Michelin pilot sport A/S 3+ is Harsher than stock?

brownman

Driving a car in the land of the truck
First Name
eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic lx sedan
Country flag
if you were in new mexico we would do it free for ya!
Sponsored

OP
OP
saiko21

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Hullabaloo. The Honda recommended tire for the HFP kit is a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

There's a reason Costco tire frequently has a 3 star review average or less. They aren't much better than Walmart with regards to the quality of their technicians.

I think they mounted them wrong, making a good balance impossible.
I will just head to Discount/America tires and get new tires installed and return these Michelins in Costco and eat up installation charges. I hope America's tires price match the tires. I will never get tires from Costco again. Bad experience with the tires made me realize that.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I will just head to Discount/America tires and get new tires installed and return these Michelins in Costco and eat up installation charges. I hope America's tires price match the tires. I will never get tires from Costco again. Bad experience with the tires made me realize that.
Hope the next try goes better!

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Even the best companies with the highest quality control let a few defective products make it out of the factory.

Michelin is a top tier tire manufacturer. They put millions into hiring scientists and engineers to spend years developing each tire they sell.

Their Pilot Sport series tires are known to be the best tire you can buy for a performance car worldwide. There are a lot of factors to consider before I would write off a brand like Michelin.

-Does the tech who installed them at Costco know what he’s doing? These people at tire shops and walmarts don’t need to be trained mechanics to work there. They can be about as qualified as the employees at Mcdonalds down the street. You’d be surprised how stupid some of these people are and the lack of care they show for customers vehicles.

-Did you truly get a bad batch of tires from the manufacturer?

-Is there something wrong with your car or the sizing that you chose for the tires?

Sucks dealing with crap like this, but Michelin should make it right if it is a defective tire(s).

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
-Does the tech who installed them at Costco know what he’s doing? These people at tire shops and walmarts don’t need to be trained mechanics to work there. They can be about as qualified as the employees at Mcdonalds down the street. You’d be surprised how stupid some of these people are and the lack of care they show for customers vehicles.
This is precisely why the last time I got tires (my PS A/S 3+) I did some research into local tire shops.

I'm tired of inconsistency and untrained staff at chains that don't care.

I found a local shop with a high 4.xx review average that has dozens of photos of Lambos, Ferraris, Corvettes, and other high end sports/luxury cars and even racecars getting tires.

If it's the choice place for these people they probably won't screw it up on my Si. (And they didn't. They did a fabulous job. My Si didn't make it to their Facebook page though :bs:)

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
My pilot sport a/s 3+ are excellent on my Type R, no problem at all and that is even with the fact that I got them ever so slightly used with a few miles on them. (they were too big and rubbed on my friends car, so after a few days he took them back off and sold em to me)

OP
OP
saiko21

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't think even America's tire uses road force balancing machine near my place. ?‍♂

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 FR-S, 2016 RAV4 Hybrid
Country flag
One time a Costco tire shop put clip-on weights on my Prius' wheels instead of the stick-ons. I immediately noticed and had to get them to rebalance the wheels again. The thing is, you're always going to have to be on the lookout for less-than-stellar work. For example, last year, a different tire shop left a clip-on weight inside my Rav4's wheel, so it was clunking around. This was despite the fact that my Rav4 uses stick-on weights.

Generally, I prefer Michelins. I've had the A/S 3+ on my FR-S for a few years now and have had zero issues. I'm getting the Pilot Sport 4S put on my Si tomorrow... at Costco. :)

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Generally, I prefer Michelins.
We buy nothing but, specifically because of the build quality and stringent QA.
And I still get the employee discount which doesn’t hurt either.
I have Pilot Super Sports on my Boxster, and that little car sticks to the road like shit to a blanket.
It has more grip than I have cojones when out on the backroads.

Last edited:

OP
OP
saiko21

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update: got new set from America's tire as they road force balance and price matched Costco price. Returned all my tires to Costco and got a refund for it

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Update: got new set from America's tire as they road force balance and price matched Costco price. Returned all my tires to Costco and got a refund for it
What’s the verdict with the difference in feel now?

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I’ve had zero issues with mine. I did plus size the width 245/40/18. Smooth as silk.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I have yet to achieve a tire squeal in the few days I've driven mine thus far. Too much grip! :love:

I’ve had zero issues with mine. I did plus size the width 245/40/18. Smooth as silk.
Did it look noticeably different? Does this create more protection from curb rash, I wonder? I should have considered this...
Sponsored