Metallic sound when decelerating

00typer1071

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRX STI
Country flag
I think I just started noticing this sound yesterday since its been getting warmer lately and i have been driving with the windows down. It actually reminds me a bit of the sound I had when I had my WRX which was a result of a clutch bearing issue. But, definitely different things here since the clutch bearing issue sound went away if I clutch in. In the R, it's some kind of sound that comes on and off based on decelerating and throttling. But, I noticed the sound went away after driving the car a bit. Going to keep an eye out on this when I go out driving again.
It's your wastegate. Exact symptoms I had.
No fix yet.
Sponsored

C-CAT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
New member here...figured I’d introduce myself by saying I picked up my ‘19 CTR yesterday w/ 6 miles on the odo and noticed the supposed wastegate actuator rattle with the windows down a mile down the road from the dealer on my way home. While I love everything else about the car so far, this issue is Quite annoying...especially coming into warm weather, window down season here.

All 3 people who I’ve driven around so far noticed it right away...while it’s distracting and frustrating, I suppose it’s something I can live with and get used to until/if Honda ever decides to listen to us and finally come up with a solution to the problem. As long as it’s not causing any ill effects or bad for the turbo down the road, it is what it is. I just hope we can all be helped with this soon so we can go back to enjoying ours cars with one less distraction.

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
New member here...figured I’d introduce myself by saying I picked up my ‘19 CTR yesterday w/ 6 miles on the odo and noticed the supposed wastegate actuator rattle with the windows down a mile down the road from the dealer on my way home. While I love everything else about the car so far, this issue is Quite annoying...especially coming into warm weather, window down season here.

All 3 people who I’ve driven around so far noticed it right away...while it’s distracting and frustrating, I suppose it’s something I can live with and get used to until/if Honda ever decides to listen to us and finally come up with a solution to the problem. As long as it’s not causing any ill effects or bad for the turbo down the road, it is what it is. I just hope we can all be helped with this soon so we can go back to enjoying ours cars with one less distraction.
It’s normal and what electronic wastegates do because there’s no spring keeping pressure on the actuator.

Go drive new cars with electronic waste gates and they’ll make the same sounds. M cars, AMGs, all make the same noise.

KhashTR19

Manual Mania
First Name
Khashayar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe, White
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have heard the noise mostly when the car is cold (not always), mostly during deceleration, but (and I think I posted this before) the most obvious and striking sound was when I was just backing out of my garage. Obviously, a slow acceleration, and there were no interfering noises. The walls of the garage, like a tunnel, amplified the noise: like lead pipes rolling around and scraping.

foyevtsov

First Name
Oleksandr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fiesta SE Hatch, 2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I have heard the noise mostly when the car is cold (not always), mostly during deceleration, but (and I think I posted this before) the most obvious and striking sound was when I was just backing out of my garage. Obviously, a slow acceleration, and there were no interfering noises. The walls of the garage, like a tunnel, amplified the noise: like lead pipes rolling around and scraping.
I am in the process of addressing a similar issue to maybe what you mentioned: slow speed, backing etc. Does any of my sounds familiar to you? See here https://www.civicx.com/threads/another-ctr-strange-braking-sounds.36491/

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
It’s normal and what electronic wastegates do because there’s no spring keeping pressure on the actuator.

Go drive new cars with electronic waste gates and they’ll make the same sounds. M cars, AMGs, all make the same noise.
I had a 10th Gen SI which also has an electronic wastegate. It did not make this sound.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Has everyone here filed a complaint with Honda Corporate on the phone yet? If not, please do so ASAP.

PavelCTR

First Name
Pavel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I have two noises....

1# - 6th gear about 120kmh / 80mph... You give just about the same throttle as the speed. Not even accelerate. You will then hear a high pitch sound from the gearbox that follows the RPM. It's most noticeable between 100 and 130km/h on my car.
2# - A rattlesound from the enginebay. the sound reminds me of worn bearings, but it's not related to RPM.
Hello, I have absolutely the same problem like 1#. How did you solved it? My dealer told me that some bearings from gearbox makes this noise and must be replaced!

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
Hello, I have absolutely the same problem like 1#. How did you solved it? My dealer told me that some bearings from gearbox makes this noise and must be replaced!
Well... When me and my dealer went for a testdrive and we couldn't hear it because of heavy rain. Also, all roads in that area have very low speed limits.
I basically said "fuck it... But if the tranny fails, you replace it.... Just have a note of this". We both agreed on it.

So for now... I'm still having that sound. I am more annoyed about small rocks/chips gathering up around the front wheel brakes making noises when i drive slowly.

PavelIP1986

First Name
Pavel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Well... When me and my dealer went for a testdrive and we couldn't hear it because of heavy rain. Also, all roads in that area have very low speed limits.
I basically said "fuck it... But if the tranny fails, you replace it.... Just have a note of this". We both agreed on it.

So for now... I'm still having that sound. I am more annoyed about small rocks/chips gathering up around the front wheel brakes making noises when i drive slowly.
Okay... I'll tell you some weeks later if the problem get solved by replacing the bearings in the gearbox. About your second Problem with the rattlesound - my dealer will replace the control unit of the wastegate.

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
Okay... I'll tell you some weeks later if the problem get solved by replacing the bearings in the gearbox. About your second Problem with the rattlesound - my dealer will replace the control unit of the wastegate.
Here you can hear some of my noises. Keep me posted about your repairs :)

KhashTR19

Manual Mania
First Name
Khashayar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe, White
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The noise foyevtsov has recorded (thank you for sharing) is not what I was talking about. That sounds more like coming to a slow stop at a stop sign or traffic light, which was getting better before I sold the car on Friday. I spoke to a mechanic (a knowledgable one) who works with and knows about Brembos. Apparently, this is almost ubiquitous with the high-performance brakes. He said it had to do with a vibration frequency more than metal-against-metal scraping. Sounded a bit hokey until he also mentioned that Porsche had put out a bulletin to inform the drivers of the noise.

The noise I was hearing was a clanking, NOT when I applied the brakes. It happened more with going from first to second and also, as I mentioned, during backing out of my garage.

At any rate, I wish you all good luck. I am now the proud owner of a more down-to-earth Civic Si. I will miss the TYPE R and wish all of you out there years worth of joyful, safe, and exciting miles.

polishedmetalctr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
Some people have posted about grinding or metal on metal sounds. That’s not the right sound we are talking about in this thread. This thread is about the keys jingling sound you hear when you let off the throttle. My si used to do it when the turbo was still cold then it went away. On the type r, it still does it when warm... just quieter

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Some people have posted about grinding or metal on metal sounds. That’s not the right sound we are talking about in this thread. This thread is about the keys jingling sound you hear when you let off the throttle. My si used to do it when the turbo was still cold then it went away. On the type r, it still does it when warm... just quieter
Your opinion is that it sounds like keys. To some, like myself, it sounds like metal grinding on metal. It also sounds exactly like the sound captured in the OP's video (which also sounds like metal on metal to me), so we are all very likely talking about the same thing.
Sponsored

Last edited: