Maybe the touch screen climate control isn't so bad.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
I'm coming up on 1 year of ownership and I've come to the conclusion that the touch screen climate control isn't so bad.

I was thinking about my old car with the 3 knobs; temperature/AC, fan speed/Auto, directional/recirculation.

The only advantage it had was that I could turn the AC on/off or adjust fan speed without looking.

I had to look down at the knob for everything else because I first had to check where the knob currently was for directional, etc.

In the Civic, recirculation, defrost, rear defrost, temperature are buttons/knobs that I could hit without looking. For speed/direction I can hit the climate button without looking then only look to press once the setting screen comes up. Honestly the screen is higher so I feel this is safer than looking down at the knobs on my old car. In fact, it's easier to hit the defrost button now than to have to look down at the directional knob in my old car, see what setting it's in, then turn it to defrost.

The only thing I wish for is if they made the system on/off button an AC on/off and made system on/off software.
Sponsored

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I swapped the controls in my Si out for one that has a fan speed knob, I just could not live with out one.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
The left knob on my car controls auto temp, push turns auto on/off. The right knob controls fan speed, pushing it turns the fan on/off. After 8 mo I've gotten used to just leaving it in auto, as in my old 96 Civic I just kinna left the AC on permanently with fan speed at 3 out of 4, about 80% of the year. 1 and 2 were too slow, 4 would freeze my fingers. The turbo jet defroster is also a welcome thing, since it'll defrost in seconds instead of waiting nine hours for my old Civic to give some semblance of defrosting at all. I enjoy automation, and the less I have to dick with the better. I even enjoy the capacitive touch volume, and have gotten quite used to that as well. The only thing that's really missing from the AC interface is a button to turn on the AC, since auto may turn it off and simply vent outside air, which conflicts with manually bumping up the fan speed. Really it's just easier to crank down the auto temp and let it do its thing.

I get that it's not for everyone, but I much prefer keeping my hands on the wheel and eyes on the road (even when I have "autopilot light" engaged).

TechJunky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Admittedly I've only had my car a bit of two weeks, but I don't see touchscreen controls as being an issue for me. I can see where some people won't like it, and use the controls far more often. For my personal use, however, it's a non-issue. As I've done in my previous cars with automatic climate control, I just set it to "Auto" and only adjust the temperature. Only in extreme heat will I tend to adjust the controls to get air on me directly on an as-need basis, which isn't that often. Otherwise, Honda particularly does a pretty good job with the automatic function. And even when I have wanted to make manual adjustments, it was pretty easy to acclimate to the controls. Of course I would typically prefer simplicity, so leaving it as all hard controls would be preferred. But there's not much space to spare under the screen, and enjoy the shelf where my phone can sit, so the current setup works for me.

OP
OP

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
I gave up the passenger zone in favor of a physical fan control knob.
Interesting... So it's it single zone or is the passenger side stuck at whatever temperature it was set at least before you switched out the hardware?

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting... So it's it single zone or is the passenger side stuck at whatever temperature it was set at least before you switched out the hardware?

Single zone. which is fine with me.

senorg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring, 2005 BMW 330cic
Vehicle Showcase
This has never been an issue for me. 95% I leave it in auto mode. I got used to that on my last car, and haven't felt any great need to usually manually change the settings.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
This has never been an issue for me. 95% I leave it in auto mode. I got used to that on my last car, and haven't felt any great need to usually manually change the settings.
Hmm if i leave it in auto it always blows full blast. That’s why I don’t personally use it
Sponsored