Measured gains with a 27won FMIC, downpipe, and intake?

jandr272

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Civic Si, ‘18 CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I’m looking at these 3 mods, alongside a tune, and was wondering if anyone has that setup alongside measured gains?

I’m beginning to understand what each component does, but aside from guessing at hp/torque gains, I’d really like to see measurable benefits to performance and power.

I’m really trying to avoid subjectively spending $2k on mods without really understanding what the benefit will be.

Looking into shifter upgrades, acuity makes it clear what benefit each piece is bringing, which means I’ll be buying a stage 1 kit plus a shifter rocker... versus a stage 2 or full shift assembly. Those parts are all I need to effect what I want to, if that makes sense?

I’m looking to get a better understating of all this so I spend my $ specifically and intentionally.
Sponsored

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
FMIC + DP + tune gives you the most bang for your buck. Intake gives you a tiny power boost and most people get it for the sound.

OP
OP
jandr272

jandr272

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
FMIC + DP + tune gives you the most bang for your buck. Intake gives you a tiny power boost and most people get it for the sound.
It doesn’t really bring much improvement to airflow over aftermarket ones? I’m assuming especially in light of FMIC upgrade?

It would make sense the biggest stovepipes would be the entry and exit of the turbo. It looks like the FMIC can reduce turbo lag and also improve power when done alongside a downpipe?

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
It doesn’t really bring much improvement to airflow over aftermarket ones? I’m assuming especially in light of FMIC upgrade?

It would make sense the biggest stovepipes would be the entry and exit of the turbo. It looks like the FMIC can reduce turbo lag and also improve power when done alongside a downpipe?
If you have a bigger turbo then the intake, front pipe, and exhaust may matter but for the stock turbo the differences are minimal.

I don't think we have much turbo lag to begin with and 27WON has some nice technical analysis for their products and there are no shortage of real world reviews to back up their gains. I'm not trying to sell you on them but I do like how involved they are with the community and how informative they are.

27WON Intercooler: https://store.27won.com/2016-civic-intercooler-upgrade-fmic-kit.html
27WON Downpipe: https://store.27won.com/10th-gen-civic-performance-downpipe.html

EDIT: I forgot to mention the intercooler is for heat soak, the power gain is a nice side benefit ;)

Last edited:

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
In general I'd probably agree with the sentiment here that the intake would provide the least gains of parts mentioned. However, 27WON is apparently close to releasing their Race MAF and PRL has shown appreciable gains on their Cobra system between the street and race housings. Something to consider in terms of supporting ultimately higher power goals.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
BTW if you didn't know, you can get the TSP Stage 1 tune free with Ktuner if you buy from Two Step Performance. There's a long thread about TSP Stage 1 on this forum and you'll definitely want to do some extensive reading on the subject.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The race MAF housing requires a tune, so that’s added cost.
Correct, he did say "alongside a tune" though so maybe he's open to custom tuning. To be fair any bolt on should be custom tuned to get the most out of it.

Edit: also Ktuner is apparently working on a calibration for the 27WON MAF so a custom solution may not be required

OP
OP
jandr272

jandr272

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the input guys. I’m definitely going to get a tune, likely the Phearable or TSP, once I’ve done the 2-3 bolt-ons.

The end goal is to remove the “idiot tax” from the factory setup, without putting unrealistic pressures on the drivetrain as far as longevity.

I’m hoping to end up near 250hp with a still very reliable daily driver.

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
In my humber opinion..........

An upgraded intercooler/charge pipe is the FIRST thing anyone should do on these cars. I planned for my Ktuner with Phearable tune to arrive at the same time but the intercooler/charge pipe is arriving tomorrow after COVID related production delays. I can tell you that doing more than one pull in succession on the stock intercooler in the extreme heat will make you (me, at least) that something is wrong with the car because of the extreme heat soak and subsequent timing pulled.

I would even venture to say that even if you are not planning on tuning or doing any other power mods, an upgraded intercooler still makes a lot of sense.
Sponsored