Metal on metal sound out of nowhere

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Bro it was absolutely nerve racking. I got out of the car expecting the exhaust to be dragging down my driveway lol
My favorite part of it happening is driving past people and they have the 'man what a hoopty that thing is' look on their faces as you grind on by. LOL
Sponsored

Patriots1959

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
It used to happen to me all the time. So annoying.

Issue completely went away after switching to Girodisc front rotors.

Still on OEM rears. Never had problems there.
How much did the Girodisc front rotors and labor cost?
Does it create less break dust than the OEM rotors?

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yoooo same thing happended to me last month, shit drove me insane but i knew it wasnt big because there wasnt any vibration. but shit was loud i got looks from my neighbors coming home lmfaoo

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Girodisc front rotors are $800 for the pair. Have used Girodisc SS pads with them. They cost about $140 per set so not unreasonable. Use for street and track driving. Dust is low. Good stopping power and no rock noises so far in the 2+ years I’ve used them.

I’m a DIY type when it comes to the type R, so do not know what it would cost to install. The job isn’t difficult, so hopefully it wouldn’t be too much.

Here is a link to step by step instructions complete with photos if decide to tackle it yourself.

How much did the Girodisc front rotors and labor cost?
Does it create less break dust than the OEM rotors?

Last edited:

mim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, 2011 Nissan 370z
Country flag
At this point, this might as well be the rite of passage for anyone owning the type r.
LOL can confirm. Got mine this summer, has happened twice so far. First time it happened it was in the summer and I fixed at home, second time was a couple weeks ago and I took it to the dealer hoping for a more permanent fix. They blamed my winter wheels. "The Honda wheels are better at preventing this from happening." Oh reallllly?? ?

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, that's bullsh*t lol

I'm pretty sure I got another stupid rock in one of my wheels this morning because it rained a crap ton over night so bunch of rocks and potholes. I'm using stock wheels, just changed to Michelin PS4S

LOL can confirm. Got mine this summer, has happened twice so far. First time it happened it was in the summer and I fixed at home, second time was a couple weeks ago and I took it to the dealer hoping for a more permanent fix. They blamed my winter wheels. "The Honda wheels are better at preventing this from happening." Oh reallllly?? ?

mim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, 2011 Nissan 370z
Country flag
Yeah, that's bullsh*t lol

I'm pretty sure I got another stupid rock in one of my wheels this morning because it rained a crap ton over night so bunch of rocks and potholes. I'm using stock wheels, just changed to Michelin PS4S
Haha... yeah. I guess I just need to drop a tool in my car to fix this when it happens. Driving home with that sound is godawful.

My husband had a '94 Civic many years ago. Same thing happened to his. Some things never change!!

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Oh, yeah, this is definitely a thing. I live on a dirt road, in a state with bad winters, lots of sand and salt on the roads, and crumbling pavement. I have become well acquainted with this horrible sound.

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I basically just wait till I have 20 mins to pop the wheel off and get the rock out with a pick tool. Last time I had the dealer look at it, they didn't get all of it...

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I basically just wait till I have 20 mins to pop the wheel off and get the rock out with a pick tool. Last time I had the dealer look at it, they didn't get all of it...
Easiest I've found it just put a power washer at the shield edge and start blasting.

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really should invest in one of those

lexro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2006, Civic Sedan Sport 2019, Type R 2021
Country flag
I've always gotten by push/rocking the brake shield behind the rotor slightly. Last time a 3mm size pebble fell out. It honestly felt as good as popping a pimple.

rtypefk8

First Name
rtype
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type R
Country flag
I've always gotten by push/rocking the brake shield behind the rotor slightly. Last time a 3mm size pebble fell out. It honestly felt as good as popping a pimple.
yep, this worked for me, too

TIEPAR

First Name
Rock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1983 1.5DX
Country flag
Happens all the time in my area, getting rocks stuck in the dust shield. They are constantly resurfacing the roads around me with that sticky spray stuff and oil...I hate it. In fact, it actually caused my rear caliper to seize and grind the brake pad to the rotor. I had to have the whole caliper replaced, and rotors....not cheap.

Holy crap, its goin on with me too. they are redoing the roads in front of my office. When it happened my front and rear breaks were grindin bad. I soaped and pressure washed the crap outta my breaks and rotors but still have uneven grind on the rear rotors. Takin my car to the dealership, hopefully not too late.
Sponsored