500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
So 5th gear at about 120mph coming into a turn on the brakes and hit 4th a bit too early and watched rpms hit 7600 now I'm concerned. Should I do a compression test or run a scope to look at things? Doing an oil change now with a strainer to catch any stray metal pieces. Just looking for advice. I feel like the engine is fine but an hour commute makes it concerning.
Most misfire per cyl is 4 on an hour drive with my obd2 scanner.
Sponsored

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
The money shift would have been to like 2nd. I wouldn't even blink at what you did or worry at all.

OP
OP
Mcclaughry95

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
The money shift would have been to like 2nd. I wouldn't even blink at what you did or worry at all.
Thats makes me feel better. My fiance hit 2nd from 4th in my si and hit like 9k but it survived. Just first time for me in a car I really enjoy.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thats makes me feel better. My fiance hit 2nd from 4th in my si and hit like 9k but it survived.
A real money shift is when rod and piston fragments shoot out through the hood or out the bottom of the oil pan.
At 9k you get fuel shut off as the car protects itself from grenading.
Still scares the piss out of you regardless.
Ask me how I know.

OP
OP
Mcclaughry95

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
A real money shift is when rod and piston fragments shoot out through the hood or out the bottom of the oil pan.
At 9k you get fuel shut off as the car protects itself from grenading.
Still scares the piss out of you regardless.
Ask me how I know.
I've seen some things. But stressful when 1 of the 3 things in life you care about might get hurt, its panic. Lol

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You are 100% ok. You have the gtman guarantee. Like others have said, you didn't money shift. You just quickly bounced of the rev limiter. Relax and enjoy.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
If you actually hit 7600 RPM, you definitely over-revved the motor. That said, Hondata allows you to set the redline a bit higher than 7600 RPM, I think into the 8k region safely without much issue. Fuel cutoff will happen at 7k RPM. I think your motor is fine, but obviously can’t know for certain.

Edit: note that because you did technically over-rev the motor, that is noted in the system diagnosis stuff now on the car’s “black box.” Your powertrain warranty is likely bye bye since Honda has a scapegoat for denying power train stuff now saying you over-revved the motor and that’s the cause of all your issues.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
^ I'm gonna have to disagree here tinyman.

You really can't money shift in 4th so I 100% doubt he threw that ECU stored overrev code you're referring to. Bouncing off the rev limiter is not the same as overreving to 9,000+ rpm or something.

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
^ I'm gonna have to disagree here tinyman.

You really can't money shift in 4th so I 100% doubt he threw that ECU stored overrev code you're referring to. Bouncing off the rev limiter is not the same as overreving to 9,000+ rpm or something.
If he did hit 7600 RPM like he said, then he is past the 7000 RPM rev limiter, I feel like the car would store a an over-rev code since it is past the rev limiter (if stock, this can be changed in Hondata). Though that would only occur if he was going like 125 MPH shifting into 4th. Granted I will admit I'm unsure at what RPM the over-rev is triggered in a stock FK8. If tuned you can actually set this.

Engine damage typically won't occur on this car until you're past 8000 RPM from what others have stated on here (valve float issues). You're nearly top speed on the Type R at that speed so I doubt he did any damage to his motor.

Realistically you could ask a dealership if that over-rev code is stored to know for sure I guess.

Edit: OP states he was going like 120 in the OP. That would be 7200 RPM. He stated he saw the car hit 7600 RPM which happens around 125 MPH.

Last edited:

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Only 7600? Your fine I actually money shifted it 3 to 2 and sent it above 9k. That was over 10000kms ago. No issues.

OP
OP
Mcclaughry95

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
If you actually hit 7600 RPM, you definitely over-revved the motor. That said, Hondata allows you to set the redline a bit higher than 7600 RPM, I think into the 8k region safely without much issue. Fuel cutoff will happen at 7k RPM. I think your motor is fine, but obviously can’t know for certain.

Edit: note that because you did technically over-rev the motor, that is noted in the system diagnosis stuff now on the car’s “black box.” Your powertrain warranty is likely bye bye since Honda has a scapegoat for denying power train stuff now saying you over-revved the motor and that’s the cause of all your issues.
I gave up on warranty the moment I unlocked the ecu. I was more concerned about having to tow the car 58 miles back to home. If she blows then excuse for upgraded block and heads. Lol

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I gave up on warranty the moment I unlocked the ecu. I was more concerned about having to tow the car 58 miles back to home. If she blows then excuse for upgraded block and heads. Lol
Oh, then if you don't care about the warranty, your car itself will be fine. Hondata has options to set the red line higher (like 8000 RPM), so only hitting 7600 shouldn't damage the motor at all.

OP
OP
Mcclaughry95

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks everyone, better to see everyone's opinions so I can relax a bit. Would of been upsetting to break something 2 days before the new wheels arrive.
Sponsored