Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 vs Crossclimate2

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
My Michelin Pilot Sport A/S4s are down to 4/16th tread depth after only 22k miles. Discount Tire has confirmed I'm eligible for a refund credit.

I love the A/S4s (absent the short tread life) and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again, but they've been on backorder for months from what I can tell. Discount Tire recommends the Crossclimate2 instead. We have mild winters here in central NC with occasional snow, so I don't need the snow traction.

To anyone who has driven on both tires, will I notice a dramatic decrease in performance (particularly grip)?
Sponsored

Last edited:

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
Crossclimate2s are all weather tires vs PS4S are ultra high performance (summer) tires

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Let's keep these things in mind, and perhaps it will help you make your choice.
@jdm_mike : Michelin PS4 is their performance summer tire. The Michelin PS4S is their performance all season tire. I'm sure it might have been a typo, but in this case it's pretty darn important point of distinction.

@Vegas Viking : Everything I have read indicates it is an excellent tire. I seriously considered them for my wife's SUV ... until I took into account that the CrossClimate / CrossClimate2 are directional tires, so your tire rotations will only be moving front tires to back, back tires to front, and keeping them on the same side ... no crossing the tires like you would for a normal tire rotation pattern.

I have heard excellent things about the Conti DWS 06 and Conti DWS 06 Plus. I have read on this forum that the tires are "meaty" and appear wider/bigger than other tires.

I am currently on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (aka PS4S) and I am over the moon happy with them. No, they're not Ultra High Performance Summer tires (it rains so much here that the wet driving dynamics are very high on my list of tire requirements).

My suggestions would be (in order of preference):
1 - Michelin PS4, if they are in stock.
2 - Michelin PS4S
3 - Conti DWS 06 Plus
4 - Can't recommend the CrossClimate2 for the Si, because I think you'd be sacrificing too much performance, and sacrificing the ability to properly rotate your tires.

I hope this helps, and wish you luck in your search.

OP
OP
Vegas Viking

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Let's keep these things in mind, and perhaps it will help you make your choice.
@jdm_mike : Michelin PS4 is their performance summer tire. The Michelin PS4S is their performance all season tire. I'm sure it might have been a typo, but in this case it's pretty darn important point of distinction.

@Vegas Viking : Everything I have read indicates it is an excellent tire. I seriously considered them for my wife's SUV ... until I took into account that the CrossClimate / CrossClimate2 are directional tires, so your tire rotations will only be moving front tires to back, back tires to front, and keeping them on the same side ... no crossing the tires like you would for a normal tire rotation pattern.

I have heard excellent things about the Conti DWS 06 and Conti DWS 06 Plus. I have read on this forum that the tires are "meaty" and appear wider/bigger than other tires.

I am currently on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (aka PS4S) and I am over the moon happy with them. No, they're not Ultra High Performance Summer tires (it rains so much here that the wet driving dynamics are very high on my list of tire requirements).

My suggestions would be (in order of preference):
1 - Michelin PS4, if they are in stock.
2 - Michelin PS4S
3 - Conti DWS 06 Plus
4 - Can't recommend the CrossClimate2 for the Si, because I think you'd be sacrificing too much performance, and sacrificing the ability to properly rotate your tires.

I hope this helps, and wish you luck in your search.
You are correct; I meant the A/S4s. I have corrected the original post.

Your synopsis is very helpful. I'd prefer another set of A/S4s, but unless they come back into stock, may have to "settle" for the Contis.

Last edited:

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You are correct; I meant the A/S4s. I have corrected the original post.

Your synopsis is very helpful. I'd prefer another set of A/S4s, but unless they come back into stock, may have to "settle" for the Contis.
I don't believe that the Conti's would be a step down.
I think they may do some things better than the Michelin's ... and some things not quite as good.
I grew up in the tire business, and I know that the $$$ spent on Michelin is well spent ... but there are good alternatives out there, and I believe that the Conti is a good one. I almost went Conti when I bought my Michelin's ... because of the price. But, I'd recently received a bonus ... so I splurged.

I haven't regretted my decision ... but I don't think I would have been disappointed with the DWS 06 Plus either.

OP
OP
Vegas Viking

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I don't believe that the Conti's would be a step down.
I think they may do some things better than the Michelin's ... and some things not quite as good.
I grew up in the tire business, and I know that the $$$ spent on Michelin is well spent ... but there are good alternatives out there, and I believe that the Conti is a good one. I almost went Conti when I bought my Michelin's ... because of the price. But, I'd recently received a bonus ... so I splurged.

I haven't regretted my decision ... but I don't think I would have been disappointed with the DWS 06 Plus either.
Any thoughts on the Conti Control Contact Sport SRS+? DT ranks them in their "Best" category.

Edit: Nevermind, just read it's basically identical to the DWS 06+. It's just exclusive to DT.

Last edited:

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any thoughts on the Conti Control Contact Sport SRS+? DT ranks them in their "Best" category.

Edit: Nevermind, just read it's basically identical to the DWS 06+. It's just exclusive to DT.
Personally, I'd avoid things that are "exclusive" to any one vendor ... because those items are typically not available for long, and makes replacing with an "identical" item more difficult.

Also, if on a trip, it's more unlikely that you'd be able to find THAT product.

geen01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I’ve run the cross climate on my stock wheels. Great all season. Going to run them in the winter.

I was going to get the as4 on 18’s but back ordered. I went with the DSW06 and they’re excellent. Two completely different tires. If you don’t need the snow rating I would go with the DSW06

sk9080

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I think I'm going to get the CrossClimate 2's this winter. I drive Uber part time so safety is especially important and the CC2's supposedly are almost as good as the best dedicated winter/snow tires. I'll probably stick with the stock wheels and tire size as I don't want to change the driving dynamics/characteristics with 4 passengers.

CC2 (all weather) vs. Pirelli Cinturato Winter 2 (dedicated winter tire)
Both BMW's are rear wheel drive
The BEST All-Season vs the BEST Winter Tyre Test 2022/23 - YouTube
"the rubber stays pliable at much lower temps. They are at the best from +7 C (+45 F) down to seriously cold -20 C (-4 F) or so."

Tyre Reviews Tyre Test Preview - Summer VS CrossClimate VS All Season VS Winter - YouTube

Unbelievable! Michelin CrossClimate 2 better than winter tires? - YouTube

Last edited: