First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So the past few days, I've scraped getting into my driveway, and it sounds horrid. It's a bit odd as I've pulled in much faster many a time with no issues. Take a look underneath, and the two threaded screws (in the front) that hold the metal shield you have to remove to do an oil change are GONE. Now some backstory -

I leased a 2017 civic hatch when I was still in college - no place to change oil, it was a leased vehicle etc. so I didn't do anything to the car maintenance or mod wise aside from a better radio unit. One day I'm driving down the highway doing 70mph and all of a sudden there is a loud bang and a horrid scraping noise. I pull off at the next rest stop and see that my shield is hanging down and has scraped off a bunch of the metal. Go to the dealership, and they tried to convince me I went over a bump and somehow unscrewed the screws despite the fact that you need probably 10 turns or more to tighten them. I'm a machinist by trade, don't try to pull this over on me. I also didn't do ANYTHING to that car so they had to have forgotten to put them back after changing oil the last time. So that makes sense as plenty of others have had this happen to them.

Anyway... fast forward to yesterday. I'm looking all over my garage, going over the driveway and grass at the edges with a magnet, going through my tool boxes, NOTHING. I use a magnetic tray when I change my oil for the fasteners, so I am 110%positive I put them back. It's been probably 2 months since I changed my oil as well... How would this shield only pop out now, as opposed to the last 5k miles or so?? I am beyond lost. BEYOND lost.

Has anyone had this happen? I mean there is the possibility of not putting them back but again, I use a little magnet tray SPECIFICALLY to prevent crap like this.

Luckily those screws are $1.97 a piece. But for real though does anyone have a similar story??? Or am I just losing all my marbles here...
Sponsored

OP
OP
disgraced.fk8

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You have to ensure that the engine metal shield goes under the front plastic cover, as per picture. It can be forgotten easily

Engine under cover.JPG
Appreciat the input man, I'm a machinist by trade so I am quite aware of that. Screwing into the metal with plastic behind it does absolutely nothing. It was still partially under the plastic so I know it was oriented correctly anyways

OP
OP
disgraced.fk8

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nah, not those 1/4 turn ones. The threaded ones as I stated above. Here's a pic!

Honda Civic 10th gen MIA: Oil Change Shield Screws bolt

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Another post about a bad job about oil change.
Those screw are metric, something close are available at Home Depot. I bougt some for spair, I do my own oil change.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Nah, not those 1/4 turn ones. The threaded ones as I stated above. Here's a pic!

bolt.png
I got the same screws from my dealer. I lost one of the screw after I made my oil change and trust me I tightened it properly. yet it flew off or lost somehow. it's $1 at my dealer

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I got the same screws from my dealer. I lost one of the screw after I made my oil change and trust me I tightened it properly. yet it flew off or lost somehow. it's $1 at my dealer

IMO you think ( but you are not ) you tightened it properly, How can you explain you lost it you lost it ?
Something you do wrong.

I do my own oil change on our family Civics since 2016, I never lost one.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
IMO you think ( but you are not ) you tightened it properly, How can you explain you lost it you lost it ?
Something you do wrong.

I do my own oil change on our family Civics since 2016, I never lost one.
Nope I guess it's vibrations in that area. May be not inserted properly... I am not sure but I always check everything after I fix screws.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nope I guess it's vibrations in that area. May be not inserted properly... I am not sure but I always check everything after I fix screws.

There is no vibration to lost bolts there unless your car have a issue,

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There is no vibration to lost bolts there unless your car have a issue,
That's why I said may be not properly tightened or overlooked only that screw. I do lot of canyon driving. Also, there will be some vibrations at highspeeds due to wind etc. If there no vibrations then there's no needs of fastener and torque requirements for those.

Final conclusion is I forgot or overlooked that one screw which costed me $1 and 15 min of fun drive to dealer

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
If you're talking about these fasteners they can't be picked-up with a magnet.

keep us informed of your findings

Fastener.JPG
Where can I buy these. I'm missing all of them. My shield stays up rn with the power of thought.