Miles per gallon measurement problem

Peyole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
I have a 2016 EXL and I know the infotainment system isn’t the best, but I recently noticed that the miles per gallon and miles until empty numbers are no longer accurate. The miles per gallon used to be about 1.5 higher than the actual ones when I divided the odometer miles by the gallons at the gas station, but now they are consistently about 4 or 5 higher. The actual gas mileage I get has not changed. I have noticed this on 4 gas fill ups. Any advice on how to correct the issue? I have an oil change coming up in two days at the dealership but I don’t want to have to pay for a repair if it comes to that.
Sponsored

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The miles until empty is based on your recent MPG, that will always be changing. I've found that I have 2 gallons in the tank when mine hits 0 miles.

As far as the MPG goes, mine is always about 2mpg higher than my real life mpg. I always use fuelly to calculate and track my mileage and the dash is never the same.

OP
OP

Peyole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
I should clarify that it suddenly went about 5 higher and has continued that way. To show my mileage, and I don't know if anyone would be interested in this and I don't update it with every fill up, but here is a PDF spreadsheet of gas mileage and computer numbers. Through 90 entries and 36,736 miles I have averaged 36.84 mpg and 38.38 computer mpg bringing the delta to 1.54. The best I have ever gotten is 39.57 and according to the computer is 41.6. This sudden increase is what confuses me. There is about 6 or so thousand miles not on this spreadsheet.

Attachments

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
[QUOTE="Peyole, post: 498755, member: 6281" The miles per gallon used to be about 1.5 higher than the actual ones when I divided the odometer miles by the gallons at the gas station, but now they are consistently about 4 or 5 higher. The actual gas mileage I get has not changed. I have noticed this on 4 gas fill ups. .[/QUOTE]

This is not reliable IMO
Sponsored