geezerr54

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan, 01 Tacoma, 99 4Runner
Country flag
Hello All, I was wondering if anyone here has ever had A/S3's on thier civics. If so I'd like to hear opinions and would they ever purchase them again? Thanks in advance for all responses. Mike
Sponsored

Reactions: AVR

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a set of Micheline Pilot Sport A/S 4 on mine. Stock size on 8.5" Enkei's.

Very similar tread pattern and rubber compound ... basically a slightly updated 3+.
I've talked to several folks that had 3's and 3+'s, and they had all loved them.
Tons stickier than OEM Eagles ... with no gas mileage penalty.

I think they'd be a solid purchase for ya.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I have nothing bad to say about mine. Lots of grip in the Summer, got me through a snowstorm in the Winter, way better than stock overall. Although I thought they stopped making them after the A/S 4 came out.

OP
OP

geezerr54

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the quick replies but I guess I was a bit misleading. I already have a set on our 18 si. rotated properly, aired up correctly but as they wear noisey as all get out. They were fine for about 13,000 miles and then gradually got louder and louder to the point of sounding like wheel bearings going bad. I'm not sure if a bad belt in the tires would surface after wear but the two that were moved to the front both are loud just like they were when rear mounted. I was aware that the softer compound would cause quicker wear (17,500 presently looks like @22,000 they will have to be replaced). The stock tires just plain sucked overall, bad in the winter in any snow and did not handle for s**t. As my call name indicates I've been around a while and have owned several sets of Michelins without any complaints but I won't be buying these again. Mike

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
+1 for the A/S 3+ Three Berkshire winters and no issues after the new wore off (abt 200 miles). Great All Season performance tire. Be sure to get the W or Y rated tires - way better than the V in snow or ice.

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
Can confirm the wear and noise is pretty similar to what you describe on my A/S 4's, although I've gotten close to 40k miles on mine. I am going with the Continental Extreme Contacts this time. Grip just as good and less noisy. Haven't put them on yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP

geezerr54

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just wanted to update my past thread. I contacted Michelin cust. service and was issued a claim #. As instructed I took the car to a authorized Michelin dealer and after a very brief inspection was told the noise was caused by the rear wheels being out of alignment causing a minor cupping( barely noticable by feel or sight). The Si was never abused or potholed as to result in a change of factory specs in regard to alignment. Needless to say I'm not pleased that we have to get new tires even though there is enough tread to pass Pa inspection. I WILL NOT ever buy Michelin again! Just thought you all might find this info helpfull. Now to try and figure out what brand of A/S tires to buy. Thanks for listening to my rant, Mike aka geezerr54

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Cupping isn't a tire issue.
Best to get the alignment done before you cup another set.
(The A/S 3+ in the W & Y version is a relatively quiet UHP A/S tire - the H and V were noted for being noisy.)

Snmtazz70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500HP 2019 Honda Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I had an interior wall rear driver's blow out with one. I did not hit anything. Michelin said 30% discount after they looked at it, saying road hazard. Reported to BBB, now a 80% discount. Had about 5000 miles on them (I have 4, all the way around). I ended up buy Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s, since they had problems in the past, they should be better and much cheaper.

Honda Civic 10th gen Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Bad tire 1

Honda Civic 10th gen Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Bad tire 2

Honda Civic 10th gen Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ bad tire 3

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have about 20k miles on mine, and they're still quieter and grippier than the sock Eagle Sports.
I grew up in the tire/brakes/suspension business. Most tire places won't warranty the mileage claims for tires unless you:
a) let them align the car at the time of purchase or
b) go back to them for every tire rotation (and if you miss a rotation benchmark, your mileage warranty probably won't be honored).
There's no mention of when, or if, the car has been aligned since it was purchased.
It's just not fair or logical to blame the tires cupping on the tires.
It's an alignment issue. Every tire on the market will cup if the rear is out of alignment.
You don't have to abuse the car for the alignment to go askew.
I agree with @tacthecat ... get it aligned BEFORE putting another set of tires on it.

Snmtazz70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500HP 2019 Honda Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It was aligned before and after the blow out. No issues found that's how I got the 80%. Correct, regular blow outs/flats they dont cover without the tire protection. I also have PS4s which seem to be better, but not a/s tires, and more pricey.

Snmtazz70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500HP 2019 Honda Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It was aligned before and after the blow out, I track sometimes. No issues found that's how I got the 80%. Correct, regular blow outs/flats they dont cover without the tire protection. Once they saw the tire it became 80% coverage. I also have PS4s which seem to be better, but not a/s tires, and more pricey.

steemed.beans

First Name
Johnson, Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic coupe sport manual
Country flag
We’ve run the as3+ on our accord sport for three years, they work great as summer tires in the north east for the early snow storm; rubber stays useful down to about 20F. Rain traction even in puddling is excellent.

Wear is quite good for such a sticky tire, cornering is excellent even for our stock accord sport. What little understeer it had is almost non existent, although I expect it’s wearing other components faster due to enhanced grip.

That being said according to all of my sources the as3+ is discontinued and the as4 is nowhere near the same tire.
The as3+ has been discontinued for about 12 months.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The AS 4 is ranked 3rd of about 30 UHP tires evaluated at TR and rates a 99 out of 100% - it's as good as the AS3+ but others have upped their game.

OP
OP

geezerr54

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
First off thanks all for posted responces, as stated earlier I think I'm a bit older than most members here on the SI forum and truely understand the pro's of having an alignment performed when new tires are installed but the stocks(rotated religously) wore evenly with no evidence of abnormal wear patterns such as cupping , premature center or edge degradation which led me to believe that the factory alignment settings were spot on. I knew before purchasing that some reviews spoke of tire noise upon wear which I considered as being of a subjective nature based solely on opinion but boy was I wrong. As far as the way the Michelins handled was impressive and with the minimal amount of snow exposure they were good. I understand this comparison can be considered moot but 4 wheel drive vehicles are notorious for irregular tire wear issues on the front (I've owned quite a few) and even with some funny wear patterns they were never this loud. As to the alignment it's only as accurate as the tech performing the procedure. Sorry about being this longwinded but in this case I'm pissed about spending substantially more for substantially less quality (again my opinion). Whew! With that said can anyone suggest an all season that would perform on our SI's taking into consideration the capabilities of the cars. Thanks again for all the responces and taking the time to read my rant. Mike
Sponsored