Messed up my new Si rim, tire, and under-guard. Repairs in the works.

ActiveArch

First Name
Nubar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just curb-rashed my wheel, tire, and plastic under-guard panel. :banghead:
Big bummer as my Si is just a few weeks old. I just screwed up backing out of a dark and narrow driveway, front right wheel scraped against a small cmu brick I didn't see. The driveway was curved and sloped, I should have been more careful but for some reason, I just kept my eyes on the backup display and didn't pay enough attention to the side as I angled out. Anyways, shit happens, on to figuring out the repairs. Any advice will be appreciated. Here are my plans so far...

Rim: I'll be making an appointment with a well-reviewed place I found on Yelp in Beverly Hills LA called Ace Auto Recon Mobile Repair. Apparently a guy comes to you with his van and does it all on the spot. It was the best I could find on Yelp with 5 stars 380 reviews. I'm really hoping he'll be able to live up to the reviews, people were really raving about their experience but I can't help but still feel a bit skeptical about a flawless and totally unnoticeable repair. If anyone else has any recommendations for rim and wheel repair in the greater LA area, please let me know. The rim is the only thing that really bothers me whereas the plastic and tire are whatever, they're there to wear. Never had to repair a curb-rashed rim before so I'm just hoping this repair works out and is priced well.

Tire: Seems the sharp edge of the cmu brick peeled off a small patch like 3 or 4mm off the thickest part of the tire closest to the edge of the rim, pretty much on the sidewall where the tire meets the rim. It's still hanging on by a thinner piece and didn't tear off completely. Sorry for the poor image, I'll try to post a couple better close-ups tomorrow. I want you guys to see if you think it might affect the longevity of my tire especially under the more extreme driving condition like int he canyons or something, if so I might just have to replace the tire too, especially considering there's no spare, but I honestly think it's fine and won't really affect the tire. I'm legit thinking of just super-gluing it back on there so it's not just hanging off or flailing around.

Plastic under-guard: Just bought a $30 heat gun off Amazon, think so far plans are to raise the front of the car on a couple of ramps to completely remove it from underneath, the OEM lip seems to be a whole front-end piece right? Is it pretty straight-forward to remove? I'm assuming 8 screws or something of the like. I'm going to just try to heat it up and push it back to the correct position as best as possible. I'm ok with it not being perfect, just don't want it to stick out so much. I don't know how, but I'm thankful the brick just missed the body/paint, that would have been horrible. I guess this gives me a good reason to replace the plastic with a different lip entirely. Keep seeing some aero-dynamics ones on here that look pretty sweet.

Honda Civic 10th gen Messed up my new Si rim, tire, and under-guard. Repairs in the works. 14AA917F-FB91-4F53-B1EE-37F29C192406

Honda Civic 10th gen Messed up my new Si rim, tire, and under-guard. Repairs in the works. IMG_0003 2

[UPDATE]
I took the car to a tire shop to get the rubber checked out, they confirmed there was no metal showing and it was just cosmetic, performance of the tire should not be affected. I ended up purchasing some slime rubber cement and just stuck it back on there. Saw today theres another small piece, I'll cement that back as well, it sticks on strong and it unnoticeable afterwards.

GOT THE RIM REPAIRED! Cost me $150. Here's the pics of it after. The guy who I called was indeed really kind and I think he did a great job for what he had to work with, the rash is completely gone and you would never tell it was scratched, you can only find where the work was done if you're aware of it and you kneel down in front of the rim to take a close look. I'm very happy with the result and don't mind having payed $150 at all due to the quality work that was done on it.

Now I just need to repair the dented plastic guard but that'll be another day as it's 115 degrees out today, no way I'm firing up the heat gun in this weather.

Honda Civic 10th gen Messed up my new Si rim, tire, and under-guard. Repairs in the works. IMG_0026

Honda Civic 10th gen Messed up my new Si rim, tire, and under-guard. Repairs in the works. IMG_0027

Honda Civic 10th gen Messed up my new Si rim, tire, and under-guard. Repairs in the works. IMG_0028

Last edited:

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
I've messed up the plastic pieces under the front and while a pain to replace, they're not expensive from the dealership. Specifically, the piece right behind the grill, and whole "underbody" piece with the metal cover.

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
It's hard to say what your options are from that picture. Worse case, you will need to replace both.

Wxguru

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring x2
Country flag
You need to be realistic about the rim repair. That's a pretty bad rash...he or she may fix it enough for it not to stand out....but getting it back to near new....I don't think so. These rims are kind of a pain in the ass like that.

OP
OP
ActiveArch

ActiveArch

First Name
Nubar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've messed up the plastic pieces under the front and while a pain to replace, they're not expensive from the dealership. Specifically, the piece right behind the grill, and whole "underbody" piece with the metal cover.
Yeah I looked up the underbody piece. It’s like $67 on the estore. Weird thing about the estore is they don’t list any parts for the sedans, only coupes and hatches. I looked up the underbody piece on the coupe Si, I assume it’s exactly the same piece for the front end. Can anyone confirm this? Couldn't find anything googling or on the forum, but I'm assuming that's due to the fact that for a part like this, they're all probably the same.

Last edited:

OP
OP
ActiveArch

ActiveArch

First Name
Nubar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You need to be realistic about the rim repair. That's a pretty bad rash...he or she may fix it enough for it not to stand out....but getting it back to near new....I don't think so. These rims are kind of a pain in the ass like that.
Yeah man, I got a quote for $150 but they said since that part of the wheel is machined they’ll have to also machine it but there will be a slightly visible variance, it’ll look better obviously, but I’ll see where the repair was done. Now I’m torn between getting it repaired for the peace of mind since I cringe every time I see it, or save the money and put it toward an actual mod. I impulsively went ahead and made the appointment for Friday but I just might cancel, I’ll update with what I end up doing.

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
How much are the Si wheels typically? I'm assuming they don't sell them individually. Anyone recommend a good place that they have bought from before, to get them?

OP
OP
ActiveArch

ActiveArch

First Name
Nubar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Save up for a new rim and then use your rashed rim as a full size spare and buy yourself a nice jack and jack stands and a 4 way tire iron.
Was actually thinking of doing this, it’s not a bad idea.

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How much are the Si wheels typically? I'm assuming they don't sell them individually. Anyone recommend a good place that they have bought from before, to get them?
They sell the part number individually. I'm actually selling a (4) set for around $400 + shipping. If you want them just send me a message.

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
They sell the part number individually. I'm actually selling a (4) set for around $400 + shipping. If you want them just send me a message.
Thanks man, but I was just wondering out of curiosity. I don't actually need one. Appreciate it though. That's a great deal, hope someone picks them up!

OP
OP
ActiveArch

ActiveArch

First Name
Nubar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
and I'm selling a whole SET for 400 :)
Already got mine repaired (updated pics in original post) so I won’t need it either but dude, that’s a steal. I’m sure you’ll sell the set pretty quickly.

OP
OP
ActiveArch

ActiveArch

First Name
Nubar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got the rash buffed out, the guy I went with did a pretty great job so I’m happy with the result, no more eye sore. From a distance it’s completely unnoticeable, can’t see it unless you get close and know where to look. Updated with pics in the original post.