Minimum Tire to Strut Clearance

• Thread starter Deleted member 32006
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1

Deleted member 32006

I recently bought new wheels for the car but I’ve been having some trouble deciding on what tires (size) I should run.

The new wheels are 18x9.5 38mm and the tires I’m planning to buy are 255/35/18.

I used the willtheyfit.com website and the results indicated that the new setup will have an inner rim which is 7mm closer to the suspension strut. Is this something I should worry about and install spacers to correct that clearance? I’d really like to avoid too much poke and stretching tires.

View attachment 217429

SonicBreezerST160

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sonic Gray Pearl ST Hatchback
Country flag
I recently bought new wheels for the car but I’ve been having some trouble deciding on what tires (size) I should run.

The new wheels are 18x9.5 38mm and the tires I’m planning to buy are 255/35/18.

I used the willtheyfit.com website and the results indicated that the new setup will have an inner rim which is 7mm closer to the suspension strut. Is this something I should worry about and install spacers to correct that clearance? I’d really like to avoid too much poke and stretching tires.

View attachment 217429
They will fit, but you might need to roll rear fenders, and do the front 'tab' mod. I had 18x9.5", 38mm with 245/40-18's, but ran a lot of rear negative camber. I never have rear seat passengers, so not sure how you'd do (?) without a combination of both 2.7°-3.0° negative camber, and rolled fenders in that situation.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to threadjack, but I'm also wondering how close we can get to the suspension side. The 18x9 wheels I want are out of stock, but there are plenty of 18x9.5 wheels out there.

I don't want to be more than 25mm closer to the fender side. 18x9.5 +45 would be a total of 1.5" or 38.1mm wider. It will be 24.05mm closer to the fender, but 14.05mm closer to the strut... would this be too close?
Sponsored