Mechanic Recommendations For Brake/Rotor Replacements?

Inferius7809

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R FK-8
Country flag
Hello, I have a Honda Civic Type-R FK-8, and it's time for a big brake job. I took it into the dealership for an oil change and tire rotation, and the service tech measured the brake pads, and they're all a bit on the low side (2mm on the back, 3mm on the front). Long and short of it, is for all 4 brake pads, a resurface on the back rotors, and replacement on the front rotors, as well as an engine and cabin air filter (but those are just kind of an aside), the dealership is wanting to charge around $1250 for everything.

Based on some stuff I've perused, it seems like the dealership is putting quite the markup on things. So, I'm looking for some good mechanic recommendations in the Phoenix, Arizona Metropolitan area who would be able to perform the replacement. I simply do not have the equipment to get my car off the ground, nor would I trust myself replacing the brakes myself.

I would like to keep things pretty much OEM. I'm really happy with the stock brake performance and what not, so not looking to upgrade or downgrade.

Thank you for any recommendations!
Sponsored

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Ive always done work myself, unless it was catastrophic failure covered by warranty or a/c work.
If you aren’t willing to learn(youtube if you dont have mechanic friends) and buy simple equipment and tools for home you are at the mercy of whatever place you take your car too. Any dealer will overcharge, they have a lot of overhead. I would look for a mom n pop honda/acura independent shop.

OP
OP

Inferius7809

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R FK-8
Country flag
Ive always done work myself, unless it was catastrophic failure covered by warranty or a/c work.
If you aren’t willing to learn(youtube if you dont have mechanic friends) and buy simple equipment and tools for home you are at the mercy of whatever place you take your car too. Any dealer will overcharge, they have a lot of overhead. I would look for a mom n pop honda/acura independent shop.
I am open to the idea of learning, like I've looked up how to do some other basic maintenance things for the vehicle. It's just brakes, I'm concerned about doing myself, because of how important they are.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
I am open to the idea of learning, like I've looked up how to do some other basic maintenance things for the vehicle. It's just brakes, I'm concerned about doing myself, because of how important they are.
Brakes are easy to do. Bolt off then bolt on. Then properly bed the brakes. I recommend getting blue loctite for the caliper bolts. Also hangers or bungy cord for the caliper so they arent dangling. If you are doing by hand you may bust your knuckles, i use air tools in the garage. Brakes are pretty similar in most gas cars. I personally have never torqued brakes to spec and never had a problem in my last 22 years of diy. But im sure you can find those torque specs online.
Bleeding the brakes i use my son to pump the pedal.

I haven’t done the brakes on the type R yet but the rear brake seems to be different than conventional set up’s. So i would search that up.

My 2 pennies

OP
OP

Inferius7809

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R FK-8
Country flag
Brakes are easy to do. Bolt off then bolt on. Then properly bed the brakes. I recommend getting blue loctite for the caliper bolts. Also hangers or bungy cord for the caliper so they arent dangling. If you are doing by hand you may bust your knuckles, i use air tools in the garage. Brakes are pretty similar in most gas cars. I personally have never torqued brakes to spec and never had a problem in my last 22 years of diy. But im sure you can find those torque specs online.
Bleeding the brakes i use my son to pump the pedal.

I haven’t done the brakes on the type R yet but the rear brake seems to be different than conventional set up’s. So i would search that up.

My 2 pennies
Thanks, maybe I'll look into the process, get a few friends together and see what we can do.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Inferius7809 here are links to front and rear brake pad maintenance and front rotor replacement along with brake bleed and bedding procedures….

Prior to the Type R I didn’t do much work on cars, so if I can do it… most people probably can also.

It may be in your interest to learn to DIY if the Type R is a keeper as pads tend to need replacing every 22k miles or so.. pads are cheap because it’s a Honda Civic at the end of the day. The money saved by DIY can be spent on tooling/lift or jacks and still come out ahead. Plus it’s fun :)

However, if you are able to find a trusted shop that does good work for reasonable prices that may be the way to go if don’t have the time to DIY.

I encourage you to check out the links below and read it throughly. I also have other DIY maintenance walkthroughs for a variety of other items for our cars listed the first post of the below threads.

The rear pad change procedure is important for you or your friends to be familiar with so not to ruin the calipers. I messed mine up the first go around so can attest to this. I use an Autel AP200 to put the EPB in and out of brake maintenance mode. There are also additional methods.

Have had to replace pads at around 22k miles. Street + some track.

Upgraded front rotors to Girodisc @22k miles. No more rock/dust noise since doing so.

First attempt @22k miles:

——————————
2nd cleaner attempt - revised write up @45k miles. Didn’t need to replace rotors this time plenty of thickness remaining. Listed it though for procedural completeness.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Inferius7809

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R FK-8
Country flag
@Inferius7809 here are links to front and rear brake pad maintenance and front rotor replacement along with brake bleed and bedding procedures….

Prior to the Type R I didn’t do much work on cars, so if I can do it… most people probably can also.

It may be in your interest to learn to DIY if the Type R is a keeper as pads tend to need replacing every 22k miles or so.. pads are cheap because it’s a Honda Civic at the end of the day. The money saved by DIY can be spent on tooling/lift or jacks and still come out ahead. Plus it’s fun :)

However, if you are able to find a trusted shop that does good work for reasonable prices that may be the way to go if don’t have the time to DIY.

I encourage you to check out the links below and read it throughly. I also have other DIY maintenance walkthroughs for a variety of other items for our cars listed the first post of the below threads.

The rear pad change procedure is important for you or your friends to be familiar with so not to ruin the calipers. I messed mine up the first go around so can attest to this. I use an Autel AP200 to put the EPB in and out of brake maintenance mode. There are also additional methods.

Have had to replace pads at around 22k miles. Street + some track.

Upgraded front rotors to Girodisc @22k miles. No more rock/dust noise since doing so.

First attempt @22k miles:

——————————
2nd cleaner attempt - revised write up @45k miles. Didn’t need to replace rotors this time plenty of thickness remaining. Listed it though for procedural completeness.
Thank you so much for all the info! I'll give it all a read and see if it's something I want to just tackle myself. Thank you so much!

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Front brakes are easy and you do not need to open the brake lines to change the front rotor. (Fatherpain's advice misses that you can remove the 2 x 12 mm bolts on the upright that fix the brake line there. They are on the opposite side of the upright than the caliper. Removing them does not open the brake line but allows enough movement to get the caliper out of the way and change the rotor). Another hint is to use channel lock pliers to retract the pad on one side (inner or outer, it doesn't matter) and then replace the new pad there before going to do the other pad. Makes it much easier to fit the new pads and retract the pistons.

Rear brakes are more complicated due to the electronic brake but at least the pads aren't too expensive.

Is that price for single piece front rotors or two piece rotors? I suspects the former. The aftermarket including Paragon and Girodisc have great 2 piece rotor options for significantly less than the dealer.
Sponsored