Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Tempting.

I wonder if 1.5T CVT owners can maximize turbo capability with stock internal, while maintaining decent CVT lifetime. Of course, torque & power may need to be adjusted lower vs. Manual transmission friends.

I will seriously consider switch to KTuner & start saving for TD03 if CVT owners can safely upgrade to TD03 & enjoy the capability of the turbo without strengthening stock internal & worrying about damaging the CVT.

Need to learn more before making decision.?
so many have done it here & the thais are a little more on the extreme side with crazy numbers. imo ultimately it is the owner's right foot, driving behavior & attitude regardless of transmission type.
try not to be too abusive, use it when you need it.
back to basics, the higher the power gains = the lower the reliability.
Sponsored

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I realize cost is always a factor when picking parts for upgrade, but w2 isn't going to perform the same. Given its size difference, I don't expect it to spool as quickly. I do expect it to have a higher top end, but seeing how they've only shows us cad drawings I'll wait until they tell us more.

The testing of rv6 unit is interesting. It's top end is still unknown due to the fuel system limitations!! No price yet though

The actuator is a $200 part, so there's that. There's also MHI strict tolerances to consider. It's definitely a robust part

I have a dyno appointment on a Mustang Tuesday. We'll see what that shows us. More data will always be helpful.

Having another install from a fellow forum member will be nice. Also, Edgeautosport is bound to have their testing results soon too
Well the W2 will be a ball bearing turbo and we all know ball bearings do spool a lot faster than normal journal ones.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well the W2 will be a ball bearing turbo and we all know ball bearings do spool a lot faster than normal journal ones.
That should help with potential lag

We're just gonna have to wait and see though aren't we

awsomsauce

First Name
Theodore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Gen si and 2 6 gen sedans
Country flag
how will that work with the oil feed system? Ball bearing turbos require high pressure oil feed. I’m not sure if our base oiling system is high pressure.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
how will that work with the oil feed system? Ball bearing turbos require high pressure oil feed. I’m not sure if our base oiling system is high pressure.
Well people are running prl big turbo which use garrett ball bearing turbo’s without issue for some time already

_HatchED_

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hatchback Sport 6mt
Country flag
Ball bearing turbo's require less pressure and flow. Some manufacturers have a restrictor built into the turbocharger oil feed. So if the oiling system in our cars is enough for a journal bearing turbo, it'll be fine for a ball bearing with proper oil restriction.

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I see a lot of talk for the W2 which makes perfect sense. Bigger than the TD03, ball bearing and similar pricing (probably anyway). Sounds quite tempting. BUT...what about reliability? Which is best? Shifting power and torque to the right with higher boost or shifting power and torque to the right with a bigger turbo and lower boost?

Bottom line question: Better to run the journal TD03 at say 23-24PSI or running the ball bearing W2 at 21-22PSI to reach the same hp?(numbers are random-example only). For argument sake, please leave driveability out.

I will definitely install a bigger turbo to the CRV. However, I do not have only the clutch to worry about(I have a manual gearbox identical to the non-Si). I also need to think about the main drive shaft, the rear diff and the rear drive shafts (its an AWD). Those things cant handle too much torque.Maybe they can, but I am not willing to find out. I could go for the TD03 no questions asked BUT I am not interested in torque or less lagging in low RPMs. I prefer high RPM HP, that's why I am not leaving the W1 (or W2) out of the equation.Would it make sense to spend the same amount of $$ for the same result (say +30hp) running more boost on the TD03 or less boost on the W2? Journal or ball bearing is more reliable in the long run? Havent custom tuned yet (I have more parts on the way to install), but Honda claims 173hp as stock and now I definitely have 200hp, no question.

Running only ktuner 21 base maps and a PRL SRI at the moment and the car tops out at 147mph which is pretty good for a SUV(PRL DP and Injen FMIC on the way). I still need better acceleration with 2nd,3rd and 4th gears so the car will be faster than the competition. A bigger turbo will hopefully compensate for the 1670kg....

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I see a lot of talk for the W2 which makes perfect sense. Bigger than the TD03, ball bearing and similar pricing (probably anyway). Sounds quite tempting. BUT...what about reliability? Which is best? Shifting power and torque to the right with higher boost or shifting power and torque to the right with a bigger turbo and lower boost?

Bottom line question: Better to run the journal TD03 at say 23-24PSI or running the ball bearing W2 at 21-22PSI to reach the same hp?(numbers are random-example only). For argument sake, please leave driveability out.

I will definitely install a bigger turbo to the CRV. However, I do not have only the clutch to worry about(I have a manual gearbox identical to the non-Si). I also need to think about the main drive shaft, the rear diff and the rear drive shafts (its an AWD). Those things cant handle too much torque.Maybe they can, but I am not willing to find out. I could go for the TD03 no questions asked BUT I am not interested in torque or less lagging in low RPMs. I prefer high RPM HP, that's why I am not leaving the W1 (or W2) out of the equation.Would it make sense to spend the same amount of $$ for the same result (say +30hp) running more boost on the TD03 or less boost on the W2? Journal or ball bearing is more reliable in the long run? Havent custom tuned yet (I have more parts on the way to install), but Honda claims 173hp as stock and now I definitely have 200hp, no question.

Running only ktuner 21 base maps and a PRL SRI at the moment and the car tops out at 147mph which is pretty good for a SUV(PRL DP and Injen FMIC on the way). I still need better acceleration with 2nd,3rd and 4th gears so the car will be faster than the competition. A bigger turbo will hopefully compensate for the 1670kg....
Just letting you know the W1 turbo already had a TD04 CHRA lol which I currently run on my Si with FBO and upgraded clutch/flywheel tuned by DRob on 91 Cali pump pushing 280whp at 26-27psi

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just letting you know the W1 turbo already had a TD04 CHRA lol which I currently run on my Si with FBO and upgraded clutch/flywheel tuned by DRob on 91 Cali pump pushing 280whp at 26-27psi
Cool. 280 whp sounds way too much for my transmission (and the rods probably as I do have the Si pistons and turbo but the rods are those of the non-Si). Say I want to do 280hp (flywheel, not whp). Which is better for reliability? Running the W1 at 24 psi or the TD03 at 27 psi?(again, numbers are indicative). Both turbos can make the 280hp at the flywheel.

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Cool. 280 whp sounds way too much for my transmission (and the rods probably as I do have the Si pistons and turbo but the rods are those of the non-Si). Say I want to do 280hp (flywheel, not whp). Which is better for reliability? Running the W1 at 24 psi or the TD03 at 27 psi?(again, numbers are indicative). Both turbos can make the 280hp at the flywheel.
We need to see TD03 dyno result to get better visibility on turbocharger capability in terms of torque and RPM combo.

My wild guess... TD03 at 21 PSI is enough for 280 BHP (flywheel/crank HP). You may need to carefully tune the bottom end to manage torque. According to general opinion, 27Won turbo move the torque curve/power band to the right. This will lead to a slightly lower torque at low RPM.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Torque is what kills rods not horsepower

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
@Anger an FK7 with a Hybrid conversion to TD03 CHRA is pushing a healthy 260+ whp already in Greece and an FC1 is about to follow. I pretty much think this is the safe ceiling for EUDM's with a healthy 35-37kgm of torque spread nicely from 3500-5500 rpm. I'm not sure you can take advantage of a better blower without touching your internals and/or transmission. In this context I do think that a 2860/TD04 is an overkill for us.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Anger an FK7 with a Hybrid conversion to TD03 CHRA is pushing a healthy 260+ whp already in Greece and an FC1 is about to follow. I pretty much think this is the safe ceiling for EUDM's with a healthy 35-37kgm of torque spread nicely from 3500-5500 rpm. I'm not sure you can take advantage of a better blower without touching your internals and/or transmission. In this context I do think that a 2860/TD04 is an overkill for us.
My good friend has a
PRL Motorsports turbo kit
Garrett GTX2860 Gen2

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I always wanted a w1 but I actually think they still make a bit too much low end torque. I would probably go with a 2867 personally, not sure what that lag would feel like on the street but it seems like a good power band for reliability. Also when fuel upgrades come out for the 1.5, I think you’d have a monster(Mexico highway rolls) with the 2867. Main reason I haven’t upgraded turbo yet is because I’m torn, I don’t really want a ton of turbo lag but I don’t want a ton of low end torque to blow my engine. Can’t wait to see how the rv6 and w2 drop in do
Sponsored