tomljc2016

Honda Exterior Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Solara 2004
If any of you live in Washington state and a fan of the new Civic like me, just drive to the auto show and take a first look in person here!

I think it is the first auto show debut in the US? It's incredible, the car looks fantaaaaaaaastic in person, after seeing so many pics from the internet, I was thrilled to be here and be able to touch it and feel the cool exterior design of it.

Though I have seen the design of this new Civic since 2013 when I was the exterior designer at Honda R&D, it's still a huge hit for me today. However today I was not allowed to enter the car cuz the embargo n stuff, can't get you guys some photos that are taken from a real customer point of view, but since I have tried this interior last year, I guarantee you guys it's is SPACIOUS and .... I wanna continue but I gotta stop..

The guy from Honda at the show says the Touring model is gonna be 28000 something after tax and stuff. So I suppose the MSRP would be 25500-26000.

I am 5'7 and look how low the car is....

Honda Civic 10th gen Meeting the 2016 Civic in person at the Seattle Auto Show!! 2016civic-seattle1
Honda Civic 10th gen Meeting the 2016 Civic in person at the Seattle Auto Show!! 2016civic-seattle2
Honda Civic 10th gen Meeting the 2016 Civic in person at the Seattle Auto Show!! 2016civic-seattle3
Honda Civic 10th gen Meeting the 2016 Civic in person at the Seattle Auto Show!! 2016civic-seattle4
Honda Civic 10th gen Meeting the 2016 Civic in person at the Seattle Auto Show!! 2016civic-seattle5
Honda Civic 10th gen Meeting the 2016 Civic in person at the Seattle Auto Show!! 2016civic-seattle6
Honda Civic 10th gen Meeting the 2016 Civic in person at the Seattle Auto Show!! 2016civic-seattle13
Honda Civic 10th gen Meeting the 2016 Civic in person at the Seattle Auto Show!! 2016civic-seattle7
Honda Civic 10th gen Meeting the 2016 Civic in person at the Seattle Auto Show!! 2016civic-seattle14
Honda Civic 10th gen Meeting the 2016 Civic in person at the Seattle Auto Show!! 2016civic-seattle9
Honda Civic 10th gen Meeting the 2016 Civic in person at the Seattle Auto Show!! 2016civic-seattle10
Honda Civic 10th gen Meeting the 2016 Civic in person at the Seattle Auto Show!! 2016civic-seattle11
Honda Civic 10th gen Meeting the 2016 Civic in person at the Seattle Auto Show!! 2016civic-seattle12
Honda Civic 10th gen Meeting the 2016 Civic in person at the Seattle Auto Show!! 2016civic-seattle8

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
Great pix! Thanks very much tomljc.+++

Originally Honda said it was going to get over 40 mpg on the hwy. Guess that just went down by a couple. Oh well.

But once in a while I get 40 mpg on the highway in my 2013 Accord, and so I think Honda tends to be cautious with its numbers.

But since the current Civic is already rated at 39 on the hwy, it's a little bit of a letdown. But it's bigger, more powerful, much faster, etc., etc.

OP
OP
tomljc2016

tomljc2016

Honda Exterior Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Solara 2004
Great pix! Thanks very much tomljc.+++

Originally Honda said it was going to get over 40 mpg on the hwy. Guess that just went down by a couple. Oh well.

But once in a while I get 40 mpg on the highway in my 2013 Accord, and so I think Honda tends to be cautious with its numbers.

But since the current Civic is already rated at 39 on the hwy, it's a little bit of a letdown. But it's bigger, more powerful, much faster, etc., etc.
Yeah they tend to be cautious with the specs and stuff, America is their prior market they won't cheat otherwise it's a disaster for the company. Look what happened to VW with a minor cheat.... Gas mileage has been one of the top considerations for the customers here so they won't do tricky things about it.

Well if you keep you ECON mode on when you drive maybe you can get the number over 40mpg as well for this new Civic? :) not sure about how does turbo affect it tho.

OP
OP
tomljc2016

tomljc2016

Honda Exterior Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Solara 2004
Man, I might have to buy a touring just for those headlights.
The guy from Honda at the show says the Touring model is gonna be 28000 something after tax and stuff. So I suppose the MSRP would be 25500-26000

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
The guy from Honda at the show says the Touring model is gonna be 28000 something after tax and stuff. So I suppose the MSRP would be 25500-26000
Nice I was hoping as a best case scenario for $26k. Could then fight for some money off sticker.

Also I wonder if it's going to be making an appearance at the Miami auto show beginning of November.

Last edited:

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
Maybe he meant 28k after destination? Tax varies from state to state....

OP
OP
tomljc2016

tomljc2016

Honda Exterior Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Solara 2004
Nice I was hoping as a best case scenario for $26k. Could then fight for some money off sticker.

Also I wonder if it's going to be making an appearance at the Miami auto show beginning of November.
But since there is an embargo so I was not sure if what he says is the real deal. Let's just wait until 19th and we will know everything. Normally brand new model won't be given too much space of negotiation for the MSRP price but maybe Costco would provide a better deal.

Yes I am pretty sure you will be seeing the new car at the Miami show since the Seattle one is not one of the three major auto shows in North America either but there is the new Civic being presented.

OP
OP
tomljc2016

tomljc2016

Honda Exterior Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Solara 2004
Maybe he meant 28k after destination? Tax varies from state to state....
What he said was after tax and the tax rate here in Washington state is 9.5%. And he also said that after insurance and other things(I didn't pay attention to that cuz I wasn't planing to buy the touring trim anyway..) it would be 30k. But for this price you can buy a 2016 Accord in EX-L so I doubt the price will go over 28k after tax.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
First auto show pics nice! I wasn't a fan of the silver color in any pics I've seen, even from the reveal event, but it looks great in your pics.

And thanks for serving as a model :) The car really is low and not too big looking at all compared to your height/size (no offense).

10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Great photos thank you. Those two dimples on the front bumper look like they're going to be there on every car?
Wish they wouldn't come with those license plate mount guide dimples from the factory and instead let owners decide if they want to drill their front bumpers.

Viva la vida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
Thanks for the pics Tom! what were your impressions of the length? From this pic it really doesn't look as elongated as some others that have been posted and has me less worried about how it will look when I finally see it in person. What do you think... are pics making it look longer than it really is?

Honda Civic 10th gen Meeting the 2016 Civic in person at the Seattle Auto Show!! 2016civic-seattle8

Tony503

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic HB Sport Touring
Country flag
I was there too! I was not expecting to see this there but was pleasantly surprised. Some cars don't look as good in person but I think this one lives up to the pics we've seen. The Burgundy Night Pearl is really dark, at least under the lights at the show. I'd say the pics above are pretty color accurate. You'd have to look really hard to see purple, otherwise it looks black.

Also, since I haven't seen anything announced about the length I took an informal measurement - my shoes happen to be 12 in long and I got about 14 3/4 foot lengths (177 in) so it would actually be a little smaller than the 9th gen (179.4 in). Again, really informal measurement by me just putting one foot in front of the other and counting.

back2civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
370Z
Hey Tom, since you worked for Honda R & D, maybe you can answer this question for me. On the lower front bumper, why is one of the air dam covered up next to the left fog light, and on the right side the fake mesh air dam has a few holes in it?

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was there too! I was not expecting to see this there but was pleasantly surprised. Some cars don't look as good in person but I think this one lives up to the pics we've seen. The Burgundy Night Pearl is really dark, at least under the lights at the show. I'd say the pics above are pretty color accurate. You'd have to look really hard to see purple, otherwise it looks black.

Also, since I haven't seen anything announced about the length I took an informal measurement - my shoes happen to be 12 in long and I got about 14 3/4 foot lengths (177 in) so it would actually be a little smaller than the 9th gen (179.4 in). Again, really informal measurement by me just putting one foot in front of the other and counting.
Wow!!! So seeing it visually you would actually guess it to be shorter in length than the 9th gen? That's actually quite a shock. Even if you're measurement are only vaguely correct that's a huge statement that they could make the car look so large and long while not really increasing the size much (maybe an inch or two).

I totally thought the car was black, surprised the BNP is actually that dark.
Sponsored