First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey guys,

I know it's recommended to get a set of snow tires for the type r since summers aren't very good in the winter. I am not worried about performance, but more so the PS4S tires cracking or breaking due to being outside or driving in temps around that 20 degree mark.

The avg temps around here get into the teens overnight, but during the days not so bad. I would not drive in the snow or rain.

Is it worth investing in super cheap snow wheels, Conti dws's on cheap rims (1311 from tire rack), to swap on for the three bad months, or sending it on my ps4s's and being extra careful.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Best,
Zac
Sponsored

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
As you know PS4S are summer tires. Wouldn't chance them in cold conditions as its not just the tires but your ride which is worth alot more..

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Second set of wheels for sure. Don’t run a summer tire during cold weather like that. If there is no weather (snow mainly) an AS tire may be able to suffice. But if you‘re going to have two sets, might as well do summer and winter IMO.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Get a dedicated set of winters. Your climate can't be that different from us here in Ontario and I'd never run a summer compound past November.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Get. Snow. Tires. Period. Ok, in PA, you can possibly get by with all-season tires, but if you are going the recommended route and getting some 18" winter wheels to boot, why not just get a dedicated winter tire.

The temps are killers for high performance summer tires. Admittedly, northern Vermont is a tad bit colder than where you are--winter days are often hovering around -10 to -20 F, and we get a good amount of snow--but no matter where you are, if the temps will routinely run below about 40 F summer tires are (literally, in some cases) a death sentence.

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I ran my summer tires to December once. It's a lot of fun not knowing where the car is going to go.

Get dedicated snow tires (18s) because they handle ice better. It's like a reward when you put your summer tires back on in the spring.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
I grew up in Philly and now live in the DC area, basically the same climate but we get a little less snow. I have PS4S for summer and dedicated snow tires on cheap winter rims for November - March. As others have said, it's not that your summer tires will crack, but they turn into hockey pucks below 40 degrees. It's a basic safety issue, and driving on summer tires in January puts you and anyone driving on the same roads as you at risk.

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i be driving on mine this winter but in Oklahoma most our winters get into the teen not very often we single digits. last year the stock conti's didnt do bad but they were loud going down the road

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Its a bad move buddy I remember when i ran the summers on 40 to 33 degree days. The ride was Scary as hell.. Car was not stable...I will never do that again.
Sponsored