Jaredd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys,

I have a 2020 civic SI and I am considering the MHI Turbo upgrade as it fits all my needs. I am currently running TSP Stage 1 with a PRL Stage 1 Intake.
My question is if I get the MHI Turbo and tune it to around 260WHP and under 300lb/ft of torque, will this still be a reliable daily for the next 10 years/100,000KM?
I have seen posts stating that the engines limit is around 290lb/ft but I am unsure if it will still be safe with my intended setup. I also heard the 2020 L15B7 has beefier rods? It would be awesome if someone could shed some light on this. I do plan on upgrading the clutch and I have an intercooler upgrade sitting in my garage ready to be installed.

Thanks!!
Sponsored

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think anyone can give an estimate on ten year reliability for the stock turbo, let alone a replacement.

Of the two installed I know of, one has failed one hasn't. The one that failed had odd circumstances surrounding it and was pushed pretty hard.

The one that's still running has been driven daily in regular commuter situations with occasional pulls.

There are hybrids built from si turbos out there that seem to be doing ok as well

You may want to try out the new TSP tune before dropping td03 money as it's a pricey option

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Based on my CivicX tuning experience and running the reliability survey, longevity often has less to do with parts installed or tunes and more to do with the nut behind the wheel. Let's face it, there are some owners who have failures on stock 10th gens and we have people running tuned 10th gens for 100,000 miles and going strong.

OP
OP
Khowl99

Khowl99

First Name
Jaredd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@gtman That is a fair point, I went through your survey thread and found that the trend was definitely the driving habits or being stupid with modifying and power outputs. Guess I read too many horror stories of bending rods and got me worried about my daily haha.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@86salmon I'll be sure to check out the new TSP Tune, thanks for the quick response!
No problem. I don't know when the release will be, but it looks promising.

If you want to know more about td03, there's a thread for it.

I'm currently getting a new tune for mine since adding the 27won TIP and PRL race MAF. I'll be posting about it on my build thread once it's done
Sponsored