Mazda3 GT Turbo

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why buy a Type-R for $43K CAD when you can get a Mz3GTT for $37 CAD. More TQ on the Mazda (320 vs 295), more HP on the R (306 vs 250). Engine isn't everything but the Mz3GTT interior has a lot to say too. My wife got one a couple of months ago and it's forking incredible. I love my 2018 Si but glad I married onto the Mazda. It's a sleeper beast.
Sponsored

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
i actually like the mazda but no manual is a hard no go for me. plus the interior i think is too cramped compared to the R.
my wife has a 2021 toyota camry xse v6 and that is quite the sleeper.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
These two are totally different cars. The numbers don't tell everything, that Mazda is aiming for luxury experience as a brand, the Type R is chasing lap times. Different ethos, depending on what you want one or the other will catch your attention but I don't think they are massively cross shopped.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
In the 2.5 turbo trim the car is nearly 3400lbs, it's not very fast I wouldn't be comparing it with a true performance car like the CTR. The CTR is more than just Horsepower and Torque, the brakes, suspension, chassis rigidity, transmission, etc... in the US you would be just about 35k MSRP to have a model with navigation, a front air spoiler, and rear spoiler. Even if the aftermarket helped you increase the power to make it quicker, it will still be a lesser car.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
Just on appearance alone though, it'd have to be a big no no from me. I know it's a subjective thing, but the recent Mazda's are really ugly looking IMO.

PN_man

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si (Lunar Silver)
Country flag
Just on appearance alone though, it'd have to be a big no no from me. I know it's a subjective thing, but the recent Mazda's are really ugly looking IMO.
I know taste is subjective, but many (most?) people think that Mazda has some of the best styling. I personally love their look, but I did like the last generation Mazda 3 hatchback better than this one. The current sedan is beautiful to me.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
In the 2.5 turbo trim the car is nearly 3400lbs, it's not very fast I wouldn't be comparing it with a true performance car like the CTR. The CTR is more than just Horsepower and Torque, the brakes, suspension, chassis rigidity, transmission, etc... in the US you would be just about 35k MSRP to have a model with navigation, a front air spoiler, and rear spoiler. Even if the aftermarket helped you increase the power to make it quicker, it will still be a lesser car.
You can definitely compare them if you put an NFL offensive lineman in the passenger seat of the Type R.

Mazda 3 GT turbo is really nice but if going that route I'd rather have the Mazda 3 2.5 6mT. It's easy to find 300 hp automatic sporty cars.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They’re aimed at different demographics. The Type R is for older people who want to put a child seat or carry adults in the backseat. The Mazda is meant for people who have no children or don’t need to carry anyone they like on the rear bench. Once you attempt to put a child seat in the rear of the Mazda and try to seat someone taller than 5’-1” in the front, you’ll immediately run to the nearest CRV\RAV4\CX-5 dealer and put down a payment for a family hauler.

SichuanHot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The CTR and the Mazda 3 are totally different animals. One is a honed track star while the other is a budget luxury hatch. As other stated, power figures aren't the full picture.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I know taste is subjective, but many (most?) people think that Mazda has some of the best styling. I personally love their look, but I did like the last generation Mazda 3 hatchback better than this one. The current sedan is beautiful to me.
Really? Have you got some consumer-polling, market research, or literally any other real data to back that up other than a few anecdotes?

I appreciate you speaking on behalf of the entire market. Thanks for your sacrifice.

ShaRm3064

First Name
Sharmilan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda CIvic Type R #3064 Crystal Black Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why buy a Type-R for $43K CAD when you can get a Mz3GTT for $37 CAD. More TQ on the Mazda (320 vs 295), more HP on the R (306 vs 250). Engine isn't everything but the Mz3GTT interior has a lot to say too. My wife got one a couple of months ago and it's forking incredible. I love my 2018 Si but glad I married onto the Mazda. It's a sleeper beast.
Its more than just numbers...you have to drive both to decide what you're looking for. If you want comfortable daily get the Mazda. If you want a fast, fun practical car get the Type R. I driven both and the Mazda isnt even close when it comes to acceleration power tappers off bad after 5k rpm while the Type R will pull harder.
Sponsored