0percentapr

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I've looked at several threads and asked several people already, but can anyone get me a definitive answer on whether this upgrade would need 10w40 oil? That's a very thick oil, how does our engine deal with it? Has anyone ran this turbo upgrade long term without issues?
Sponsored

HondaFanz2018

First Name
HondaFanz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (Stolen), 2013 Honda Accord Sport V6
Country flag
I've looked at several threads and asked several people already, but can anyone get me a definitive answer on whether this upgrade would need 10w40 oil? That's a very thick oil, how does our engine deal with it? Has anyone ran this turbo upgrade long term without issues?
I can tell you from 20 years of working on various engines (BMW, Porsche some Honda) 10W40 is too thick. These newer engines have very small clearances and you could possibly cause issues with VTC especially when the engine is cold. Oil that is too thick or too thin can damage your engine. I've been there before and damaged a few engines going to thick

OP
OP

0percentapr

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I can tell you from 20 years of working on various engines (BMW, Porsche some Honda) 10W40 is too thick. These newer engines have very small clearances and you could possibly cause issues with VTC especially when the engine is cold. Oil that is too thick or too thin can damage your engine. I've been there before and damaged a few engines going to thick
That's what I figured, it's weird that that's the suggestion that they made especially when the turbo was made specifically for this engine. Haven't gotten a definitive answer yet, not sure if it's worth it. The only reason I wanted to go for it was because the Hondata carb reflash has a map for the MHI turbo but if it's too much trouble I might just stick with the other maps

HondaFanz2018

First Name
HondaFanz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (Stolen), 2013 Honda Accord Sport V6
Country flag
That's what I figured, it's weird that that's the suggestion that they made especially when the turbo was made specifically for this engine. Haven't gotten a definitive answer yet, not sure if it's worth it. The only reason I wanted to go for it was because the Hondata carb reflash has a map for the MHI turbo but if it's too much trouble I might just stick with the other maps
Your better off sticking with the recommended 0W20 synthetic, some on here run 0W30 but from my experience following manufactures recommendation is the safest bet. I oil starved an E46 that normally took 10W30 by using 20W50 because I was tracking it...young and dumb. I spent months and a ton of cash rebuilding the engine

OP
OP

0percentapr

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Your better off sticking with the recommended 0W20 synthetic, some on here run 0W30 but from my experience following manufactures recommendation is the safest bet. I oil starved an E46 that normally took 10W30 by using 20W50 because I was tracking it...young and dumb. I spent months and a ton of cash rebuilding the engine
Dang, being young is an illness LOL. Hmm I might just tweak with my suspension and stuff then, I don't want to have to deal with that stuff

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I can't speak for the turbo upgrade, but running a 0W-20 that is at the high side of the 20 spec seems like a smart idea if you aren't after max fuel economy. Amsoil SS or PUP are both rated at 8.8, which still gives you headroom to mix in one quart of 0W-30 and be around 9.2/9.3, the upper limit of the 20 spec.

I've been using Amsoil 0W-20 but I'm about to start ordering quarts of 0W-30 to do just that.

lunabar825

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatch sport
Country flag
It's very weird the MHI is calling for that weight oil for this engine. Considering they made the stock turbo! Why couldn't they just build the internals to handle the same type of oil??? Seems very weird.... this is the only thing stopping me from buying this.

OP
OP

0percentapr

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
It's very weird the MHI is calling for that weight oil for this engine. Considering they made the stock turbo! Why couldn't they just build the internals to handle the same type of oil??? Seems very weird.... this is the only thing stopping me from buying this.
No clue lol, seems like an important thing to miss

sexx.si

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2006 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Running 5w30 in my Si with the TD03 upgrade.

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
I am using 0w30 modul 8100 only.
I have 4k with the TD03 and so far is good.

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
Custom provided by atm-tuning
Sponsored