Megane RS Brembo BBK

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
Anyone have these installed? With some of our members in europe sharing the availability of this kit it got me intrigued.

https://k-system.pro/en/product/bbkcivicxgen/

https://hondaperformances.com/gb/br....html#/376-brembo_big_brake_kit-no_brake_pads

The second link even has a wheel fitment template, which isn't very printer friendly, but works with a bit of massaging. If I printed it up properly with the correct dimension, the template is about the same size and no bigger than the Stoptech template. The 27won template has more clearance than the both of these for reference. Couldn't find a template anywhere for the Genesis brembo calipers but I think they are even wider?

I contacted k system about the total cost of the kit without rotors and pads and they quoted 859 EUR + 78 EUR for shipping to the states. The kit uses rotors from 350Z with brembos (324x30) which from a thermal capacity is a big upgrade compared to an Si (312x25) and even more so for non-Si. The 350z rotors are about 3 lbs heavier than Si rotors though. Not sure how much the Megane calipers weigh but I'm sure it's less than the Si caliper to make up for some of the weight gain on the rotors. Doing some further digging around, I think the piston sizing on the Megane calipers are 40mm on all 4 pistons compared to a single 57mm piston on the oe caliper. Not sure how much that affects the stock brake bias but someone smarter than me could probably give an estimate. And pad choice should be no problem as the Meganes uses the D1001 pad shape which the Evos and STis use.

Some plain centric rotors for the 350Z brembos are about $200 and then a decent set of pads are another $100. So looking ~$1300 for the complete kit. Intriguing option since the calipers are brand new, rotors can be had for cheap, plenty of pad availability, and quite a bit cheaper than 27won, wilwood, stoptech. Only question outstanding is if the brake bias is negatively affected.
Sponsored

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
'06 - '12 Renault Megane/clio RS : 4piston brembo monoblock calipers with 40/40mm pistons.
Oem rotor is 312mm x28mm,total height 63mm.These are used on several 10th gens in europe with a adaptor from Freakyparts uk or K-System.pro These calipers have very good wheel clearance and will fit most wheels.Mostly due to the fact these are radial mounted.

I have searched for these calipers before and back then they could be bought brand new from a online renault shop for 430euro for both calipers.
Calipers .(Dollar and euro are almost equal these days )
Only downside is you still need to buy the adaptors from k system or make your own.
The brake bias will be off But it seems the abs unit can cope with it without any problems.There are several people running acura rl calipers and those have even bigger pistons.
If you want to have the brake bias the same you need to have 328-330mm rotors and 36/40mm calipers pistons.
For example porsche 986 boxster S calipers(monoblock).

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Here's the rough math for anyone considering this option:
  • Piston area is 1.5% smaller than stock
  • Rotor diameter increases by 4%
  • This results in bias moving forward by 2.5%
As far as swapping brakes from other cars goes this is about as good as you could hope for. The one thing I'm not a fan of is the fact that the pistons are the same size. Staggered size pistons give more even pad wear but if you're not track driving it probably won't make much of a difference.

We are starting testing our brake kit now, it changes bias by less than 1%, and uses a rotor with more thermal capacity than the 350z rotor while being as cheap and having a plethora of both 1 and 2 piece rotor options. The calipers are a proper motorsport caliper as well which makes them much more capable than an OE retrofit 4 piston caliper. We'll be announcing it in the next 4-8 weeks after we've got the results we want from testing :)

OP
OP
pinhead66

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
Here's the rough math for anyone considering this option:
  • Piston area is 1.5% smaller than stock
  • Rotor diameter increases by 4%
  • This results in bias moving forward by 2.5%
As far as swapping brakes from other cars goes this is about as good as you could hope for. The one thing I'm not a fan of is the fact that the pistons are the same size. Staggered size pistons give more even pad wear but if you're not track driving it probably won't make much of a difference.

We are starting testing our brake kit now, it changes bias by less than 1%, and uses a rotor with more thermal capacity than the 350z rotor while being as cheap and having a plethora of both 1 and 2 piece rotor options. The calipers are a proper motorsport caliper as well which makes them much more capable than an OE retrofit 4 piston caliper. We'll be announcing it in the next 4-8 weeks after we've got the results we want from testing :)
You are that smarter person than me:thumbsup: thanks for doing the math and that’s great to know it doesn’t affect bias too much. Looking forward to the bbk. I already have the strut locks and rear caliper bushings. Will the calipers come with piston dust seals for street use?

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
You are that smarter person than me:thumbsup: thanks for doing the math and that’s great to know it doesn’t affect bias too much. Looking forward to the bbk. I already have the strut locks and rear caliper bushings. Will the calipers come with piston dust seals for street use?
Thanks for your business! The calipers we're using (evaluating both AP and PFC) do not use dust seals. Dust seals tend to melt on track (they melted long ago on our development car's RSX retrofit calipers). They are useful for street driving if you drive in very dusty environments (dirt roads) or in areas with salted winter roads, but outside of that they don't make a huge difference for the longevity of the caliper. I've driven cars with dust bootless calipers on the street plenty and have not had issues, granted that was also not through salted winter roads and I hardly ever drive down dirt roads.

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Si Swap
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for your business! The calipers we're using (evaluating both AP and PFC) do not use dust seals. Dust seals tend to melt on track (they melted long ago on our development car's RSX retrofit calipers). They are useful for street driving if you drive in very dusty environments (dirt roads) or in areas with salted winter roads, but outside of that they don't make a huge difference for the longevity of the caliper. I've driven cars with dust bootless calipers on the street plenty and have not had issues, granted that was also not through salted winter roads and I hardly ever drive down dirt roads.
Any updates on your brake kit? I have the 27Won but pad and rotor costs have me regretting my purchase.

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Any updates on your brake kit? I have the 27Won but pad and rotor costs have me regretting my purchase.
At the moment we are shooting for a Dec/Jan release provided there are no unforeseen issues.