Metallic vs flat paint?

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Hey guys so I am curious about flat red or metallic blue and which is going to hold up longer. I do like to take my car through car wash occasionally especially in winter. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase
any paint going to a car wash with brushes isn't going to look very nice. I always advise others to stay away from drive through car washes unless it's the brushless ones. Those big brushes spin and trap dirt..then when it comes to your cat it spins and hits your car with the dirt..I've seen many vehicles with scratches come out of those washes. Either wash it yourself or find a brushless wash.

martyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boring Accord family hauler
any paint going to a car wash with brushes isn't going to look very nice. I always advise others to stay away from drive through car washes unless it's the brushless ones. Those big brushes spin and trap dirt..then when it comes to your cat it spins and hits your car with the dirt..I've seen many vehicles with scratches come out of those washes. Either wash it yourself or find a brushless wash.
Agreed. Definitely don't let car wash brushes touch your car. And if you do wash it yourself, lean how to do a 2 or 3 bucket wash to avoid swirl marks.

///Mookster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Agreed. Definitely don't let car wash brushes touch your car. And if you do wash it yourself, lean how to do a 2 or 3 bucket wash to avoid swirl marks.
To help avoid swirl marks also make sure the car is always waxed so dirt can be cleaned off easily when cleaning without having to rub hard.

OP
OP
firsthonda

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Ok thanks. I been realizing that my eight year old car has only been going through car wash for last three years. When I get this new car I won't go through cAR wash now that I think about it.

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Having had taffeta white on my last accord, and metallic colors on other cars. The metallic colors are usually dual stage while the non-metallic are single stage without a clear coat.

I would not own another non-metallic color, as I kept very good care of the taffeta white and it would dull/oxidize pretty quickly and stain easily which were harder to get off. The only benefit to the non metallic colors is they can be rejuvenated easier through different buffing processes.

OP
OP
firsthonda

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Having had taffeta white on my last accord, and metallic colors on other cars. The metallic colors are usually dual stage while the non-metallic are single stage without a clear coat.

I would not own another non-metallic color, as I kept very good care of the taffeta white and it would dull/oxidize pretty quickly and stain easily which were harder to get off. The only benefit to the non metallic colors is they can be rejuvenated easier through different buffing processes.

Yes I heard that about flat colors. Still torn between blue and red. Guess will have to see in person. The blue coupe had grey interior while the sedan has dark (which I like) So will have to wait closer to march and see in person. Saw red in person of course it was in a show room and looked amazing. Still have not seen blue in person...
Sponsored