OP
tomljc2016

tomljc2016

Honda Exterior Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Solara 2004
First auto show pics nice! I wasn't a fan of the silver color in any pics I've seen, even from the reveal event, but it looks great in your pics.

And thanks for serving as a model :) The car really is low and not too big looking at all compared to your height/size (no offense).
Glad you like these pics lollll, well it is larger than current Civic and is indeed not too large for a compact sedan, from the exterior point of view, it has that feeling of driver-centered, easy-to-handle setup. So I think it is good for those people who are looking for one with spacious interior and truck yet still wanna enjoy the sportier response out of compact car ;)
Sponsored

OP
OP
tomljc2016

tomljc2016

Honda Exterior Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Solara 2004
Great photos thank you. Those two dimples on the front bumper look like they're going to be there on every car?
Wish they wouldn't come with those license plate mount guide dimples from the factory and instead let owners decide if they want to drill their front bumpers.
Looks like that these air-intake garnishes on two sides of the front bumper are gonna be on every model. There are also two tiny round indentations on the mid front number, it lets you to whether drill it or not I suppose.

OP
OP
tomljc2016

tomljc2016

Honda Exterior Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Solara 2004
Thanks for the pics Tom! what were your impressions of the length? From this pic it really doesn't look as elongated as some others that have been posted and has me less worried about how it will look when I finally see it in person. What do you think... are pics making it look longer than it really is?

Honda Civic 10th gen Meeting the 2016 Civic in person at the Seattle Auto Show!! {filename}
Well I didn't feel particular longer, all my attentions were on its width and the height of its roofline. And I don't remember those package dimensions. Let's wait for the 19th :)

OP
OP
tomljc2016

tomljc2016

Honda Exterior Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Solara 2004
I was there too! I was not expecting to see this there but was pleasantly surprised. Some cars don't look as good in person but I think this one lives up to the pics we've seen. The Burgundy Night Pearl is really dark, at least under the lights at the show. I'd say the pics above are pretty color accurate. You'd have to look really hard to see purple, otherwise it looks black.

Also, since I haven't seen anything announced about the length I took an informal measurement - my shoes happen to be 12 in long and I got about 14 3/4 foot lengths (177 in) so it would actually be a little smaller than the 9th gen (179.4 in). Again, really informal measurement by me just putting one foot in front of the other and counting.
Thank you Tony for the info! It was a shock to me too cuz I thought it's auto show debut would be on LA's in November. The dark purple one to me is a little bit depressing because I can't see the purple tone over 10 feet away....but once get close up, the purple tone finishing just makes the car looks more expensive :)

OP
OP
tomljc2016

tomljc2016

Honda Exterior Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Solara 2004
Hey Tom, since you worked for Honda R & D, maybe you can answer this question for me. On the lower front bumper, why is one of the air dam covered up next to the left fog light, and on the right side the fake mesh air dam has a few holes in it?
Hi, I have noticed the same thing. The covered left air-intake garnish only exists on the Touring trim as far as I've observed through published photos. It is completely subjected to the engineering, no designer would block it with a plain piece of something just like that for aesthetic purposes. The real purpose of it I don't know, I think it's a secret yet. The right side of the mesh garnish has a feel holes because either that the cross-section of the mid lower air-intake is not large enough for the radiator, or it has some fancy safety features in it :)

OP
OP
tomljc2016

tomljc2016

Honda Exterior Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Solara 2004
Wow!!! So seeing it visually you would actually guess it to be shorter in length than the 9th gen? That's actually quite a shock. Even if you're measurement are only vaguely correct that's a huge statement that they could make the car look so large and long while not really increasing the size much (maybe an inch or two).

I totally thought the car was black, surprised the BNP is actually that dark.
Yeah the purple one looks really dark... Hope it will look better on roads under natural sunlight. The lighting in this showroom was really bad

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
Just a guess here, but I wonder if that 39 mpg hwy rating is just a place-holder from the current Civic, while we wait for the official numbers on the 19th? Honda's press release of a few weeks ago did promise "class-leading fuel efficiency." Currently the class leader is the Mazda3 sedan, which gets an EPA highway rating of 41. It seems like the 2016 Civic has to match that to qualify as "class-leading." And to be picky, that would be "class-matching." Leading actually suggests that they are beating all of their competitors and getting 42 mpg on the highway for most models of the 2016 Civic.

http://hondanews.com/releases/honda...he-most-ambitious-remake-of-civic-ever?page=4

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Basically looks like we are getting a lighter slightly less powerful Honda tsx.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Hi, I have noticed the same thing. The covered left air-intake garnish only exists on the Touring trim as far as I've observed through published photos. It is completely subjected to the engineering, no designer would block it with a plain piece of something just like that for aesthetic purposes. The real purpose of it I don't know, I think it's a secret yet. The right side of the mesh garnish has a feel holes because either that the cross-section of the mid lower air-intake is not large enough for the radiator, or it has some fancy safety features in it :)
Most likely it is for the Adaptive Cruise Control. It needs a radar to detect the distance of the car in front of it. Forward Collision Warning and CMBS might use that or a sensor mounted in front of the rearview mirror.

mjones5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot, 2004 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda Civic
Wow!!! So seeing it visually you would actually guess it to be shorter in length than the 9th gen? That's actually quite a shock. Even if you're measurement are only vaguely correct that's a huge statement that they could make the car look so large and long while not really increasing the size much (maybe an inch or two).

I totally thought the car was black, surprised the BNP is actually that dark.
The Mulberry color of the HRV looks black but when the sun or lights hit it you can see the glimmer of purple specks in the paint. I think it is a nice color and what I want for my new Civic.

tnmz6i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Accord Coupe
The "blank" panel next to the driver side fog light covers the radar sensor used in FCW and ACC and maybe some of the other Honda Sensing features. Don't know why they can't hide it better than that. 2016 Accord is the same way. The 2013-2015 Touring Accords have an exposed "lens" of sorts instead of a blank panel.

cae

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
grom
The factory orange peel in that wheel shot looks pretty terrible. Something else to keep in mind with the 39MPG highway rating is that they're not using low rolling resistance tires to artificially inflate that number. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to real world results. I saw 40MPG hypermiling in an HHR with a ladder on the roof, I would hope Honda could manage the same or better. It's shaping up to go head-to-head against the Mazda 3, but one area I really hope Honda dominates is NVH. The 3's NVH was bad enough to be a deal breaker for me.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
The factory orange peel in that wheel shot looks pretty terrible.
Wow, that is bad. And on the pic above it. Is that typical of recent Honda paint? Or maybe just one factory in particular.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
Just a guess here, but I wonder if that 39 mpg hwy rating is just a place-holder from the current Civic, while we wait for the official numbers on the 19th? Honda's press release of a few weeks ago did promise "class-leading fuel efficiency." Currently the class leader is the Mazda3 sedan, which gets an EPA highway rating of 41. It seems like the 2016 Civic has to match that to qualify as "class-leading." And to be picky, that would be "class-matching." Leading actually suggests that they are beating all of their competitors and getting 42 mpg on the highway for most models of the 2016 Civic.

http://hondanews.com/releases/honda...he-most-ambitious-remake-of-civic-ever?page=4
Good points. Also, I think it unlikely that both new engines will get exactly the same hgwy mileage.
Sponsored