Met a wonderful, atypical CTR owner today...

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
Late this morning I was walking home from yet another failed attempt to get a COVID vaccine, when I saw a nicely-dressed older woman helping someone out of a blue CTR into a wheelchair. I peeked into the car, expecting to see a younger driver, but nobody was in the driver's seat. At that point, the woman asked me about the nearest Walgreens, so of course I asked if it was her CTR.

Indeed it was! She seemed to be in her 60s, and was going on and on about its excellence. She was taking her 95-year-old mother to get a second vaccine, and extolled the practicality, saying "I can put my grandbabies in the back seat, and mom's wheelchair in the hatch!" She had put smaller wheels on it to deal with the potholes, which makes perfect sense for anybody near Philly. She was incredibly friendly, and a true enthusiast.

How awesome is that?
Sponsored

RTC975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type-R
Country flag
Know a few CTR owners in their 60’s. I’m in my 40’s. Good people and no chest pounding. Refreshing tbh.

type_ramen

First Name
Keiothic
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
being in that upper age bracket, what makes you gents and ladies interested in the car? Is it a longing for Honda's DNA that was never been in the US before? Love at first sight? Or general interest in value centric performance cars? Just curious :)

RTC975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type-R
Country flag
Long time Honda owner. Back in to the mid 80s. All of them manual. This was my last chance at a brand new manual car. It also fulfilled the 90s teen in me to have a legitimate Honda with red H badges on it and not a stickered or red badged Si. It had to be an R.

Arch

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
being in that upper age bracket, what makes you gents and ladies interested in the car? Is it a longing for Honda's DNA that was never been in the US before? Love at first sight? Or general interest in value centric performance cars? Just curious :)
I'm 5 Type-Rs deep here in the UK, 4 of them Civics ? Me and that red H badge, we got a thing!

Bob_L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Civic Type-R
Country flag
Like fk-eight, I'm closer to 50 than 40. My wife's all time favorite activity is to go for rides. Not drive, but to ride. We joke that she must have been a golden retriever in a previous life - living large with her head out the window with her tongue hanging out. :) Anyways, the vehicles we have are boring to drive, so I didn't particularly enjoy going on rides, ahem, drives. So, we decided that my next car should be fun but still practical, which rules out most sports cars (or any 2 door in my opinion). The Type-R fit the bill. Now, we have the best of both worlds - a practical car that I love to drive... and a way for her to go on rides more often!

-bob

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not an R owner, but hey us 60 something year olds are still pretty cool. Being a teen in the 70's was awesome.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Let's see...306 hp, 280 something torque, six speed manual, body styling from the future, surgical handling, practical and TURBRO! YO! What's not to like?

On a serious note I've been a performance car kinda guy all my life. My first love was sports cars and while the Type R is not a "stereotypical" sports car it certainly hits a lot of the marks for me. It's quick, fun and handles extremely well. Can't wait for parking lot racing to resume so I can try out the R. I have another toy to enjoy that is a sports car with 380 hp all wheel drive and totally impractical.

Just because we've got some wrinkles and gray hair doesn't mean life is over.

Life is good for this OLD dude.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I just turned 50 a few weeks ago. ? At 16 my dream car was a CRX Si but the insurance rate for a 16 year old kid was just insane. That wasn't gonna happen. So after driving a beater Buick Century for a few years, I got a Civic Hatchback which was my daily driver for the next 18 years. Almost completely trouble free except once a sensor died and starter motors would keep wearing out. I kept replacing them with remanufactured units which also kept dying quickly. The red paint was faded to pink by the time I sold it to a friend who gave it a good life as a crazy tuned resto-mod something or other. During that time I was also an ITR owner so the CTR is right in line with my taste in cars.
Sponsored

Last edited: