Mechanical Over-rev / Money Shifted

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If I’m not mistaken 1st gear goes though the high 20’s low 30’s.
Yeah I thought there was a lockout that engages over like 10 MPH or something though. Maybe I'm thinking of reverse lockout.
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Yeah I thought there was a lockout that engages over like 10 MPH or something though. Maybe I'm thinking of reverse lockout.
Reverse does lock out after like 10 MPH. It would make no sense to lock out 1st gear in the same way as you could rev match down shift into 1st without damaging anything at speeds higher than 10.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Reverse does lock out after like 10 MPH. It would make no sense to lock out 1st gear in the same way as you could rev match down shift into 1st without damaging anything at speeds higher than 10.
Yeah you are right. I never downshift into 1st so I wasn't sure haha

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Yeah you are right. I never downshift into 1st so I wasn't sure haha
I generally don't as well, but I have done it going like 12 or 15 before on accident; my brain said to go to 2nd, my hands went to first :p

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Speaking of lockout, my 370Z locked out 1st in any speed above say 5-10 mph. Was nice to have that in place. But, due to rev matching in the Z many times I just accidentally "touched" 2nd or 3rd in a tense spirited moment and thought the damn engine was going to explode. But, it never did.

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
So I dun goof'd and money shifted pretty hard from 3rd to 2nd. Doing a pull vs a buddy of mine and as I was at the top of third going into fourth, in one swift motion I clutched into, put it into 2nd gear (by accident) let go of clutch and went back on the gas, as soon as I heard the rev's shoot up I immediately clutched back in. All that happened witihin the same second. I scanned the car and have the dreaded p0219 "engine over-speed condition" code stored in the ecu. I have since erased it, drove around and had no codes come up

It's been 1 day so far. I've been driving the car pretty hard (harder than usual) to see if it will act up but so far so good. Idles smooth, no new noises, still pulls hard. I called a local shop known for building/tuning Honda's and asked their opinion after explaining my situation. They told me If the car is running fine I am most likely ok but to be sure I can get a compression test done + run it on the dyno. Have my appointment later this week, Guess we'll see....

edit- Just wondering. Has there been any documented engine failure due to miss-shift on the Type R? I've read through a few of these posts and OP always seem to turn out fine. The comments have usually been people giving stories of other makes/models failing from miss-shift but I haven't seen a CTR failure?

Last edited:

MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
So I dun goof'd and money shifted pretty hard from 3rd to 2nd. Doing a pull vs a buddy of mine and as I was at the top of third going into fourth, in one swift motion I clutched into, put it into 2nd gear (by accident) let go of clutch and went back on the gas, as soon as I heard the rev's shoot up I immediately clutched back in. All that happened witihin the same second. I scanned the car and have the dreaded p0219 "engine over-speed condition" code stored in the ecu. I have since erased it, drove around and had no codes come up

It's been 1 day so far. I've been driving the car pretty hard (harder than usual) to see if it will act up but so far so good. Idles smooth, no new noises, still pulls hard. I called a local shop known for building/tuning Honda's and asked their opinion after explaining my situation. They told me If the car is running fine I am most likely ok but to be sure I can get a compression test done + run it on the dyno. Have my appointment later this week, Guess we'll see....

edit- Just wondering. Has there been any documented engine failure due to miss-shift on the Type R? I've read through a few of these posts and OP always seem to turn out fine. The comments have usually been people giving stories of other makes/models failing from miss-shift but I haven't seen a CTR failure?
I’m assuming your tuned?
I actually wasn’t aware the car would throw a code like that for over rev. News to me.
Likely you dodged a bullet like a lot of us on here. Normally you’ll know it right away. Hope everything checks out

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
I’m assuming your tuned?
I actually wasn’t aware the car would throw a code like that for over rev. News to me.
Likely you dodged a bullet like a lot of us on here. Normally you’ll know it right away. Hope everything checks out
Actually I'm stock. Just a PRL HVI for now. I have a Hondata on order so I figure getting it dyno tested kills 2 birds with 1 stone since I wanted a baseline pull anyways

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Nope. No lights, no check engine. I only scanned the car because I've heard of the p0219 code that can get stored without a check engine light
Did you rescan it after clearing it the first time? As I understood it should be logged as a "permanent" DTC and can't be cleared.

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
Did you rescan it after clearing it the first time? As I understood it should be logged as a "permanent" DTC and can't be cleared.
Yes it was logged as a permanent dtc. I was able to erase it (yesterday evening). Drove around a bit last night, and to work this morning. At some point I was +/- 140mph. Rescanned after work, before making post, code still erased/no new codes

PetahxD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CBP Type R
Country flag
Yes it was logged as a permanent dtc. I was able to erase it (yesterday evening). Drove around a bit last night, and to work this morning. At some point I was +/- 140mph. Rescanned after work, before making post, code still erased/no new codes
How were you able to clear the permanent code?

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
I was pretty sure that our civics lockout 1st gear at 5+ mph. When I approach a light turning green and im just rolling at 5-10 mph, I can't shift it in 1st. I can feel the lockout disengage once I hit below 5 mph. Is it different for the type r because while tracking, going into 1st may have some use on a super tight hairpin?

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

Should be fine. I've got 20000kms of assorted driving and some track time with zero issues.

I even had them do warranty work on a head gasket replacement.
Sponsored