when I bought the car, and I'm absolutely sure I didn't hit a curb. I bet it happened when I drove through an automated car wash.

So! Two things:
1) can someone educate me or link me to a good tutorial on how to clean the interior and exterior of my new car properly (I've always just done auto car wash and infrequently wiped the inside down with armorall on previous cars)
2) is there any way to undo, repair or otherwise fix this rim damage?

Thanks everyone for your time and help! I look forward to spending lots of time in my new (to me) SI!

rim2.jpeg

rim1.jpeg
Any alloy wheel shop repair car fix that with ease. It costs about $100-120. My wife damaged the wheels on my 370z, and I had them repaired at that cost.

OP
OP
Hypergolic

Hypergolic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CR-V, 2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Any alloy wheel shop repair car fix that with ease. It costs about $100-120. My wife damaged the wheels on my 370z, and I had them repaired at that cost.
Thanks for the help, I'll try to find one local to me. The other question still stands, is there a good resource out there to walk me through a comprehensive cleaning/detailing regimen? I want to treat this car like it deserves, not like the old grocery-getters I've had in the past haha

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
For exterior care, basic steps are

1. Soap + rinse: method depends on water source, 2 bucket method or paid nozzle at self wash station if you don't have water source next to car/driveway

2. Dry with good microfiber towels: have "drying aid" lightly sprayed on towel like diluted optimum no rinse or spray wax

3. Wax: if car was never waxed or hasn't been waxed in a few months (can tell based on quality of water beading) then wax and buff on dried car

Optional--

Clay bar: use after washing and before waxing if your paint is feeling gritty. This leaves your paint feeling glass smooth and waxes/washes way better

Polish: the clear coat can accumulate light swirls/lines over time after drying/buffing/claying. Polish will wear down the clear coat slightly so it looks glass smooth again. Never done this as I'm scared to DIY take a DA machine to the thin paint and I won't put the elbow grease into doing it by hand.

Not sure how dated waxing is but I enjoy doing it. Seems like spray on ceramic coating is pretty good too. If you have PPF I THINK it's even easier to maintain.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
With my previous car, I followed the Meguiars 5-step paint care cycle with great results:
https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?65188-Meguiar-s-5-Step-Paint-Care-Cycle

With this Civic, I am getting lazy and I only do the minimum. By minimum, I meant I clay once a year; usually in early Spring. I wash and wax the car every few months. Between waxes, when I wash the car, I would top it up with Ultimate Quick Wax (Meguiars).

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
I would use some flat black enamel paint and call it a day. Most people wouldn't ever notice it. If it really bothers you though, do spend the money to get it properly repaired.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I hit the curb last week (picture) and got it fixed.
I received 4 quotes (all CAD): $425, $225, $150 and $150. I went with the $160 and after the repair, I can not tell where was the scuff. I listed all the quotes so you can be mindful not to be scammed.
To the OP, your scuff is minor, I would just get some matching paint to cover it up. Use whatever you can find in your house, or get nail polish of similar color from a dollar store.

Honda Civic 10th gen Minor scuff on rim AA0E965F-586D-4331-AFC8-0E9C823BAD3F

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hypergolic

Hypergolic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CR-V, 2020 Civic Si
Country flag
For exterior care, basic steps are

1. Soap + rinse: method depends on water source, 2 bucket method or paid nozzle at self wash station if you don't have water source next to car/driveway

2. Dry with good microfiber towels: have "drying aid" lightly sprayed on towel like diluted optimum no rinse or spray wax

3. Wax: if car was never waxed or hasn't been waxed in a few months (can tell based on quality of water beading) then wax and buff on dried car

Optional--

Clay bar: use after washing and before waxing if your paint is feeling gritty. This leaves your paint feeling glass smooth and waxes/washes way better

Polish: the clear coat can accumulate light swirls/lines over time after drying/buffing/claying. Polish will wear down the clear coat slightly so it looks glass smooth again. Never done this as I'm scared to DIY take a DA machine to the thin paint and I won't put the elbow grease into doing it by hand.

Not sure how dated waxing is but I enjoy doing it. Seems like spray on ceramic coating is pretty good too. If you have PPF I THINK it's even easier to maintain.

Thanks, I appreciate you and everyone else's responses here. Very happy to have found a good community!

OP
OP
Hypergolic

Hypergolic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CR-V, 2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I would use some flat black enamel paint and call it a day. Most people wouldn't ever notice it. If it really bothers you though, do spend the money to get it properly repaired.
I will probably end up doing this, maybe even brush on some Plastidip I have left over from the emblems and badges. If I can convince my wife I'll eventually upgrade the rims. I hear these stock rims are pretty heavy...

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda RF 2021 Toyota Supra GR 3.0
Country flag
Thanks for the help, I'll try to find one local to me. The other question still stands, is there a good resource out there to walk me through a comprehensive cleaning/detailing regimen? I want to treat this car like it deserves, not like the old grocery-getters I've had in the past haha
There's two shops in your area. Coco, and Melbourne. I think the company is called G-Force, or Gforce depending on which city. Rashed wheels ruin a cars appearance

OP
OP
Hypergolic

Hypergolic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CR-V, 2020 Civic Si
Country flag
There's two shops in your area. Coco, and Melbourne. I think the company is called G-Force, or Gforce depending on which city. Rashed wheels ruin a cars appearance
Very helpful, thanks! I'll give them a call when I have a chance-

TriangleHeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe (FC4, K20C2)
Country flag
For interior I avoid ArmorAll. In the past I've found their products to be too aggressive, for example the interior cleaner wipes actually removed white lettering for the clock controls (H, M) on center console buttons on the 8th Civic. I suspect it will also remove the lettering on the turn signal and wiper stalks.

My go to is this: https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-quik-interior-detailer-g13616-16-oz-spray
I've been using it for years, put it on a microfiber towel and wipe down all surfaces. It leaves no gloss, it gives UV protection. If you want gloss, they sell a version with gloss in it but I find gloss makes the interior look a little too loud. The product I linked is gentle, I've never had it harm any materials, finishes or raised lettering. If you use anything harsher you can have some serious problems, 70% isopropyl alcohol will cause cracking/crazing on certain clear plastics.

I use that same detailer for clear plastics like the instrument cluster but I use a separate microfiber towel, to limit abrasive particles being picked up from other areas and scratching them (clear plastics scratch if you so much as look in their direction lmao). You have to be smart about how you go about this, obviously if you wipe off something like mud or sand with this, you have to know the towel is going to scratch anything you rub it with, so maybe reserve a towel for the dirty high traffic areas like the door panels, glove box (where people's legs and shoes tend to go near), a towel for the other areas like the top of the dashboard and center console (where either nothing touches or your hands touch) and a towel for the clear plastics.
Sponsored