First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine blew the seal on the compressor side. On the car for 8 days. 681 miles. Started smoking while parked idling
63D3F51B-4955-487B-B5B6-F77F0E72B03B.jpeg
with 10w-40?
what kind of tune were you running?

Lastly, can you honestly tell us that wasn't the best 8 days and 681 miles of your relationship with the car?

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is significant. Without any loss of horsepower or torque anywhere. A 44-45whp gain is very nice. $1800 though....

The peak horsepower is good for CVTs as well since the turbo upgrade is not moving the peak horsepower higher in the rpm range.
civicsi-stock-vs-mitsubishi-turbo.png
looking like tsp stage 1 #'s

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Yeah, but if it leads to that much torque on a basemap, there would need to be a new OTS Basemap to flash and not endanger the CVT. That plot tells me there is an unfriendly 2000rpm range in the middle. Bummer.... I was hoping it could be installed and a basemap could be used as a basis to DIY Tune. I guess setting BBG to like 8psi would be safe, but knowing the OOB Capacity to wreck the CVT and not having a dyno to map the output given tuning parameters..... I'm 100% less interested in this as an upgrade for my uses.
If someone installs it and provides varying dyno vs boost plots, I could change my mind. As it stands, I don't need to pay $1800 to brick my car.
Hondata provides calibration for Civic SI with MHI turbo bolt on. If I read the calibration correctly, the calibration is using the same boost table tuning as +9 PSI Civic SI calibration.

I think CVT owners still can use MHI TD03 turbo safely but we must get professional tuner familiar with Civic X platform and bigger turbo upgrade to get the car tuned properly. Power would be lower than SI and MT cars. Dyno tune is preferred to make sure a safe power curve for CVT in the initial tuning.

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yeah, but if it leads to that much torque on a basemap, there would need to be a new OTS Basemap to flash and not endanger the CVT. That plot tells me there is an unfriendly 2000rpm range in the middle. Bummer.... I was hoping it could be installed and a basemap could be used as a basis to DIY Tune. I guess setting BBG to like 8psi would be safe, but knowing the OOB Capacity to wreck the CVT and not having a dyno to map the output given tuning parameters..... I'm 100% less interested in this as an upgrade for my uses.
If someone installs it and provides varying dyno vs boost plots, I could change my mind. As it stands, I don't need to pay $1800 to brick my car.
I've got no issues. So far so good on my own hybrid turbo build. It's running very good.
Yes please use the correct oil & get it professionally tuned.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/ktuner-initial-custom-tune-on-hybrid-turbo.52877/

awsomsauce

First Name
Theodore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Gen si and 2 6 gen sedans
Country flag
with 10w-40?
what kind of tune were you running?

Lastly, can you honestly tell us that wasn't the best 8 days and 681 miles of your relationship with the car?
No I took it to the dealership for an oil change and the next day the seal blew. I didn’t know anything about using a different oil. No paperwork information came with the turbo. No new gasket or lines. I had to buy all stock stuff new.
as for when it was running with no issues... I want that back

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No I took it to the dealership for an oil change and the next day the seal blew. I didn’t know anything about using a different oil. No paperwork information came with the turbo. No new gasket or lines. I had to buy all stock stuff new.
as for when it was running with no issues... I want that back
That's suspicious timing

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura TLX Type-S / 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Sounds like the dealer might have over filed the oil when you when in had it changed, There was a member that had a new COMP turbo do the same thing a while back with they overfilled the oil level to the same as you had .. not 100% sure but putting my $$$ that this might be what caused the seal to let go.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Well if that was the case you can consider yourself lucky if it was just the seal that blew and allowed the oil pressure to be relieved... it could have been much worse

awsomsauce

First Name
Theodore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Gen si and 2 6 gen sedans
Country flag
So Mitsubishi apparently is asking owners to use a thicker oil. 10w40. My tech guy said that oil is too thick. So I’m removing the turbo and putting the stock one back on.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So this closed the book on the MHI TD03?

Why the heck would they design and sell an upgrade specific to a vehicle that requires an out-of-spec change to the vehicle? This is crazy

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
is there a source for that oil requirement for this turbo? Doesn't seem right tbh given its literally made for this car.

[Edit] just saw the link. that's very weird.